There are 62 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Sports Illustrated's Jim Trotter talks Harbaugh, Alex Smith, and the 49ers defense

AUDIO: http://wpc.31d2.edgecastcdn.net/8031D2/xxsportsl/common/global_audio/40/40808.mp3

...and other topics around the NFL.

Good stuff!
[ Edited by PTulini on Nov 15, 2011 at 8:29 PM ]
"the niners locker room is getting a kick out of the whole game manager thing"

nice

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
"the niners locker room is getting a kick out of the whole game manager thing"

nice

Nice to know how think about the whole thing
I heard Trotter mention that GM Trent Baalke thought we would have an advantage with Harbaugh and his staff coming out of the lockout. It looks like that has come true.
I somewhat disagree with what Trotter said about Manusky potentially doing a better job than Fangio considering the offseason acquisitions i.e Rogers, Whitner, Smith ect. Manusky's defenses routinely gave up the big play, and I see that trend continuing in San Diego from what I've seen. This year the 49ers defense does not give up very many big plays. I don't see that as being all about personell. Scheme plays a role imo.
Agree with axe, Manusky always seemed a little off. Like he would call a heavy blitz but then have the CB lined 12 yards off the WR
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
I somewhat disagree with what Trotter said about Manusky potentially doing a better job than Fangio considering the offseason acquisitions i.e Rogers, Whitner, Smith ect. Manusky's defenses routinely gave up the big play, and I see that trend continuing in San Diego from what I've seen. This year the 49ers defense does not give up very many big plays. I don't see that as being all about personell. Scheme plays a role imo.

we don't go into prevent right after we get the lead

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/160212-chargers-have-times-more-talent-49ers/page7/ (post #95)
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/160212-chargers-have-times-more-talent-49ers/page7/ (post #95)

Post #96 actually, and thanks. I was going on more of my own observation, but that quote further disproves Trotter's opinion.
Originally posted by jreff22:

we don't go into prevent right after we get the lead
That's true. They play off a bit, but not the total prevent-a-win defense. I know nothing about this, but there must be degrees from just being careful to giving up pretty substantial yardage. With the super-accurate QBs that are around now, plus lots of great receivers, real prevents just are awful.
Originally posted by PTulini:
I heard Trotter mention that GM Trent Baalke thought we would have an advantage with Harbaugh and his staff coming out of the lockout. It looks like that has come true.

balkee also said he wanted to bring back the "culture of winning" which has also come true
I thought hiring Vic Fangio was a mistake, but I will gladly admit that I was wrong.
Also agree w/AXE - another point. Manusky had Brooks and he didn't have the type of season he is having now. Fangio is better