There are 226 users in the forums

If Alex reaches the NFC championship this year, or possibly the SB,

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
there's an idea somehow that Alex was a crazy reach at the time, as if no one would have taken him at #1. We forget really easily that the Smith-Rodgers debate was a real one at the time, and though I think most fans wanted us to take Rodgers because of the local connection, there was really a debate. It wasn't like he was projected to be a 5th round pick and we took him at 1. He was a first round, top ten pick, guaranteed, and we failed him, and he failed us, and the whole thing was a mess. Its amazing that he's had a chance to resurrect his career with the team that drafted him. Just amazing. I hope the story continues to be such a great one.

I think the only other team interested in a quarterback that year was Tampa and it seems like Alex was #1 on their board too.

Rodgers might have gotten a bad shake because of the history of Tedford quarterbacks.

Going back to that draft day I really wanted Braylon. 7 years later we get Braylon, and Smith seems to be the answer at quarterback. I'll take it.

yeah, I wanted us to take Braylon and wait a year and get Leinart. LOL!

having Braylon, Smith and Carlos Rogers is pretty funny. Class of '05 reunion! Baas should have stayed for the mixer.
god damn its good to hear people talking about the 49ers going to the superbowl because its been along time. like having a stripper in front of you and getting no a**.

having Braylon, Smith and Carlos Rogers is pretty funny. Class of '05 reunion! Baas should have stayed for the mixer.
I actually thought Rattay had potential. The only thing worse than stating that was my man crush on Kevan Barlow
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Nov 2, 2011 at 9:16 PM ]
Originally posted by doodle:
He shouldn't even really be on the list, but next to Romo, you need to add "has not won a playoff game, ever."

Not true he beat the eagles in 09 wildcard.
Originally posted by doodle:
He shouldn't even really be on the list, but next to Romo, you need to add "has not won a playoff game, ever."

He has
Originally posted by tjd808185:

I actually thought Rattay had potential. The only thing worse than stating that was my man crush on Kevan Barlow

yeah, Barlow broke a lot of hearts. He really did seem like he was going to be a stud. Oh well.
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
just one year later than Rodgers, does drafting Smith the 1st over all pick still seem so crazy? With the ultimate goal being the SB, and the reason for all draft picks- to achieve greatness. What is the acceptable time frame for a 1st round pick to reach the SB? Is Alex on schedule despite his early troubles?

P. Manning was drafted in 98 but didn't win his only SB until 2007
D. Brees 2001- SB 2009
E. Mannning 2004- SB 2008
Romo undrafted 2003- sat 3 years and replaced Bledso, no SB
P. Rivers 2004- No SB
M. Vick 2001- No SB

Niner fans need to learn to separate the issues of (1) whether Smith can justify his draft position and (2) whether Smith can justify being taken over Rodgers.

The answer to the first is yes, and your OP addresses this. If Smith starts for a contender for the next five years, then that's pretty awesome, and we shouldn't regret the pick.

But that won't change the fact that Rodgers has turned out to be an outright steal. That's not an indictment on Smith or the 49ers; other teams passed on him too. But he's the best QB in the league. He takes a team with okay talent and makes them win every game by 20. No matter how many Super Bowls Smith wins, he will never be an objectively better QB than Rodgers. Smith's upside appears to be (1) outstanding emotional team leader, (2) elite game manager who makes great decisions and doesn't turn the ball over. He will never threaten any NFL records for yards or touchdowns, and he will only win Super Bowls with quite a bit of talent around him. That's fine. Rodgers' upside is to be mentioned in the same sentence as Marino, Manning, Brady, Elway, Montana.
NEVER mention Marino, Manning, Brady, or Elway in the same sentence as Montanta.

NEVER.

There is great....and there is magic.
Originally posted by WeAreLegend:
NEVER mention Marino, Manning, Brady, or Elway in the same sentence as Montanta.

NEVER.

its montana bro.. if your gonna gloat about him.. atleast spell his name right lol
Please, just stop.

Rodgers is light years ahead of Alex Smith.

I'm honestly an Alex Smith supporter, but this is just nonsense.

Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by WeAreLegend:

NEVER.

its montana bro.. if your gonna gloat about him.. atleast spell his name right lol
Its late and I'm typing fast lol
Plus I'm disabled and have trouble typing. But I love Joe, Roger, Jerry, John, Ronnie, Steve, the Rath, Freddie, The Catch, Paul (Hofer), and the rest. Nuff said.

NEVER mention Montana in the same sentence as the one's he shocked.
I mean disabled like my hands don't work. My words come in type from a voice box. Dont dish Joe.
If you cap on joe or my 9ers i will hurt you with my elbows lol
the real thing with this though isn't the "time frame" its what happened in that time. Manning didn't win a Super Bowl for almost a decade but his teams were almost always in the playoffs, and he was breaking records, and generally being a complete badass. Many of those other QB's listed also had individual and team success before their championships, or are still considered great players with a championship chance.

I don't think anyone necessarily expects a #1 QB to get them to a Super Bowl in, say, two or three years, but they do expect them to help the team be in contention for a championship.
Two years ago the Cards got there with a mediocor defense and the that team had absolutely no play-offs experience - for the most part. Because of that and their record, everyone, and I mean everyone had them losing each game of the playoffs and each game, they smash their opponents and walked right into the Super Bowl. If them fools can do it, we can and our "D" is many times better than what they were.

Share 49ersWebzone