LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

Harbaugh's Challenge on Last Drive--Genius!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This is what real coaching is all about!

JH and the whole coaching staff can do much more than draw up an excellent game plan. They are improving individuals' performance like Crabtree, ASmith, DWalker. They also know when to act to give their warriors a rest.

How very refreshing to see this all coming together.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Shifting lines to get off sides, proper time out management, amazing game planning....

CotY.

I still feel like some of our shifts are too abrupt... that offsides call could've gone against us depending on the refs. Worked this time, didn't work last time.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by johnnyredneat:
An analysis of the challenge call is up at http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7232735/this-game-inches

Bill Barnwell: basically, it's a brilliant call.

1. Because it gives our defense a breather
2. There's a small chance that either Manningham did bobble it or that the refs blow the call.
3. (Here's the true genius of it) You can't take challenges with you. Our timeouts were not going to be a factor, and all challenges 2 min and in, or in OT, are automatic. So it makes total sense to burn a challenge on any late game critical play. There's literally no downside to it, and yet coaches decline to do it all the time. And then they finish the game with two meaningless challenges in their pocket.

I honestly feel that (some) coaches don't follow this challenge strategy because they're afraid of being embarrassed. And that's a form of egotism too - putting your own reputation before the team's chances of winning. People who call Harbaugh an egotistical guy should ponder that.

Awesome post!!!
I remember he did this earlier this year and said so in the post-game presser. Forgot which game though. Great coach.
Originally posted by dhp318:
I still feel like some of our shifts are too abrupt... that offsides call could've gone against us depending on the refs. Worked this time, didn't work last time.

We'll see. I know Coach has inquired and had discussions with the league about it, so he's probably figured out how to do it without getting ding'ed for a penalty.
I was thinking the same....

BRILLIANT
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Shifting lines to get off sides, proper time out management, amazing game planning....

CotY.

I don't think so. I rewatched that and the movement appeared normal. It's just that MOST teams don't ever move the on the line player first. When there is a WR/TE combo shift where one backs off the LOS, that player is usually the 2nd one to move and it is usually in cases where the WR shifts up toward the line and then the TE, moves back almost simultaneously but the player moving up is always just a hair of a second before the TE so the defense expects this shift and they don't move. WE have the guy on the line move first and from unexpected locations or at unexpected times which causes the Defense to move.
If that was his intent that was genius...i was thinking not smart cause if they scored we might of needed that extra time out...but makes sense to challenge as the time out is longer and allowed the defense to rest up...
Originally posted by Kolohe:
An analysis of the challenge call is up at http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7232735/this-game-inches

2. There's a small chance that either Manningham did bobble it or that the refs blow the call.
3. (Here's the true genius of it) You can't take challenges with you. Our timeouts were not going to be a factor, and all challenges 2 min and in, or in OT, are automatic. So it makes total sense to burn a challenge on any late game critical play. There's literally no downside to it, and yet coaches decline to do it all the time. And then they finish the game with two meaningless challenges in their pocket.

I honestly feel that (some) coaches don't follow this challenge strategy because they're afraid of being embarrassed. And that's a form of egotism too - putting your own reputation before the team's chances of winning. People who call Harbaugh an egotistical guy should ponder that.

Awesome post!!!

Cheapest 3rd & 2 conversion. Harbaugh had a talk with the NFL about that. I think he knows the guideline for the shift. On side kick, offside on 3rd & 2, Eli INT, it all drives Coughlin up the wall. Love it!

Yea, I think everyone realized. It was pretty obvious. Too bad our D kept giving up those plays...
  • dj43
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Awesome post!!!

^^^^^
  • dj43
Originally posted by Wubbie:

We'll see. I know Coach has inquired and had discussions with the league about it, so he's probably figured out how to do it without getting ding'ed for a penalty.

Good recall. I do remember Eric Davis saying after the call went against them two weeks ago that the 49ers would likely consult with the league office on how that play should be called.
It was a brilliant move by Harbuagh. Just another reason why he should be coach of the year.
  • dj43
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Cheapest 3rd & 2 conversion. Harbaugh had a talk with the NFL about that. I think he knows the guideline for the shift. On side kick, offside on 3rd & 2, Eli INT, it all drives Coughlin up the wall. Love it!

In his interview that is up at NFL.com, Coughlin freely admitted that the 49ers stymied them in some cases and just surprised them in others. He clearly sounded frustrated. What they had hoped to do did not work.
Share 49ersWebzone