LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 295 users in the forums

If Alex reaches the NFC championship this year, or possibly the SB,

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AlexSmithNWessonOil:
What is it with the Alex Redemption Meter on this board? Even the title on this thread made me grit my teeth. First of all, stop talking about NFC title games and Super Bowls. STOP RIGHT NOW. We're playing fantastic football right now, but that can change with ONE bad loss, or worse, a string of them. This is a "One Game at a Time" kind of team. We can still be beat by anyone out there on the right/wrong Sunday.

Second, it's not Alex winning. Its the whole team. It is an entirely different situation, and by that I mean from their draft days up until now, for Smith and Rodgers. They are two ENTIRELY different types of quarterback doing very different things for their team. Do you honestly think if The Niners win a Bowl these two guys will be on the same level, or of equal value, or even compared in a competitive way? Take Rodgers from the Packers and they are finished. Done. Take Smith from the Niners, and yes, we are not as good, and we lose games, but that's because we have two rookies backing him up who are not ready to run this offense.

I love what Alex has done this year, and I'm very excited to see what he does after a couple of seasons with some solidarity at OC and supporting cast, but I have no illusions about what kind of QB he is. From his body of work thus far, and I know its a new offense and guys are still coming back and timing may not be there all the time with everyone, he isn't and probably won't be a top tier QB.

This is coming from an "Alex guy." I've always thought he got a raw deal from the start, and I could never fully blame him for the lousy results. This year is proof, so far, that he CAN succeed under the right direction. But if we do go deep into the playoffs, I seriously doubt it will be mostly because of his prolific play. It will be because our defense was top notch, because our running game was brutal, and because Alex made the passes he should have. Because that's how our winning has happened (pretty much) thus far.

I don't know how to quote in sections so I'm just quoting the whole text. The part I want to comment on is "Second its not Alex winning. Its the whole team winning". Let me get this straight, now that we are winning its the team winning. But when we had to endure all those years of losing everyone was putting the blame on Alex. Seems like a bit of a contradiction to me. Also I feel we can talk SB all we want, especially since it is actually something we are on pace of accomplishing. I don't think any team can beat is on any given Sunday. I do believe we can suffer fluke losses as was evident with the Saints vs the Rams. We beat the teams we are supposed to beat and we give a good game against the upper echelon teams.

Just my opinion...don't bash me too hard if you disagree.
i see no reason why he can't win it all
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
drafting Smith #1 overall was, itself, not crazy. It was failing to properly develop him.

He has a REAL chance of making the NFC Championship this year. And we can get the #1 or #2 seed. I never stopped believing in the guy. He had NoWin and SingleBrainCell. Alex is the type of guy who needs the support and develpment of a good coach. He flourishes under that. I always thought with coaching he could be pretty good. He doesn't have to be the best guy in the league. Just pretty good. We have a pretty good team around him now. So he does his thing and the others do theirs.

you have been pro Alex but anti York.....any changes on Jed?

Nope. Jed York and all the Yorks suck. We are winning in spite of them. Not because of them. It's all Harbaugh. And HE CHOSE US. Not the other way around. He had options. But didn't want to leave the bay with a family.
What is it with the Alex Redemption Meter on this board? Even the title on this thread made me grit my teeth. First of all, stop talking about NFC title games and Super Bowls. STOP RIGHT NOW. We're playing fantastic football right now, but that can change with ONE bad loss, or worse, a string of them. This is a "One Game at a Time" kind of team. We can still be beat by anyone out there on the right/wrong Sunday.

Second, it's not Alex winning. Its the whole team. It is an entirely different situation, and by that I mean from their draft days up until now, for Smith and Rodgers. They are two ENTIRELY different types of quarterback doing very different things for their team. Do you honestly think if The Niners win a Bowl these two guys will be on the same level, or of equal value, or even compared in a competitive way? Take Rodgers from the Packers and they are finished. Done. Take Smith from the Niners, and yes, we are not as good, and we lose games, but that's because we have two rookies backing him up who are not ready to run this offense.

I love what Alex has done this year, and I'm very excited to see what he does after a couple of seasons with some solidarity at OC and supporting cast, but I have no illusions about what kind of QB he is. From his body of work thus far, and I know its a new offense and guys are still coming back and timing may not be there all the time with everyone, he isn't and probably won't be a top tier QB.

This is coming from an "Alex guy." I've always thought he got a raw deal from the start, and I could never fully blame him for the lousy results. This year is proof, so far, that he CAN succeed under the right direction. But if we do go deep into the playoffs, I seriously doubt it will be mostly because of his prolific play. It will be because our defense was top notch, because our running game was brutal, and because Alex made the passes he should have. Because that's how our winning has happened (pretty much) thus far.
Ok Coach...We're not the players, we're the fans. As long as the players aren't doing this, what does it matter?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Nope. Jed York and all the Yorks suck. We are winning in spite of them. Not because of them. It's all Harbaugh. And HE CHOSE US. Not the other way around. He had options. But didn't want to leave the bay with a family.

