There are 312 users in the forums

New Principle Owner Jed York Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This "Jed is cheap" crap is just that. Crap. There is no evidence to support it and plenty to refute it. Jed has made more than enough mistakes to get honestly criticized for. He has also turned around and tried to fix some of those and deserves credit for when he does.

This nonsense reminds me of when a few of the usual suspects kept harping on the "The Yorks don't care about winning" garbage a couple of years ago. Ignoring the fact that to become a successful Billionaire requires at least an above average level of drive an competitive streak. Ignoring how Denise hot involved and turned around an NHL franchise when she owned it. It also reminds me of the poorly informed garbage about the Yorks pocketing money because they are under the cap. Again just low information posters with an agenda parroted that stuff. Or the Santa Clara discussions. A business dealing with a bunch of idiotic politicians was turned into "Jed is ripping off Santa Clara to line his own pockets" . And that was, again, the usual suspects who manage to spin a dark side on any thing the team, the players,or the ownership does.

Mistakes? Absolutely. Cheap? No. Desire to win? Anyone that thinks Jed enjoys being the butt of jokes around losing has to be an idiot. Who does anyone know that truly doesn't enjoy winning?

Criticizing Jed for a bad decision is legitimate, this constant drum beat of pure crap gets old.
Originally posted by mojave45:
This "Jed is cheap" crap is just that. Crap. There is no evidence to support it and plenty to refute it. Jed has made more than enough mistakes to get honestly criticized for. He has also turned around and tried to fix some of those and deserves credit for when he does.

This nonsense reminds me of when a few of the usual suspects kept harping on the "The Yorks don't care about winning" garbage a couple of years ago. Ignoring the fact that to become a successful Billionaire requires at least an above average level of drive an competitive streak. Ignoring how Denise hot involved and turned around an NHL franchise when she owned it. It also reminds me of the poorly informed garbage about the Yorks pocketing money because they are under the cap. Again just low information posters with an agenda parroted that stuff. Or the Santa Clara discussions. A business dealing with a bunch of idiotic politicians was turned into "Jed is ripping off Santa Clara to line his own pockets" . And that was, again, the usual suspects who manage to spin a dark side on any thing the team, the players,or the ownership does.

Mistakes? Absolutely. Cheap? No. Desire to win? Anyone that thinks Jed enjoys being the butt of jokes around losing has to be an idiot. Who does anyone know that truly doesn't enjoy winning?

Criticizing Jed for a bad decision is legitimate, this constant drum beat of pure crap gets old.

When it turns to fat and balding jokes, then you know he's done something right.
Originally posted by Seansf49:
I love the argument that Jed is no longer cheap.

1. A franchise tag would have been close (maybe a 4 million discount?) to what they are paying him yearly anyway. Plus, if they waited another year, it could have been a Kirk Cousins type situation. They went with the market price which was smart.

2. 120 Million in cap space....you better make that deal happen regardless.

3. If you think this is a lot of money (and it is), just wait until February of 2019 when this contract looks modest.

Why does he get credit for this in the first place? It's not like he was the dude who wrote the contract. He said he's staying out of personnel decisions as an owner should. Lynch and whoever wrote the contract should get more credit than Jed.You have a franchise QB and you pay him. it's that simple. Lets see what else happens during free agency before we can remove the "cheap" label. The Yorks will never be truly accepted by 49ers fans for the terrible decisions and leadership shown since their ownership. Yes, they have gotten close to the top. But until they bring the 6th trophy home, they deserve the criticisms they get. And frankly, bay area media is awfully soft on them IMO.

On a scale of 1-10 how much do you think you know about anything you just said?
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by pete98146:
Originally posted by JBrack:
The Yorks were just naive and had no idea how to run a sports franchise. They were trying to run it like a business at first. Even famously charging for sodas in the vending machines.

Years later they have figured it out... Its about people and relationships, not just money...

My best guess is that Denise is a decent business person but she had little interest in the 49ers. She gave the team to John and then to Ned to manage and when both of them screwed it up, she said enough is enough and took on many of the business making decisions, of late, on herself.

If I were to wager a guess, she managed to stuff Ned in a closet and Denise was the one that was instrumental in bringing in Shanny and Lynch. Ned will occasionally make an appearance but he's just a figure head these days. He's just a balding boy who has been stripped of all his duties.

And yes.....this is a good thing.

I'm sorry (not really), but this is such unadulterated BS.

Its nuts how desperate people are to screw the facts to fit a narrative. I mean really...when have you EVER seen Denise do ANYTHING in regards to the team? I've seen her in the owners box like twice and she accepted the NFC Championship Trophy a few years ago, but thats about it. She is totally hands off.

Jed gets the blame for all that he's done wrong. No question.

If you refuse tho to ALSO give him the credit when he does right then you are just being silly.

Its like those peeps who hold people accountable for every mistake and then just explain away the successes as the "obvious" choices.

Get real.

