LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 399 users in the forums

If you could acquire one player and make them a 49er...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Paul Blart
Revis by far. Not a player in the league close to him. Dude shuts down half the field on game days
  • dj43
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by SF2AZNiner:
Aaron Rodgers.............

Hard to argue this one, the only QB in NFL history that has mastered the unstoppable "Back-shoulder" throw.

He is playing at a level that is as good as anyone who has ever played the game. Right now he is a combination of Dan Marino with the amazing quick release and arm strength and Joe Montana with the incredible accuracy and awareness. He would be WAY ahead of anyone else you could possibly name for this.

Rodgers is playing well right now but he is not the best ever, or even close to it, IMO. I've seen Marino, Montana, Bradshaw, Young, and a half dozen others that are the of, or better than Rodgers. To be the best ever, it will take more than one playoff run + half a second season to be in that conversation.
Ice T
Aaron Rodgers or Revis Island
Rogers would be amazing with our TE duo, but he still wouldn't have WRs to pass to. Yeah yeah, Edwards and Crabs. Meh. I'd love to see Polomalu playing behing our dynamic ILB duo. Teams already get crippled playing against us. With Head and Shoulders, it would be a blood bath.
[ Edited by 02-10DidNotHappen on Nov 15, 2011 at 11:24 PM ]
Revis or Calvin Johnson.

We haven't had an ELITE CB or WR in years.
I don't know how people saying anyone other than Rodgers can be serious. Yes, Alex is playing better than he has, but it should be clear he will never reach Rodgers's level, or even really approach it.

The importance of an elite QB cannot be overstated. Rodgers has a team with no real running game or defense, with a good/great receiving core, and the team just won a superbowl and is still undefeated this season. Look at what Peyton Manning was able to do with the Colts for so many years just by being so good at the position.

Now compare that to what Nnamdi suffered through in Oakland, or what Fitzy's been through post-Warner, or all of Megatron's years in the league. Every single one of those teams was a bottom dweller for multiple years despite having a top 1-2 WR or CB on the team.

Hopefully my point has been made about the general importance of elite QBs over elite players of any other position, especially in the sense of a franchise. And hopefully it goes without saying that Rodgers is just playing at a ridiculous level right now, and is still extremely young for a QB (http://i.imgur.com/LxNxu.png).

The only argument that some people make is that "our biggest weakness is at CB/WR/etc and not QB." This may be true, but it's not like QB is a position of strength. Alex is playing the best football of his career, but I would still take probably half of the QBs in the league over him. We already have the league's #1 defense, wouldn't it be better to improve our offense from below average to elite instead of incrementally improving our defense?
Ndamukong Suh
Originally posted by backontop:
Really? Because Alex Smith seemed to do just fine today. I was thinking anyone thinking anyone other than Revis is an idiot and deserves to be shot seems how our secondary was raped all game long!

An edorsement of Rodgers is not an indictment of Alex. Alex is doing exactly what we need right now and playing very well. People get so sensitive about the Alex garbage. Anyone that cannot see that Aaron Rodgers is the best Qurterback in the game right now, needs to go to Miami and hang out with Nolan so that you can be with someone else that doesn't see that Rodgers is better than Smith.

Originally posted by Rathman_44:
Originally posted by backontop:
Really? Because Alex Smith seemed to do just fine today. I was thinking anyone thinking anyone other than Revis is an idiot and deserves to be shot seems how our secondary was raped all game long!

An edorsement of Rodgers is not an indictment of Alex. Alex is doing exactly what we need right now and playing very well. People get so sensitive about the Alex garbage. Anyone that cannot see that Aaron Rodgers is the best Qurterback in the game right now, needs to go to Miami and hang out with Nolan so that you can be with someone else that doesn't see that Rodgers is better than Smith.

This statement is ridiculous. Rodgers is the best right now because of the coaching and team around him, Nolan had no idea what to do with Alex. Anyone that cannot see what Alex Smith is doing this year needs to go hang out with Harbaugh so you can be with someone that knows a thing or two about quarterbacks.
Josh Scobee
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Like it or not, the passing game is a weakness. Even with a weak secondary, the defense holds the opposing team to very few points. Offensively, the passing game is lacking no matter how well Alex is doing. Rodgers is the best QB in football and can make the close wins we got not-so-close.

I can't believe the Homerism some people display.

You take away those receivers and Rodgers is not as good as he is now. He has had five years with that system and the majority of those guys, he wouldn't be doing the same with our wideouts. And who the hell cares about how close a win is? Last time I checked, they were all the same.
Revis
Mike Singletary
Share 49ersWebzone