LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

What does the team do with Alex Smith after this season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What does the team do with Alex Smith after this season?

it will realy depend on how this season finishes. We get wins agianst NY, Balt and Pitt, then i think we resign for the longterm. He may chock in the Playoffs but i wont hold that against him. I doubt this question gets answered anytime before mid Jan.
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
it will realy depend on how this season finishes. We get wins agianst NY, Balt and Pitt, then i think we resign for the longterm. He may chock in the Playoffs but i wont hold that against him. I doubt this question gets answered anytime before mid Jan.

Agreed.

Originally posted by THEB:
kaep cant even give a handoff to hunter without running into him

This. You guys riding Kaep are totally unrealistic. He's not ready to play next year.
If we had a QB by any other name this year who was doing the exact same this that Alex is doing right now all he people saying to let him go would be screaming about how much better he is than Sle was and how we need to extend him.

The fact is that if you're not satisfied with a QB who is 7-1, has a 10-2 TD/INT ratio, and almost 100 QB rating you're a hater.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF4EVA:

wow.... low expectations huh?????? dude it make absolute no sense for another fa to come in. and learn the system, learn the players. once we make it to playoffs he deserves the stop gap til kap is ready period. I cant believe the smith disrespect still. The second we get to the playoffs he deserves a second season in the offense. The 9ners ruined him, harbaugh brought him back, 49ers owe it to him!
You resign him to a several years deal. He's rated 6th in the league right now with a 97.3 rating and 10 TD's and 2 INT's. He hasn't even had a full offseason or 2 years in the same system. Why couldn't he be better still next year? It's a myth that he's not part of why we are better. He's a big part of it.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Nov 11, 2011 at 7:26 PM ]
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boomer49er:
If we had a QB by any other name this year who was doing the exact same this that Alex is doing right now all he people saying to let him go would be screaming about how much better he is than Sle was and how we need to extend him.

The fact is that if you're not satisfied with a QB who is 7-1, has a 10-2 TD/INT ratio, and almost 100 QB rating you're a hater.

Originally posted by boomer49er:

This.
You resign him.

If Smith falters, Kaepernick takes over. It's not much different than right now.
Maybe ONE year more, nothing else. I don't see Franchise QB when I see Smith. I see game manager with a very very few big plays

Oh yes also, The San Fransisco 49ers owe nothing to Smith, get a grip, dude has millions++++ stashed.
[ Edited by Bali-Niner on Nov 11, 2011 at 7:38 PM ]
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Maybe ONE year more, nothing else. I don't see Franchise QB when I see Smith. I see game manager with a very very few big plays

I think the more reasonable solution is to give him a 4 or 5 year deal but put an escape clause somewhere in there. Alex is playing well enough for a long term extension we just have to cover the bases just in case.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Oh yes also, The San Fransisco 49ers owe nothing to Smith, get a grip, dude has millions++++ stashed.

do you not realize, he got compeletely f**ked coming here??? we and everyone else called him a bust. no one could have done it. not saying hes a franchise...now he has a huge part in making the playoffs and we let him walk. lmao. we owe him a second year with harbaugh. i dont care how much anyone wants to hate
I'd sign Alex at the average QB salary for 3 years. Alex enjoys playing for Harbaugh and will stay for a reasonable contract. He is also a team guy and really wants to prove himself.

Kaep is not ready and needs alot of work per NFL pundits. I believe that Harbaugh can teach him the fundamentals to be a top 5 NFL QB, but he needs time to adjust to NFL quality defenses.
Originally posted by irishluder:
I'd sign Alex at the average QB salary for 3 years. Alex enjoys playing for Harbaugh and will stay for a reasonable contract. He is also a team guy and really wants to prove himself.

Kaep is not ready and needs alot of work per NFL pundits. I believe that Harbaugh can teach him the fundamentals to be a top 5 NFL QB, but he needs time to adjust to NFL quality defenses.

co-signed
Share 49ersWebzone