LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

Harbaugh's Challenge on Last Drive--Genius!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I called it from the moment he threw the flag. I said he's giving the defense a rest and trying to stop the momentum of the Giants offense. Just like a basketball-style timeout. What's funny is that Joe Buck and Troy Aikman couldn't deduce that too...they were just confused.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Cheapest 3rd & 2 conversion. Harbaugh had a talk with the NFL about that. I think he knows the guideline for the shift. On side kick, offside on 3rd & 2, Eli INT, it all drives Coughlin up the wall. Love it!

In his interview that is up at NFL.com, Coughlin freely admitted that the 49ers stymied them in some cases and just surprised them in others. He clearly sounded frustrated. What they had hoped to do did not work.

This is awesome. It means teams have NO IDEA how to play us. They have tried to stop the run and we beat them with the pass. What will they try to do next time? If they let up vs the run next to help with the pass...can you say Frank Gore?

We are the most dangerous and balance team.
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 14, 2011 at 10:36 AM ]
It seems like there's always a play that Harbaugh pulls out each week that makes me go, "WHOA"

I was actually debating on making a thread each week pointing out the best one and doing an in-depth analysis on it. I gotta say, this weeks would have to be the 2 point conversion. That was one of the best plays i've seen in a long while. It was a sure conversion. Only thing that would have stopped it was the receiver (Crabtree in this instance) dropping it.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:
Cheapest 3rd & 2 conversion. Harbaugh had a talk with the NFL about that. I think he knows the guideline for the shift. On side kick, offside on 3rd & 2, Eli INT, it all drives Coughlin up the wall. Love it!

In his interview that is up at NFL.com, Coughlin freely admitted that the 49ers stymied them in some cases and just surprised them in others. He clearly sounded frustrated. What they had hoped to do did not work.

This is awesome. It means teams have NO IDEA how to play us. They have tried to stop the run and we beat them with the pass. What will they try to do next time? If they let up vs the run next to help with the pass...can you say Frank Gore?

OR Kendall Hunter

OR did you notice an Anthony Dixon citing?

Lack of success with the run early was due in part to Gore's injury, but to his credit, Roman did not give up. Maybe the most impressive call was the TD run with Hunter right after the INT. A lot of teams will try to throw for the score immediately after a big defensive play like that. Instead, Roman called a run play that had not been used all the much and NY was clearly surprised by the call. The blocking was good but the front 7 had basically jumped inside like they were expecting either another dive play or a pass. In either case, they were easily outflanked and Hunter read his blocks well and just outran the corner.

Good stuff.
nobody has mentioned that the ball was actually ripped out once he hit the ground. the replay they showed was only from one angle and the announcers didn't mention it. if harbaugh really had the thought of giving the defense a rest, hats off to him. guess i'm not as sure as everyone else that he was doing that.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Whomeam:
It seems like there's always a play that Harbaugh pulls out each week that makes me go, "WHOA"

I was actually debating on making a thread each week pointing out the best one and doing an in-depth analysis on it. I gotta say, this weeks would have to be the 2 point conversion. That was one of the best plays i've seen in a long while. It was a sure conversion. Only thing that would have stopped it was the receiver (Crabtree in this instance) dropping it.

Jerry Rice used to run that same play down inside the 5 yard line. That was right out of the old Bill Walsh Manual of Manly Football.

Jerry Rice used to run that same play down inside the 5 yard line. That was right out of the old Bill Walsh Manual of Manly Football.

I gotta rewatch the play, but maybe you can confirm my initial thoughts about it.

It seemed when I watched it live that all the WRs on the right side clogged the middle and right hand side up, making it almost impossible for to get to Crabtree for whoever was supposed to be eyeing him. Seemed like there was too much traffic and because of that, he could just waltz right in.

The innovation and the timing of our plays always goes back to ONE man: The Genius himself.
Rest in Peace Bill, I hope he's smiling down on our current state of the franchise. We're playing good, SOLID football. No gimmicks
  • sfout
  • Veteran

OR Kendall Hunter

Lack of success with the run early was due in part to Gore's injury, but to his credit, Roman did not give up. Maybe the most impressive call was the TD run with Hunter right after the INT. A lot of teams will try to throw for the score immediately after a big defensive play like that. Instead, Roman called a run play that had not been used all the much and NY was clearly surprised by the call. The blocking was good but the front 7 had basically jumped inside like they were expecting either another dive play or a pass. In either case, they were easily outflanked and Hunter read his blocks well and just outran the corner.

Good stuff.

Did you see MM's article about the game? I guess Alex was about to switch to the second play and Staley told him no and to stick with the run play. Then boom Hunter untouched for a TD. That's a true team, that a tackle will say "no we got this, keep it going" and they follow through.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
At the time it happened I was kind of thinking the same thing but I did think it was a stupid move because had the Giants scored then we would have needed that time out. Good thing the Giants never scored and JH looks like a genius.

Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Yea, I think everyone realized. It was pretty obvious. Too bad our D kept giving up those plays...

NY ran 70-72 offensive plays !

They were tired..give them a break for that one.
Originally posted by sfout:

OR Kendall Hunter

Good stuff.

Did you see MM's article about the game? I guess Alex was about to switch to the second play and Staley told him no and to stick with the run play. Then boom Hunter untouched for a TD. That's a true team, that a tackle will say "no we got this, keep it going" and they follow through.

Mooch broke it down on NFL Network. It was a thing of beauty. Hunter followed Miller untouched to the end zone. The blocking was perfect.
  • dj43

I gotta rewatch the play, but maybe you can confirm my initial thoughts about it.

It seemed when I watched it live that all the WRs on the right side clogged the middle and right hand side up, making it almost impossible for to get to Crabtree for whoever was supposed to be eyeing him. Seemed like there was too much traffic and because of that, he could just waltz right in.

That is basically the way it is supposed to work: They line up strong on the right side with the flow going back toward the middle. Rice, or in this case Crabtree, lines up in the backfield and runs in the opposite direction of the flow. The defenders get caught up in the flotsam and cannot get back outside to defend the easy short pass.

ARRGGHH, another dump off pass by Alex Smith. hehehe
GodDAMN do I love this team
Safe to assume we all knew he did that for this reason. I said it while watching. I liked the move.
Share 49ersWebzone