Disagree, Jed is running one of the best front offices with Baalke and Harbaugh, and not getting in the way of them making decisions. You really are clueless, weren't we supposed to go 0-16 this year?
Originally posted by brizznasty:
You don't have to do have to do all that brah, just go away for a week like you did when we beat the Eagles.

+1
if we get to the superbowl and win can we honestly say that Alex has won us the super bowl. Of course improved play at QB is a big part of us doing so well but aside from a few parts in games Alex has only managed the game. I want to see him unleashed and really see how our passing offense stands. Can Alex put us on his back for a whole game and win it. Get me a 300 yd 4 td game please.
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
just one year later than Rodgers, does drafting Smith the 1st over all pick still seem so crazy? With the ultimate goal being the SB, and the reason for all draft picks- to achieve greatness. What is the acceptable time frame for a 1st round pick to reach the SB? Is Alex on schedule despite his early troubles?

P. Manning was drafted in 98 but didn't win his only SB until 2007
D. Brees 2001- SB 2009
E. Mannning 2004- SB 2008
Romo undrafted 2003- sat 3 years and replaced Bledso, no SB
P. Rivers 2004- No SB
M. Vick 2001- No SB

Would it still seem so crazy? No. Would it seem like we made the right pick? No. Alex is doing great, but Rodgers is the better QB.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Would it still seem so crazy? No. Would it seem like we made the right pick? No. Alex is doing great, but Rodgers is the better QB.

Hindsight is 20/20 I don't think Rodgers would have lasted on the teams Smith has been on, Also coming out of college Rodgers had the Tedford QB thing against him, so was it the right pick at the time? You can argue either way, I know a lot of you Cal guys always think the guy from the school you root for is the best choice, but as someone with absolutely nothing invested in either guys college career I thought it was a toss up, so did most of the experts. I watched a couple of games of both QB's once it became clear that the niners were going to have the top pick and I thought Smith had more raw talent but Rodgers was more NFL ready, but the Tedford thing kinda made me doubt his legitimacy. Anyway, who is to say Rodgers wouldn't have been crushed by the ineptness of the organization, I think we got the tougher of the two QB's and it is pretty obvious that the previous two coaching staffs had no idea of how to properly develop a QB.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by 49erRider:

Hindsight is 20/20 I don't think Rodgers would have lasted on the teams Smith has been on, Also coming out of college Rodgers had the Tedford QB thing against him, so was it the right pick at the time? You can argue either way, I know a lot of you Cal guys always think the guy from the school you root for is the best choice, but as someone with absolutely nothing invested in either guys college career I thought it was a toss up, so did most of the experts. I watched a couple of games of both QB's once it became clear that the niners were going to have the top pick and I thought Smith had more raw talent but Rodgers was more NFL ready, but the Tedford thing kinda made me doubt his legitimacy. Anyway, who is to say Rodgers wouldn't have been crushed by the ineptness of the organization, I think we got the tougher of the two QB's and it is pretty obvious that the previous two coaching staffs had no idea of how to properly develop a QB.

Exactly, Rodgers has already suffered through a couple of concussions in his career. Imagine how many we would have had playing for the 9ers.

• boqi
  • Veteran
Even if we reach or even win the NFC championship, is this how you really want it done? With an inconsistent Smith? The thing that's made the Niners' 5 superbowl victories so special is that we were always 100% prepared to crush the opponent it wasn't even funny.
Originally posted by boqi:
Even if we reach or even win the NFC championship, is this how you really want it done? With an inconsistent Smith? The thing that's made the Niners' 5 superbowl victories so special is that we were always 100% prepared to crush the opponent it wasn't even funny.

this is a joke.
  • boqi
  • Veteran
^You obviously don't remember the 80s and 90s.
Originally posted by boqi:
^You obviously don't remember the 80s and 90s.

so you would really rather not win the NFC Championship than win it the way we are playing now?

that's a joke. right?
Originally posted by tcniners559:

I don't know how to quote in sections so I'm just quoting the whole text. The part I want to comment on is "Second its not Alex winning. Its the whole team winning". Let me get this straight, now that we are winning its the team winning. But when we had to endure all those years of losing everyone was putting the blame on Alex. Seems like a bit of a contradiction to me. Also I feel we can talk SB all we want, especially since it is actually something we are on pace of accomplishing. I don't think any team can beat is on any given Sunday. I do believe we can suffer fluke losses as was evident with the Saints vs the Rams. We beat the teams we are supposed to beat and we give a good game against the upper echelon teams.

Just my opinion...don't bash me too hard if you disagree.

completely agree. the above post was some of the same horse s**t people have been spewing around here lately. when we lose its alex but when we win its a team win despite alex's best effort to make us lose. also we can talk about superbowl and anything else we want, why should fans not look ahead? were not playing the games. people who say that make no sense. we have absolutely no outcome on the team looking past people. if anything all the anticipation and thought of a superbowl with the 49ers gives fans that extra breath to chear louder at games.
Share 49ersWebzone