LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

The Secondary

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Brock was back in late. Cully got a concussion so he'll be back soon if he passes his tests
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Do you think we can get buy on the DB's we have? Maybe we should bring in vet CB as insurance.
Chris Cook will be activated next week.
Originally posted by Baldie:
Do you think we can get buy on the DB's we have? Maybe we should bring in vet CB as insurance.

We proved that we're at least 5 deep at CB and our starting safties are excellent IMO. Culliver & Brock looked good before getting hurt, Ward was great in the slot, Cox and Johnson stepped up big time when our starters got hurt & Cook wasn't even activated. No reason to go get anybody
Major MAJOR props to our secondary. We dodged bullets with Brock's toe...he looked fine at the very end of the game (no limp). Culliver got a concussion. And now we confirmed that Cox WAS our #3 CB (not Cook) and Johnson is our #4 while Cook is now slated as our #5. And they played terrific given the circumstances. Fangio loves his more exotic off-coverage schemes and that is more of a "team defense" concept which is a hell of a lot harder and more complicated that just jamming press coverage. It's funny how we've gone from major concerns about our secondary to zero concerns and it being a DEEP strength and the concerns have turned over to the DL and depth/run defense.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 8, 2014 at 7:33 AM ]
cox and culliver are overrated
  • buck
  • Veteran
Defensive backs came up big in Dallas.

Have to give Ed Donatell some props.

• hott
  • Veteran
Originally posted by diablo:
cox and culliver are overrated

At this point some could make the argument for Culliver, but Cox? He got cut by us and Seattle last year. Dude played big yesterday and you say he's overrated?
Originally posted by buck:

I don't think Fangio would ever want to become a HC, but I'm surprised no one has given Ed Donatell a look as a defensive coordinator again. He has been churning out DBs since he got here.
Perrish Cox needs to be a starter. He had one bad play but on that play he almost knocked away a deep pass plus his INT was sweet. he's got the size but he needs to not keep getting turned around. Jimmie Ward did good I felt. The whole secondary I felt played well considering the potentcy of the Cowgirls attack.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by buck:

I don't think Fangio would ever want to become a HC, but I'm surprised no one has given Ed Donatell a look as a defensive coordinator again. He has been churning out DBs since he got here.

In March, Ed Donatell signed a two year contract with the 49ers.

I guess that mean he should be with the 49ers for at least this year and next year.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2014/03/03/secondary-coach-donatell-also-returns-on-two-year-contract-fangio-could-get-new-deal-too/
we have some young DBs to groom for the future. so stoked!

D Johnson
Acker (guy which I like alot)
Ward
LJ McCray (another guy I think that can step in for safety after Bethea leaves)
Reid
Culliver
Brock
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
we have some young DBs to groom for the future. so stoked!

D Johnson
Acker (guy which I like alot)
Ward
LJ McCray (another guy I think that can step in for safety after Bethea leaves)
Reid
Culliver
Brock

+ Keith "The Eraser" Reaser (IR)

40 yard dash 4.3
Bench 22

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/178476-new-49er-keith-reasers-diary/page2/#post21

Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Perrish Cox needs to be a starter. He had one bad play but on that play he almost knocked away a deep pass plus his INT was sweet. he's got the size but he needs to not keep getting turned around. Jimmie Ward did good I felt. The whole secondary I felt played well considering the potentcy of the Cowgirls attack.

I thought that was a bad play (poor positioning) too until I rewatched it. Reid actually undercut him and bumped him just enough on that 56-yard Hail Mary. Reid even looked right up at him on the ground like, "Damn, sorry dude!"

I hope people aren't crying over Rogers, Brown and Whitner anymore.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Also give major respect to our secondary, however we still need to be very very careful about the pass rush. I know Fangio was playing off, but if that's Jay Cutler with all the time in the world to throw we're in trouble. Chicago's receivers are much better than the Dallas corps of receivers. I really believe if we going to the next game overconfident particularly in the secondary it could be a problem. I'm very much hoping Fangio sees this on tape that he's going to have to blitz a bit more creatively against Cutler. Or, sit Lemonier more and play Lynch.

the good thing about being on D all day was we got a lot of tape and reps...hopefully we can fix the issues this week
Share 49ersWebzone