There are 308 users in the forums

Hiding our Big time plays

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Did you guys come in knowing that you were going to throw as much as you did?

Greg Roman: "Yes. We really feel like the table was set. I mentioned to [head coach] Jim [Harbaugh] earlier in the week it reminded me of two years ago when we were getting ready to play Oregon, we had kind of went with ground-and-pound there for a while and the table was set to throw the ball. As the defenses continue to load the box more and more, you just kind of keep baiting it and keep baiting it. We wanted to come out throwing this game a lot and the guys did a great job executing it."

Is that something that's really going to pay dividends as the year goes on? Showing teams that, ‘Okay, we can put the ball in the air too if you stack the box.'

Greg Roman: "Yeah, we were kind of hoping to keep that a secret as long as we could but I guess it's out of the bag now. The players did a great job executing the plan and we stuck with that plan from pillar to post, from the first play to the last. [QB] Alex [Smith] performed exactly pretty much like we thought he would, at a high level."

So that pretty much confirms it.
Originally posted by Psinex:
Did you guys come in knowing that you were going to throw as much as you did?

Greg Roman: "Yes. We really feel like the table was set. I mentioned to [head coach] Jim [Harbaugh] earlier in the week it reminded me of two years ago when we were getting ready to play Oregon, we had kind of went with ground-and-pound there for a while and the table was set to throw the ball. As the defenses continue to load the box more and more, you just kind of keep baiting it and keep baiting it. We wanted to come out throwing this game a lot and the guys did a great job executing it."

Is that something that's really going to pay dividends as the year goes on? Showing teams that, ‘Okay, we can put the ball in the air too if you stack the box.'

Greg Roman: "Yeah, we were kind of hoping to keep that a secret as long as we could but I guess it's out of the bag now. The players did a great job executing the plan and we stuck with that plan from pillar to post, from the first play to the last. [QB] Alex [Smith] performed exactly pretty much like we thought he would, at a high level."

So that pretty much confirms it.

Called it!!
Bump....do we still feel this way?

I do and hope others are too. Be optimistic....a lot better than being pessimistic!!

:)
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Big time plays, what is that ?
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
if there is ever a time to unveil these secret plays, it's now. We do NOT want to play in New Orleans. I don't buy it. The plays might be there, but the personnel to execute them is not.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
if there is ever a time to unveil these secret plays, it's now. We do NOT want to play in New Orleans. I don't buy it. The plays might be there, but the personnel to execute them is not.

i really hope we bring out some nice drawn plays that we havent used for these last 3 games i dont care if its against the rams and seahawks but we have to bring it to the table and win out for that 1st week bye, playing in New Orleans would be very Tough,

I agree.

An excellent QB can make up for average perimeter playmakers. However, we have an average QB, and average play makers across the board. If we have all these amazing tricks up our sleeve, we would have used them to win in AZ. But we don't and we didnt.
Originally posted by notsoempty86:

I agree.

An excellent QB can make up for average perimeter playmakers. However, we have an average QB, and average play makers across the board. If we have all these amazing tricks up our sleeve, we would have used them to win in AZ. But we don't and we didnt.
Fake FG
I don't think we're hiding anything anymore.

Big time plays require people to be on the same page, and when one of the three positions screws up -- QB, WR, OL -- the big plays do not connect.

Poor throws are missed opportunities.
Sacks give zero opportunity.
Drops are missed opportunities.
I don't think the big plays are the problem. The designs are working. The execution will come.

I think we need to work on our smaller plays. We have been in way too many 3rd and longs. When we can't gain yards running the ball, our passing game really struggles with that 5-12 yard pass. We need to correct the OL breakdowns and Alex needs to stop passing up (no pun intended) "NFL open" receivers and getting that ball out.

This team isn't hiding their good play calls from other teams. They are continually trying different things to see what works for them & what doesn't. A competitor pulls out all the stops everytime, and we know Harbaugh is a fiercely competetive dude.
It seems that we call a couple of new plays a game, but the execution isn't there....gotta make first downs to give us a chance to try something...first year with his offense...we'll get this straight next year...
Other than gimmick plays, if big plays you mean going downfield, then no, that is silly. You play it then make a variation of it later. You get better by executing in game situations. I know of no sport that holds back. Now you are not going to show everything in one game, but you take your shots. How else you going to know what you are capable of or not capable? No players gotta execute-they haven't. If they all did, we would be talking more about it. Not lamenting it.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I don't think the big plays are the problem. The designs are working. The execution will come.

I think we need to work on our smaller plays. We have been in way too many 3rd and longs. When we can't gain yards running the ball, our passing game really struggles with that 5-12 yard pass. We need to correct the OL breakdowns and Alex needs to stop passing up (no pun intended) "NFL open" receivers and getting that ball out.

Agree. Alex is eventually gonna have to start putting the ball into tight windows and throwing guys open.
we are definitely a top 32 offense.
Share 49ersWebzone