LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 423 users in the forums

Hiding our Big time plays

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This is an interesting thread. None of us know for sure, exactly what this coaching staff is doing, but the historical perspective with Walsh is fun to compare. Scouting your own offensive and defensive tendencies is a key requirement of modern NFL football. (Too bad that Singletary never seemed to grasp the importance of deception). I expect that the club has a very beefy offensive (and defensive) playbook, much of it yet unused. But does that mean thatb the coaching staff is holding back?

Fangio has already said that he won't be able to install his entire defensive playbook this year. That won't come until after a full training camp. Scary to think that bthis D can become even more formidable, down the road.

I expect that Roman/Harbaugh are dealing with the same time-crunch on their offensive playbook. Offensively, I also sense this entire coaching staff developed a formula for winning, during the lock-out. We've seen the formula: lean on the defense by stopping the run and better coordinating the DB's with the front 7; superiority is every aspect of special teams; and DO NOT TURN THE BALL OVER on offense. Punting is not a sin, especially with Andy Lee able to dictate field position. OFFENSIVE TURNOVERS, however, can neutralize the oustanding D and special teams.

So, no, I don't believe that Roman/Harbaugh are holding back a slew of offensive firepower. They have coldly determined Alex Smith's strengths (toughness, intelligence, short range accuracy), and constructed a 2011 offense that avoids his weaknesses, which would generate TURNOVERS. Also consider that if Smith were to be lost to injury for some time, this offense is better suited for rookies Kaepernick or Tolzien, to come in and be functional (though they would sorely lack Smith's recognition of the defense knowledge). If we were talking about the food business, you might say that Roman and Harbaugh are developing a "sustainable offense". My sense is that the Niner offense is right on the edge of what the coaches believe that it can do, and still AVOID TURNOVERS. Now, could that edge be dynamic, in that it keeps getting further advanced? Sure, but I see it as a very slow evolution for the 2011 season.

Just one man's opinion.
I agree with the OP. Like coach JH controlling the tempo of training camp and practice, so does he control the tempo of the game. Like coach JH did during preseason games in hiding trump plays to be used in the more meaning full season and the way the team responds to an opposition TD in the 2nd half . . . they go back to what they know best as they dial in plays that take them down the field and put points on the board.

Its a great feeling late in the 4th knowing your in the lead and about to close out the game. The last game we had to fight for the lead was the Lions game, outsiders and media forget that when he has to, Alex has delivered. Amazing!!
I tend to agree with the OP. Why show something when you don't have to? I would like to think we have more, and according to the players we do have more.

The question remains, what do we have hidden and can they execute it?
I'm just worried that when we need to execute these reserved "air plays" that we will not have the actual game-time practice to deliver (it's not like Alex has his game worked out and his chemistry with his WRs leaves far too much to be desired).

Either way, we will see what we can do against a REAL team this coming weekend (or it will "be a fluke", like the SeaPidgeons's win over the Giants)...

Go Niners!!
I think this Giants game definitely validates what most of us in the thread have thought about JH and this offense so far.

Coming out airing it out the entire first half not only surprised us, but the New York Giants. Jim has been hiding this all season IMO, his ability to let Alex shoot around, and right when we face a team that we have to have a better record for a first round bye, boom we become a passing team. I love it.
I agree to a point. BUT, JH is ultra competitive, if he could win by 35 points every game he would. I think the coaches and players have done a PHENOMENAL job installing the NEW playbook/scheme in a way that maximizes its effectiveness for that opponent, while not overloading the players with too much. That is why it feels like there is so much more potential -- they are executing the limited scheme really efficiently -- so as a fan we automatically want and believe there must be more.

I would agree that he probably doesn't call too much new stuff if he doesn't have too -- but primarily to minimize risk of errors and give the team another week to perfect and absorb the new plays. So in other words, its more about pacing their installation to ensure success with a "w" rather than proving something right now.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
I agree to a point. BUT, JH is ultra competitive, if he could win by 35 points every game he would. I think the coaches and players have done a PHENOMENAL job installing the NEW playbook/scheme in a way that maximizes its effectiveness for that opponent, while not overloading the players with too much. That is why it feels like there is so much more potential -- they are executing the limited scheme really efficiently -- so as a fan we automatically want and believe there must be more.

