LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

Do you think that Aldon Smith can be a 20 sack Guy.?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do you think that Aldon Smith can be a 20 sack Guy.?

I think we are closer to the answer to the opening question. At 15 sacks right now he only needs 5 in 6 games to get to 20 and if he has two more nights like last night he could break the record. In addition last night we saw that some sacks he gets strictly on his own without the help of J. Smith. But when the two Smiths are working together it goes even smoother. So lets see if ol Adon can be the new record holder for sacks. Now if we could only have Aldon Smith and J. J. Watt along with Justin Smith and McDonald, and Sop, and Patrick, and Bowman, and Brooks. But Aldon is sure setting a tone for our D.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Here's a nice 20 sack

Nice!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
if he can stay out trouble and continues to beast it can you imagine the size of his next contract.
Here's a nice 20 sack

looks like an eighth to me...
Originally posted by zomg_its_ryan:
Here's a nice 20 sack

looks like an eighth to me...

ur dub sacks must be small as hell then.

I got plug
Originally posted by mug0mug:
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Only 20? Skeptic!! Ban him!!! 500 sacks!!!!

For the record, it has only happened 7 times in the history of the NFL (and only one person under 26 has accomplished this feat), so......no

Rank Player (age), + - HOFer, Bold - Active Sk Year Teams
1. Michael Strahan (30) 22.5 2001 NYG
2. Mark Gastineau (28) 22.0 1984 NYJ
3. Chris Doleman (28) 21.0 1989 MIN
Reggie White+ (26) 21.0 1987 PHI
5. Lawrence Taylor+ (27) 20.5 1986 NYG
6. Derrick Thomas+ (23) 20.0 1990 KAN
DeMarcus Ware (26) 20.0 2008 DAL

Shouldn't posters do a bit of research before asking questions like, "Will Frank Gore run for 2500 yards this year? or "Will Justin Smith make 200 tackes this seaon?"

You want to talk about posters doing research? Why don't you research the trend of offense leaning heavily on the pass? The league is passing more and more every year and this is making more opportunities for sacks

Consider this: there have only been two 5,000 yard passers in the history of the NFL and this year alone there are two on pace for it with five others within striking range, one of them being a rookie. YPA hasn't shot up across, but pass attempts have. Consider further that from '82-'03 there were 44 QBs who passed for 4,000 yards.From 04-'10? 41. This year there are 10 players currently on pace to hit 4,000 yards with a handful of others very close.

This has everything to do with the league passing more. As a result, sacks are up.

Two guys are on pace for over 20 and there are two or three others who have a chance to get near 20, including our own Aldon Smith, who has 6.5 sacks in the past 4 games and has left PLENTY of sacks on the field (darn Mike Vick/ot's holding him b/c they are getting beat).

Do I think he will get to 20? Very likely no, but he's got enough of a shot to warrant conversation. It's not nearly as ridiculous to as the comps. you made to mock the OP.

I find Maddogs usual arrogance (because he was mentioned by a local beat reporter once) annoying too, but he makes sense in this case. He's basically saying that there aren't just "20 sack/yr guys," as if that's a metric for a good pass-rusher. You get 23 sacks and you are the sole record holder. It's not like the passing game has become so much more prevalant than, say, last year. The record was set 10 years ago (and 2nd place 27 years ago).

The question sounds like "Will Aldon Smith become a consistently elite pass-rusher," but is actually asking "Will Aldon Smith be a HOF, record-breaking, sack machine?"

Funny enough, this is now a legitimate question to ask.
Aldon is 1. NFL leader in Sacks(15), 2. A steal of the 2011 draft, 3. Better be an all pro and pro bowler, if not then it's fixed, and 4. will be extended after 2013 season when allowed. Kid is a beast, and oh, 5. Is a every down player.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by mug0mug:
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Only 20? Skeptic!! Ban him!!! 500 sacks!!!!

For the record, it has only happened 7 times in the history of the NFL (and only one person under 26 has accomplished this feat), so......no

Rank Player (age), + - HOFer, Bold - Active Sk Year Teams
1. Michael Strahan (30) 22.5 2001 NYG
2. Mark Gastineau (28) 22.0 1984 NYJ
3. Chris Doleman (28) 21.0 1989 MIN
Reggie White+ (26) 21.0 1987 PHI
5. Lawrence Taylor+ (27) 20.5 1986 NYG
6. Derrick Thomas+ (23) 20.0 1990 KAN
DeMarcus Ware (26) 20.0 2008 DAL

Shouldn't posters do a bit of research before asking questions like, "Will Frank Gore run for 2500 yards this year? or "Will Justin Smith make 200 tackes this seaon?"

You want to talk about posters doing research? Why don't you research the trend of offense leaning heavily on the pass? The league is passing more and more every year and this is making more opportunities for sacks

Consider this: there have only been two 5,000 yard passers in the history of the NFL and this year alone there are two on pace for it with five others within striking range, one of them being a rookie. YPA hasn't shot up across, but pass attempts have. Consider further that from '82-'03 there were 44 QBs who passed for 4,000 yards.From 04-'10? 41. This year there are 10 players currently on pace to hit 4,000 yards with a handful of others very close.

This has everything to do with the league passing more. As a result, sacks are up.

Two guys are on pace for over 20 and there are two or three others who have a chance to get near 20, including our own Aldon Smith, who has 6.5 sacks in the past 4 games and has left PLENTY of sacks on the field (darn Mike Vick/ot's holding him b/c they are getting beat).

Do I think he will get to 20? Very likely no, but he's got enough of a shot to warrant conversation. It's not nearly as ridiculous to as the comps. you made to mock the OP.

I find Maddogs usual arrogance (because he was mentioned by a local beat reporter once) annoying too, but he makes sense in this case. He's basically saying that there aren't just "20 sack/yr guys," as if that's a metric for a good pass-rusher. You get 23 sacks and you are the sole record holder. It's not like the passing game has become so much more prevalant than, say, last year. The record was set 10 years ago (and 2nd place 27 years ago).

The question sounds like "Will Aldon Smith become a consistently elite pass-rusher," but is actually asking "Will Aldon Smith be a HOF, record-breaking, sack machine?"

Funny enough, this is now a legitimate question to ask.

True...but I do have to agree..20 sacks now is not the same as 20 sacks when R. White was ministering defense.
5 more in 6 games, I like the odds!

Funny thing is there is probably a reply from me in here a year ago saying it would never happen and he would slow down when he was on the field for every play! Last night was so fun to watch him run right through or past the blocking!
He already has more sacks than last year. BEAST!

Remember, we still play the Cardinals!

I love it how people on the other teams site's are saying these were all garbage sacks, a sack is a sack! I will take it any way we can get it, didn't Mathews get 3 on Alex in garbage time when we played the Packers?
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Remember, we still play the Cardinals!

I love it how people on the other teams site's are saying these were all garbage sacks, a sack is a sack! I will take it any way we can get it, didn't Mathews get 3 on Alex in garbage time when we played the Packers?

lol I don't think I've ever heard of a 'garbage sack'.
Him and Justin did alot of damage against the saints last year in the championship game. I think he gets 2 more this week.
Yes, he will! Outside of Brady and Brees we will be facing some crappy teams with crap QB's.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Prediction, Aldon get's 24 sacks this year. Book it.
Share 49ersWebzone