LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

How Long Should an Extension/New Contract for Alex Smith Be?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How Long Should an Extension/New Contract for Alex Smith Be?

I was going to say 3 years. But the way he is playing. If this continues honestly we need to offer him 4 - 5 years at real good money. Not super elite money. But real good. He's playing at that leavel and deserves it.
Fitzpatrick got a 6-year, $59m contract with $24m guaranteed.

Smith should expect something similar
Originally posted by nickbradley:

no way in hell alex should get that unless he dominates from here on out, in the playoffs and wins the sb. bills were just happy they finally were getting adequate play from a qb but sooner than later theyre gonna be kicking themselves for giving fitzpatrick that money

He wins a playoff game, I can accept that.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:

He's going to make in the $10 Million / year range. You guys who think it's less are unrealistic. Who knows? If he continues his development with 2 years in the same system it might end up being a bargain.
If he finshes say 13-3, 5 years ave 15 mil. He ain't going to be cheap, because from what I can tell right now, there isn't but 1 team whose QB doesn't have 3 or more losses. Considering he has beat 3 teams who are 6-3 (NY, Cincy, Detroit) wiht 2 of them being away games, he would garner a lot of attention.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
no way in hell alex should get that unless he dominates from here on out, in the playoffs and wins the sb. bills were just happy they finally were getting adequate play from a qb but sooner than later theyre gonna be kicking themselves for giving fitzpatrick that money

Fitzpatrick is 29 years old with a career quarterback rating of 75.9. 60 TDs, 54 INTs, 9,200 yards passing, 850 yards rushing, 48 starts. 191 passing yards per start.

Alex Smith is 27 years old with a career quarterback rating of 75.3. 62 TDs, 56 INTs, 11,100 yards passing, 550 yards rushing, 59 starts. 188 passing yards per start.

Nearly identical numbers.
3 YRs $17-20 mil., 4th year option for $9 mil.

And two young QBs as trade bait.
Originally posted by fryet:
If Alex continues to play decent, I think he has earned a 3 year contract. I think he will earn a 4+ if he wins a playoff game.

word
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by smithgdwg:

He's going to make in the $10 Million / year range. You guys who think it's less are unrealistic. Who knows? If he continues his development with 2 years in the same system it might end up being a bargain.

15 years 135milli
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

Fitzpatrick is 29 years old with a career quarterback rating of 75.9. 60 TDs, 54 INTs, 9,200 yards passing, 850 yards rushing, 48 starts. 191 passing yards per start.

Alex Smith is 27 years old with a career quarterback rating of 75.3. 62 TDs, 56 INTs, 11,100 yards passing, 550 yards rushing, 59 starts. 188 passing yards per start.

Nearly identical numbers.

Wow, I did not know this.
i say 3 yrs due to his willingness to fight through all the bad times. also, it gives colin enough time to prepare to be a pro qb.
Super Bowl Win: Give him a blank contract and let him fill it out.
Originally posted by 9erHIGH:
Originally posted by fryet:
If Alex continues to play decent, I think he has earned a 3 year contract. I think he will earn a 4+ if he wins a playoff game.

word
I think you underestimate the year Smith is having. I think he gets at least a 3 year contract now and probably a 5 year one after this Giants game. Smith's agent would be stupid not to get him a 5 year contract with a 15 to 20 million guart. number.
Share 49ersWebzone