You nailed it Marvin!
Originally posted by mojave45:

Exactly.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
From the stadium deal to the willingness to admit mistake, eat expensive contracts, hire NFL-best leadership and dole out extravagant player contracts...

Jed York has become one of the best owners in the NFL today.
Originally posted by okdkid:
From the stadium deal to the willingness to admit mistake, eat expensive contracts, hire NFL-best leadership and dole out extravagant player contracts...

I have defended Jed on this site for a long time...

...but even I have to say slow down a bit on that one. :)

Lets see how this all plays out.

What I will say tho is that I like that he quickly recognizes his mistakes, is willing to spend the money to rectify those mistakes, and he's learned to get out of the way. I also like the way he has backed his players on social issues.

Now if they go in a SB run, THEN we can make that comment. Way too soon for me tho right now.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

uhm, no,, now we are getting carried away. he is making good steps but he still messed this team up two ways to sunday and it will take a bit more for me to become a big fan. he may not be cheap but i think he ,,. oh. never mind. cuz those who like him will take issue. there will be worthless back and forth. just have him keep out of mischief and he is fine
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

I have defended Jed on this site for a long time...

...but even I have to say slow down a bit on that one. :)

Lets see how this all plays out.

What I will say tho is that I like that he quickly recognizes his mistakes, is willing to spend the money to rectify those mistakes, and he's learned to get out of the way. I also like the way he has backed his players on social issues.

Now if they go in a SB run, THEN we can make that comment. Way too soon for me tho right now.

Nah.

He has done everything you need of a top-tier owner. Bring money in. Bring talent in. Let your talent go to work.

He has positioned the franchise exceptionally well for a prolonged and sustainable run. You can't name more than five owners in the NFL today that can say the same thing. And if somebody tries... they're reaching.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by Seansf49:
I love the argument that Jed is no longer cheap.

1. A franchise tag would have been close (maybe a 4 million discount?) to what they are paying him yearly anyway. Plus, if they waited another year, it could have been a Kirk Cousins type situation. They went with the market price which was smart.

2. 120 Million in cap space....you better make that deal happen regardless.

3. If you think this is a lot of money (and it is), just wait until February of 2019 when this contract looks modest.

Why does he get credit for this in the first place? It's not like he was the dude who wrote the contract. He said he's staying out of personnel decisions as an owner should. Lynch and whoever wrote the contract should get more credit than Jed.You have a franchise QB and you pay him. it's that simple. Lets see what else happens during free agency before we can remove the "cheap" label. The Yorks will never be truly accepted by 49ers fans for the terrible decisions and leadership shown since their ownership. Yes, they have gotten close to the top. But until they bring the 6th trophy home, they deserve the criticisms they get. And frankly, bay area media is awfully soft on them IMO.

On a scale of 1-10 how much do you think you know about anything you just said?

Even with chemo brain you still have that rapists wit
How are you feeling? Sounds like things are going relatively well

If Jed York was cheap as some say Jim Tomsula would likely still be our HC
Never found him to be cheap, just incompetent . Now His father on the other hand...
Jed for some reason fell for Trent Baalke. Most of the bad decisions done had Baalke's fingerprints on it.
I Photoshopped this only a few years ago. Feel a tad guilty about it now, but will post it again just to drive home the point of how well they have overhauled this organization in a relatively short time. Nothing but kudos for Jed the past year.

um.....and how do you explain that he was paying 3 HCs at the same time to make sure that he got it right? How do you explain twin 6 year contracts at 4-5 mil apiece for Lynch and Shanahan?

The "cheap" excuse on Jed is and was always BS. Now his dad? Thats fair. But Jed?

Harbaugh had the highest paid coaching staff in the NFL. He didn't leave over money. He left over a personality clash....something Harbaugh has had EVERYWHERE HE'S EVER BEEN.

Tomsula? Yeah. Bad hire, but wasn't about the Money. Kelly? Again...so-so hire and not about the money. Both of those guys were still getting paid before Kelly got the UCLA job and Jed fired them anyway TO GET IT RIGHT which it looks like he's done now.

Cap space? Cap space isn't real $$$. IE, the team doesn't just get to pocket what it doesn't spend. The CBA doesn't allow that. There is a rolling 3 year Salary Floor. When you don't spend all your cap space, you can roll it into the next year. THAT and the fact that they haven't drafted anyone worth giving a huge extension to are the reasons why they have so much cap space.

So I ask you....outside of the cap situation and Harbaugh contract, why exactly is Jed cheap? You have an argument that could be made for him being somewhat incompetent for the Tomsula and Kelly hires, but Cheap? Explain that one to me please.

You're absolutely right. I am not in the right for saying he's cheap at this point. His awful decisions have lead to him wasting a ton of his parents money. Sometimes my disdain for the York's leads me to say things out of emotion. Much like Jed makes his coaching hires.
[ Edited by Seansf49 on Feb 9, 2018 at 10:31 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone