There are 276 users in the forums

Patrick Willis - Can he be the Defensive Player of the Year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
67 tackles (tied 6th in nfl)
1 sack
3 forced fumbles (tied first in the nfl)
8 pass defended (tied 6th in the nfl)

Leader of one of the top 3 best defenses in the league and by far our best player on the team regardless of position IMO.

I think if the niner's d stays this consistent, and Patrick adds a touchdown and an interception or two to his stats, he can definitely get it.
[ Edited by Method on Nov 8, 2011 at 1:49 PM ]
  • Chief
  • Veteran
No, he hasn't done anything special. This past week may have been his best game all year and it was not DPOY level.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Justin Smith or Bowman on the other hand...
Gonna be tough considering the season Revis is having.
Originally posted by Chief:
No, he hasn't done anything special. This past week may have been his best game all year and it was not DPOY level.

Really? Covering the TE all game against the Lions while making Displaying phenomenal coverage skills wasn't special? He literally made 4 brilliant plays in that game alone. Meh.
he could, but he doesn't have the hype that someone like Revis does, and if Ware or Allen break the sack record they would get it before Willis.

frankly, I think Justin Smith is our Defensive MVP, which means it would be weird if Willis won DPOY over him. That's not a knock on Willis, its just that Justin has been better.

The fact that Willis is an elite player and we have guys on our team playing better than him speaks to how awesome our team is.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
he could, but he doesn't have the hype that someone like Revis does, and if Ware or Allen break the sack record they would get it before Willis.

frankly, I think Justin Smith is our Defensive MVP, which means it would be weird if Willis won DPOY over him. That's not a knock on Willis, its just that Justin has been better.

The fact that Willis is an elite player and we have guys on our team playing better than him speaks to how awesome our team is.
IMO you can't say one is playing better than the other. Both have made too many game changing plays to count and neither has made glaring mistakes that have cost our team. Both play the run and pass equally as well. To say one is better than the other IMO is just saying you prefer one role over the other (do-it-all homing missile of an ILB vs. a corrosive, relentless defensive end), as both have been dynamic and essentially flawless. As for which player/role is more important to our team's success? I think you could definitely argue Justin is that guy, I can't say for sure though.

As for the bolded, it is astounding to think we have RayMac playing damn near every bit as well as Justin and Navorro looking like a P Willy clone...something special is going on down at 4949 Centennial.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Method:

Really? Covering the TE all game against the Lions while making Displaying phenomenal coverage skills wasn't special? He literally made 4 brilliant plays in that game alone. Meh.

Don't get me wrong, he has played really well. Patrick Willis is a great linebacker, but this year he has not done anything special to warrant being DPOY.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
YES he can.

uh...Incorrect. WIllis has a better chance this year than in any other. Why? 7-1.

Originally posted by Baugh_Area:

IMO you can't say one is playing better than the other. Both have made too many game changing plays to count and neither has made glaring mistakes that have cost our team. Both play the run and pass equally as well. To say one is better than the other IMO is just saying you prefer one role over the other (do-it-all homing missile of an ILB vs. a corrosive, relentless defensive end), as both have been dynamic and essentially flawless. As for which player/role is more important to our team's success? I think you could definitely argue Justin is that guy, I can't say for sure though.

As for the bolded, it is astounding to think we have RayMac playing damn near every bit as well as Justin and Navorro looking like a P Willy clone...something special is going on down at 4949 Centennial.

yeah, that was kind of my point, just the level of across the board greatness in the front 7 is astounding. I do think, however, that if I was going to pick one guy as our best defensive player, this year, its Justin. But, f**k, you can't go wrong. It could be Bowman or Ray Mac or Carlos or Aldon or Soap or f**king Goldson for crying out loud. Brooks! Whitner! And Parys is very, very underrated this year. The entire defense is just studly.

Except for Tarrell Brown.

but even Brown isn't that bad!!
As this point NO!

By the end of the season - SURE! I think he'll definitly need more sacks and a few more interceptions and maintain the tackling pace and it could happen.
yes he can and Baldy said the same thing today on around the league live today.
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:

yeah, that was kind of my point, just the level of across the board greatness in the front 7 is astounding. I do think, however, that if I was going to pick one guy as our best defensive player, this year, its Justin. But, f**k, you can't go wrong. It could be Bowman or Ray Mac or Carlos or Aldon or Soap or f**king Goldson for crying out loud. Brooks! Whitner! And Parys is very, very underrated this year. The entire defense is just studly.

Except for Tarrell Brown.

but even Brown isn't that bad!!

LMAO!!!

When I was trying to pick between the two, I initially leaned towards Justin Smith, but then the thought of Patrick's face with a single tear dropping from his eye caused my head to explode, in effect aborting the whole process.
Patrick Willis is the face of the best defense in the NFL. He can win it by popularity alone, especially after all is said and done with this unbelievable season.
Share 49ersWebzone