LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 209 users in the forums

What does the team do with Alex Smith after this season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What does the team do with Alex Smith after this season?

• Adman
  • Veteran
I'm very curious to see what the team will do at the end of the season with Alex Smith. I'm figuring Alex continues to play well. But do we know what the coaching staff really thinks about him? What does the coaching staff think about Colin Kaepernick? How do they view him in comparison with Alex Smith?

As much as I like Alex Smith, I wouldn't be totally surprised if the coaching staff and front office decided not to resign him. Even if Alex continues to play well and play well through the playoffs.

What are your thoughts?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Trade him for Luck.
Pretty obvious we resign him. Let the young guys sit another season. We should draft another mid-late round QB, and then have the competition for our #1 backup and future successor of AS be between Kaep, Tolz, and rookie.
  • Adman
  • Veteran
Why is it obvious we resign him? If the coaching staff feels that Kaepernick can accomplish the same feat, why would they resign Alex?
Because if we get to the playoffs and make a splash, you dont let the QB walk who had a big part in the resurgence, and who is still very young, and instead go with the second year QB who could flop and possibly ruin a run in the second year of the offense. On top of that if we let Smith walk i think you still need to bring in a vet to be insurance.

Its much more logical to bring smith back and let Kap take his place by deseating AS in a more natural and less forced way.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Adman:
Why is it obvious we resign him? If the coaching staff feels that Kaepernick can accomplish the same feat, why would they resign Alex?

for one alex excels when he really knows a system. now that were going to the playoffs with him. why not give him a second year with the same system for the first freakin time?????? kap needs another year too
[ Edited by fan49 on Nov 11, 2011 at 5:59 PM ]
Originally posted by fan49:
for one alex excels when he really knows a system. now that were going to the playoffs with him. why not give him a second year with the same system for the first freakin time?????? kap needs another year too

This x100
  • THEB
  • Veteran
kaep cant even give a handoff to hunter without running into him
Its really a good question. I am an Alex believer however I think after the Steelers game would be a better time for it. For me I need more time to answer the question. I like Alex and I hope he comes back for at least another year. You have to wonder where this team will be next year after OTAs and pre season and with most of returners have a full season under the current regiem. It might be awesome next year. It wont hurt CK one little bit to sit another year, it would be best for him. I need to see more of the same or better before the answer can be sign him

I'd be fine with that....u know, just because Alex is a nice guy and all.

but at what cost? That is the main issue. I voted against bringing back Alex for this poll, MAINLY because it says "as our franchise QB"....um, not ready to give him that type of commitment again. Maybe I'll feel alittle different as the season goes on. But right now, not ready to invest $$$ and hand Alex the starting role for years to come based so far on his performance this year.

Alex is not coming back for a 1 year deal...not for a 2 year deal.....maybe for a 3 year one, but again at what cost?

I'm sure there might be a West Coast Team out there who has a strong running game and a strong defense that would love to use Alex the way we do....and maybe they would be desperate enough to over pay for him.....but I'd like it not to be us.

Again, this is just Alex leading up to his point....if Alex shows us more, and is more consistent....then yeah, It'd be hard to argue not bringing him back when good QB play in this league is rare. I personally feel we have the offensive weapons and Head Coach that we can bring in most good QBs to get the same type of production. If Jim feels that he would rather have Alex for the next few years, then for the first time....I can finally say I'd be ok with that. So far this season Harbaugh has impressed me so much as a head coach that I'd trust his judgement. Don't get me wrong, Jim can say all the nice things he wants to say about Alex as the season goes on.....but I'm going to wait till the end of the season to see how he really feels about the situation.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 11, 2011 at 6:46 PM ]

Agree. I think it will do all of our quarterbacks some good to have an off-season with this coaching staff. If we are this good so far I can only imagine they would get better
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Thank the lord (finally) Consistancy
sign both Alex Smith and Josh Johnson to a 2 year contracts. May the best man win.
Sign him to a one to two year contract. Keep looking for improvements.
It's still a work in progress.
Share 49ersWebzone