LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 304 users in the forums

Hiding our Big time plays

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think we need to remember that it is hard to get an offense going when you install it for the first time. Plus the injuries to Crabs, Morgan, and Braylon have really hurt the passing offense. The top three WRs have been hurt at some point this season. There are lot's of teams that would have suffered because of that.
  • dj43
Originally posted by taney71:
I think we need to remember that it is hard to get an offense going when you install it for the first time. Plus the injuries to Crabs, Morgan, and Braylon have really hurt the passing offense. The top three WRs have been hurt at some point this season. There are lot's of teams that would have suffered because of that.

I'm somewhat surprised the passing game has gone as well as it has considering the lack of available talent.
No I don't think he is holding back, otherwise he would not have shown Sop, Miller or Staley wrinkles. He only shows them when needed. He only passes when needed, because he has to. Other wise his game plan is clear mistake free football. He doesn't Alex exposed to unnecessarily. Alex can be good some games and other times he will be be bad.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I agree. Harbaugh is not saving anything for down the road. He puts all he has into winning each game.

Strongly disagree. We've only scratched the surface of the playbook. You think the Harbaugh offense contains eight different versions of how to run the power, and the occassional slant or pass in the flat?

Wrong.

Harbaugh IS saving plenty for down the road. Why show these plays to anyone in the NFL at this juncture of the season? We've got the second best record in the NFL at this point.

Trust me on this. The Niners ARE heading for the playoffs. And when they DO make the playoffs, we're going to see plays and execution of said plays that will just make us scream with delight.
Originally posted by IWasWrongRubber:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I agree. Harbaugh is not saving anything for down the road. He puts all he has into winning each game.

Strongly disagree. We've only scratched the surface of the playbook. You think the Harbaugh offense contains eight different versions of how to run the power, and the occassional slant or pass in the flat?

Wrong.

Harbaugh IS saving plenty for down the road. Why show these plays to anyone in the NFL at this juncture of the season? We've got the second best record in the NFL at this point.

Trust me on this. The Niners ARE heading for the playoffs. And when they DO make the playoffs, we're going to see plays and execution of said plays that will just make us scream with delight.

It's a problem that isn't really a problem. There has not really been as big of a need to "air it out" because the team simply has not been behind that much. Even in the Dallas game the team was winning or tied for the entire game until that OT Dallas score. The philly game is the only time where this team has needed to air it out because of how far down they were, and look how that worked out. It would be like arguing that Eli is better because he has made a 4th quarter comeback 5 times this year, not the niners fault they go into the 4th quarter with the lead almost every game. You take what your given.
Originally posted by WildBill:
No I don't think he is holding back, otherwise he would not have shown Sop, Miller or Staley wrinkles. He only shows them when needed. He only passes when needed, because he has to. Other wise his game plan is clear mistake free football. He doesn't Alex exposed to unnecessarily. Alex can be good some games and other times he will be be bad.

I do believe he is holding back some. And they using of Sop, miller and Staley is not what I think would be in our "open offence" regularly. These plays are designed to take focus off they bigger picture. The other teams and coaches now have to at least spend some time on them. I think when we see more normal but complex plays to VD or BE then we well be seeing an opened offence.

I do agree he is doing what it takes to win and no more then that, but not do to a lack of confidence in Alex. If it were that then we would he would put the ball in his hands when the game has been on the line.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I dont think we have many more "big time" plays to shows. This is pretty much our formula to win, run the ball and play great defense and special teams.
Originally posted by RayWersching:
I agree to a point. If we had a better QB I think he would be passing more though.

You can see that he is picking his chances to implement new plays and new formations. Right now, what he is doing is smart. The team has a lot of new formations to digest and to this point in the season they have been really successful in keeping the defenses guessing as to whether we are passing or running.

As we get more comfortable we will see more passing plays but he's bringing Alex along slowly and not putting him in a position where he feels the pressure to complete long passes down the field and make poor decisions which lead to turnovers.
don't know why everyone thinks harbaugh doesn't trust alex harbaugh has always preferred to run the ball...check out his stanford teams and the fact he constantly says he wants to be 50/50...i believe harbaugh said we are 53% run and 47% pass imo don't see much changing...if some of the overthrows would have hit i don't believe the passing game would be doubted but people would be saying isn't it nice we finally have a coach that throws the ball...is it a diamond or coal
[ Edited by stepnez on Nov 7, 2011 at 11:02 AM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by susweel:
I dont think we have many more "big time" plays to shows. This is pretty much our formula to win, run the ball and play great defense and special teams.

If that is what you believe then I suggest you need to look up some of the stories that have been written about how much time Harbaugh spent with Walsh and how he sought to absorb as much of Walsh's wisdom as he could. "Holding back" plays is a part of Harbaugh's season long plan. Walsh did not plan game-to-game. He planned games in sections as well as the season as a whole. For example, Walsh would show an "influence" in game 4 that would "test the waters" and then disappear until game 9. Such was the case in the Miller TD yesterday as compared to the Walker TD against Dallas. It wasn't new but it had not been used in between.

The longer looks were not as detailed as the closer games but as each game got closer, Walsh would fill in details. As it finally game down to the very next game, only then did the actual play list happen.

Rest assured, Harbaugh has absorbed Walsh's methods well. There is plenty left in the book.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by dj43:

If that is what you believe then I suggest you need to look up some of the stories that have been written about how much time Harbaugh spent with Walsh and how he sought to absorb as much of Walsh's wisdom as he could. "Holding back" plays is a part of Harbaugh's season long plan. Walsh did not plan game-to-game. He planned games in sections as well as the season as a whole. For example, Walsh would show an "influence" in game 4 that would "test the waters" and then disappear until game 9. Such was the case in the Miller TD yesterday as compared to the Walker TD against Dallas. It wasn't new but it had not been used in between.

The longer looks were not as detailed as the closer games but as each game got closer, Walsh would fill in details. As it finally game down to the very next game, only then did the actual play list happen.

Rest assured, Harbaugh has absorbed Walsh's methods well. There is plenty left in the book.

Do you have links to such stories ?? I really haven't seen any.

i doubt it.
It's possible... even likely that the 49ers coaches have more up their sleeves than what you see most games.

But due to our dominant defense and special teams play, they play it close to the vest and conservative simply to cut down on mistakes and turnovers.

I can't wait 'til the playoffs!

Practice makes perfect.

If we wait until we need the big play to actually try one- we are only hurting ourselves. We can do more for Gore and the running game if we launch a few down field just to keep people thinking. Right now, no safety in the league is worrying about our deep ball.

We really need to let Alex take some chances down field, there was no reason in yesterdays game that we didn't throw deep. keep the BD's running up and down the field all day long
  • dj43
Originally posted by dj43:

Do you have links to such stories ?? I really haven't seen any.

No links. I just remember JH talking about going into Walsh's office at Stanford and passing hours of time talking. Also looking at as much film of the glory days as he could find.

Do you remember the stories about the 49ers trying to get copies of Walsh installing the WCO back in the day? I recall someone saying that Seifert had some of the originals and other stories. Clearly there is more than just casual interest.
If the 2000 Ravens won the SB with Dilfer as their qb then we can win with Alex who is a lot better than Dilfer.
Share 49ersWebzone