There are 224 users in the forums

What does the team do with Alex Smith after this season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What does the team do with Alex Smith after this season?

• Nuns
  • Veteran
Ideally, 3 year 15 million. If he wants more than that, franchise him and see if he can do it two years in a row. If he does, pay the man.
Originally posted by Nuns:
Ideally, 3 year 15 million. If he wants more than that, franchise him and see if he can do it two years in a row. If he does, pay the man.

Can't franchise an unrestricted free agent.
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
the last time the Niners let go a competent QB was Jeff Garcia--and then we went through years of hell. I'd sign alex to 2-3 years--but he'd have to understand if he is the best he will play--if kaep or someone else is--they will play.

Every player in the NFL knows that. That's why contracts nowadays include guaranteed money, but the players have to protect themselves in case the teams suddenly want to get rid of them because of their expensive contracts.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Oh yes also, The San Fransisco 49ers owe nothing to Smith, get a grip, dude has millions++++ stashed.

do you not realize, he got compeletely f**ked coming here??? we and everyone else called him a bust. no one could have done it. not saying hes a franchise...now he has a huge part in making the playoffs and we let him walk. lmao. we owe him a second year with harbaugh. i dont care how much anyone wants to hate

This organization has helped him stay in this league much longer than he probably would have with another organization. As much as Alex fans like to hate Nolan and Sing....those two were the BIGGEST Alex fanboys around initially till their jobs were on the line. They constantly made excuses for him, threw other players under the bus for him...and tried to make things as comfortable as possible for Alex so he would not have to look over his shoulder. Nolan traded Rattay when it was not best for the team, and Sing traded Shaun Hill when it was not best for the team. The organization tried to draft players to help him on offense. After 2 years they got him offensive weapons who would later make the Probowl. Just because it didn't work out with players like Kwame Harris shouldn't be a reason for some to view the organization "screwing" Alex.

As far as offensive coaching situations....apparently Nolan made a good choice with McCarthy and later (as most Alex fans would tell you) made another good choice with Norv....well both were picked to be HCs. Nolan tried to do Alex a favor again by bringing back his QB coach THAT ALEX WANTED, to be his OC, just so he would stick with the same terminology and Alex wouldn't have to learn a new system. Sing did the same thing with Jimmy Raye....even though Jimmy sucked "because" Alex *needed* to be in the same system for 2 years in a row....as most screamed.

I wouldn't say he got completely "f***ed"......any other team might have gave up on him after 2-3 years. He has never been known to win QB competitions during preseason games. If a team let Alex go, I couldn't really picture him fighting his way back to a starting role in this league......even though he is a hard worker.

Alex said publicly why he should be the 1st choice over Rodgers or any other QB......even though he had a short college career against weak competition in a gimmick offense. Any team that would have picked him in the first round and gave him 1st round money would have been in a situation where they would try to get him on the field as soon as possible......sure maybe he would have sat for one year. But there is no guarantee that he would have been chosen by a team with an establish veteran. If you ask to be chosen #1 overall, it is most going to be a team that is a struggling franchise. You are most likely not going to be put in the best situation where you can sit and learn. These teams pay alot of money to have these rookie QBs ride the bench. If the product on the field is not doing well, then there is ALOT of pressure to put these guys in there. That is just how things were at the time.
lmao sing and nolan are the ones who ruined him! Made excuse? Like when alex broke his collarbone and played! and threw him under the bus for basically being a weenie

Let's pretend for a minute that the 49ers could franchise Smith, the one-year franchise pay is close to the total of your 3-year deal. No one with the sane mind would sign the 3-year deal given the huge gap.
  • islam
  • Veteran
There is something truly wrong with the 49er fanbase if 49er fans are asking whether to resign Alex Smith? Of course you do , to a 4 year extension. Alex is only 27 years old and will only get better with Harbaugh. It truly disgusts me that the fanbase lacks football knowledge and is full of frontrunners. Like "WE WANT CARR". DISGRACEFUL!
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Can't franchise an unrestricted free agent.

Huh? Who else is left to franchise except for UFA's?
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
Huh? Who else is left to franchise except for UFA's?

My bad. Players can be franchised BEFORE they're scheduled to become UFA's. Next year the franchise tag for QB's will be over 17 million.

Ya lets give Alex 20 mill for 1 year
Originally posted by global_nomad:
sign both Alex Smith and Josh Johnson to a 2 year contracts. May the best man win.

lol I still dont get why people are so in love with Josh Johnson

can we trade for peyton?
http://youtu.be/yWtrjhpvbKA?t=2m50s
[ Edited by Natewillis2252 on Nov 12, 2011 at 2:33 PM ]
Originally posted by ItsKapTime:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
sign both Alex Smith and Josh Johnson to a 2 year contracts. May the best man win.

the only one who loves Josh Johnson is Jim Harbaugh.

that's good enough for me.

I think his development arc needs to continue on its current course through the regular season and into the playoffs with him getting just a little bit better every week. Assuming that happens $5 Million a year isn't going to get it done. We gave him $4 Million for this year not knowing what we were going to get. After a career year and a playoff appearance I think we'd be looking at something closer doubling his current salary to $8 Million . . . and possibly more if there's any competition.
Originally posted by ItsKapTime:

I think it's mainly because of the past Harbaugh connection.
Share 49ersWebzone