There are 149 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is missing from the Offense now??

Originally posted by HearstFan:
So each week we've seen the offense expanded, and the players have handled the game play really well -- KUDOS to the coaches for getting this amazing thing accomplished with a limited offseason, and to the players for getting it done!

Given the above, what is still missing from the offense? From what I have seen so far:

1. Deep seam, post, and flag routes. Given that Davis/Smith were successful at this before, that is a little surprising, but I think defenses have keyed on Davis to take that away. With Ginn and Edwards, I expected we would at least see flashes of these deep routes, but we haven't really yet. A lot of deeper in routes, or sideline routes, but not deep middle or flag routes. Wonder if this is JH's typical restraint from installing everything at once, or maybe with Smith's arm strength and limited deep threat receivers this isn't something we'll develop?

2. Screen game -- would have expected to see more screens to slow down the pass rush - particularly with Gore and Hunter. But this hasn't shown up much either.

Other aspects?

This.

Basically...the expansion of the passing game. I have a feeling though that Harbaugh is going to really keep opening it up. We saw him finally open it up yesterday and it paid off. Alex finally had his "I'm the one" moment.

(Someone w/photoshop skills should work some magic with this).

A WR who can get YAC and bust into the end zone
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
This.

Basically...the expansion of the passing game. I have a feeling though that Harbaugh is going to really keep opening it up. We saw him finally open it up yesterday and it paid off. Alex finally had his "I'm the one" moment.

(Someone w/photoshop skills should work some magic with this).

Great picture to depict Alex's season!
Originally posted by overthemiddle:
could you imagine what the Zone would become if the missing link was Tebow.
Recognizing how difficult it has been for three different NFL teams to defend the option run by Tebow, Harbaugh may want to think about adding some of these college concepts by utilizing Kaepernick. It's amazing how Tebow was able to give KC and Oakland such a hard time. These professional teams appear to be simply unprepared/untrained for that. It would be interesting to see if Harbaugh exploits some of these weaknesses in professional teams.
Originally posted by 49erDynasty:
Originally posted by overthemiddle:
could you imagine what the Zone would become if the missing link was Tebow.
Recognizing how difficult it has been for three different NFL teams to defend the option run by Tebow, Harbaugh may want to think about adding some of these college concepts by utilizing Kaepernick. It's amazing how Tebow was able to give KC and Oakland such a hard time. These professional teams appear to be simply unprepared/untrained for that. It would be interesting to see if Harbaugh exploits some of these weaknesses in professional teams.

Right now the Broncos are using a single wing formation which is really old football and its a formation that I love especially if they use the buck-lateral series which they wont. Problem with it is its like when the wildcat first started it is succesful but it didnt take long to adjust to it. I am not a Tebow hater in fact I wish him well as I did Alex. I like good people to succede. So yes it might work for a bit but shortly adjustments will be made and it will be doomed. I suspect Harbaugh has a package for Kaepernick.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
deep threat wr, hopefully desean sees free agency

no way, Lead last year and maybe this year in drops

Desean Jackson > all our receivers.

too much attitude if that can get fixed im all for it
  • fryet
  • Veteran
The thing that concerns me the most is third down efficiency. If we get better there, then our offense will explode. The next thing we need to improve is red zone offense. Get those 2 working efficiently, and Green Bay doesn't stand a chance.
Originally posted by fryet:
The thing that concerns me the most is third down efficiency. If we get better there, then our offense will explode. The next thing we need to improve is red zone offense. Get those 2 working efficiently, and Green Bay doesn't stand a chance.

Great point from one month ago but unfortunately it hasn't happened. I think we all got used to steady weekly offensive improvement starting from the Youngstown trip through Giants game. In the broadest sense the offense has evolved very well with the running game first and then Alex stepping up and improving. But it's the little things that are becoming more critical. As we saw on display yesterday in Arizona, if we don't get buttoned up on these stress plays (3rd down & red zone) we're screwed come postseason. Obviously we're only going to go as far as our offense can take us.

As to what's missing? Take your pick. Aggressive play calling, crisp execution, talent on the perimeter . . . all of the above?
touchdowns
Play designs from the Webzone elite.....
What the Rams just ran on a 3rd and 13 against the blitz...Roman needs to incorporate that.
Originally posted by susweel:
This Crabtree has been a disappoint for a #10 pick.

Bro are u kidding me? It took some time barring the early season injury but he's been the number one reciever and steps up big for us. Even though his stars would be better of not for a few bad called back plays. There's 3 games left and if he can find a way to gain 340 yards he's our first 1000 yard reciever since 02 with T.O. I know it's alot to gain but remember we are a run first team and really don't throw alot with 3 to 4 good receivers plus a good TE and a great TE. There's alot of sharing to b done and he still is doing better then everyone on the team. If he was on the packers or patriots he would kill the star sheet. He is becomIng really good really fast and I think next year could break out to great.

Bro are u kidding me? It took some time barring the early season injury but he's been the number one reciever and steps up big for us. Even though his stars would be better of not for a few bad called back plays. There's 3 games left and if he can find a way to gain 340 yards he's our first 1000 yard reciever since 02 with T.O. I know it's alot to gain but remember we are a run first team and really don't throw alot with 3 to 4 good receivers plus a good TE and a great TE. There's alot of sharing to b done and he still is doing better then everyone on the team. If he was on the packers or patriots he would kill the star sheet. He is becomIng really good really fast and I think next year could break out to great.
post it again, i wanna read it one more time