I would agree that he probably doesn't call too much new stuff if he doesn't have too -- but primarily to minimize risk of errors and give the team another week to perfect and absorb the new plays. So in other words, its more about pacing their installation to ensure success with a "w" rather than proving something right now.

I think youre right about the installation, but I seriously think JH is hiding certain screens, deep routes, and trick plays with CK etc. till the end of the season/playoffs. Everyone thinks JH is keeping Alex smith quiet because he thinks he's limited, but I think its because that's what he wants everyone to think, and then comes out and throws 35 and rushes 14 to catch a playoff caliber squad like the Giants completellyyyy off guard.
I don't think Harbaugh is hiding anything. I think he's just doing what will work vs [insert current week's opponent].
Originally posted by IWasWrongRubber:
Strongly disagree. We've only scratched the surface of the playbook. You think the Harbaugh offense contains eight different versions of how to run the power, and the occassional slant or pass in the flat?

Wrong.

Harbaugh IS saving plenty for down the road. Why show these plays to anyone in the NFL at this juncture of the season? We've got the second best record in the NFL at this point.

Trust me on this. The Niners ARE heading for the playoffs. And when they DO make the playoffs, we're going to see plays and execution of said plays that will just make us scream with delight.

I think it's a little bit of everything you guys have said. I think a lot of it is:

- They're still installing and creating the offense.
- They try to do something new every week, and, specifically, they try to attack based on the advantages they have on the opposing defense.
- I don't know if they're necessarily saving stuff for playoff time, because I don't think Harbaugh presumes (like we do) that we're going to make the playoffs... but I think he DOES try not to bring our "big-time plays" until he has to. If he has a spectacular play drawn up that will score TDs left and right, he won't use it unless he HAS to. I think, if he could, he'd try to win with the most bland, vanilla plays in the playbook.
- The injuries to our receiving corps have hurt the passing offense.
- It's simply Harbaugh's style not to pass aggressively.

It's not just one thing, I think. I think it's all of the above.
Still can't believe the gameplan prior to the game was to put the ball in Alex's hands. No one predicted that.

Originally posted by jimbagg:
Now, could that edge be dynamic, in that it keeps getting further advanced? Sure, but I see it as a very slow evolution for the 2011 season.

Just one man's opinion.

This. They're not HIDING Alex Smith. They're just bringing him along slowly, almost as if he's a rookie. Yeah, he's a 7 year vet, but history has shown that he doesn't pick up offenses immediately, and then there's the whole "non-functional" comment from Urban Meyer. They simply created a basic offense that they knew Alex could execute, and slowly, but surely, are adding more and more to it.

People are expecting a breakout game from Alex Smith and the passing offense, where, all of a sudden, he throws for 400 yards and lots of touchdowns. No. I don't believe that. Even with us coming out throwing, Alex Smith threw for a modest amount against the Giants. I think you'll just see steady improvement over the course of the season, rather than us turning on the game and the offense explodes.
It's safer to develop and refine a running game. If there's a mistake, it's negative yards or no gain. A mistake in the passing game can be a pick or pick 6. So obviously it takes more time and coordination to have a solid passing game. I'm willing to be patient.

Remember the Eli INT yesterday where his receiver stop on his route, went the opposite way while Eli thinks he's continuing his cut .... yeah like that.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 14, 2011 at 9:50 AM ]
i think they are doing whatever it takes to win. if we start with a gameplan and find we can run every single play and not pass once and will still come out with a victory, then that is what we will do. i think they create a gameplan that they feel will give the best chance to win and then go with what works. we have passed when needed to and run when needed to. we will be successful as long as we continue to execute and not make mistakes.
Run it 50 times like the Broncos. Alex Smith 2 of 8 passing. Now that's hiding your qb
Harbaugh read the Art of War and Greg Roman is a wannabe spook. All warfare is based on deception.
Share 49ersWebzone