LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

Caution: are 9ers "playing down" to lesser competition?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by okdkid:

But make no mistake. At no point were the Browns close to being in this game.

I strongly disagree with this.

Originally posted by KowboyKiller:

I think maybe the bye threw them off a bit. They had six days off which is a long time. This year teams have been rusty after they bye probably because the league instituted a mandatory 4 day off for players. In prior years, a bye week usually led to wins.

I disagree with this too. If the two halves of football were switched, then yes you could have a point. But we were clicking on all cylinders in the first half, and looked complacent in the second. That is NOT a sign of being rusty.
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Nov 1, 2011 at 1:59 PM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Joecool:
No. Alex missed a few throws that would have blown the game open.

Alex doesn't miss throws, it was Crabtree's fault for not being ten feet tall.

I'd actually put it more on crabs for not being quick enough, he definitely looks a bit slower than he's been in the last couple seasons.

Regardless, the 2nd half was mostly just a result of some poor execution on a few potential big plays or 3 rd downs
Hmm, so you're pondering the possibility that we possibly 'sucked' on purpose in the second half to keep ourselves preserved/less predictable for next week's opponent?

-I wouldn't be surprised honestly, Stanford would do the same thing a week before a big 'away' game when their record was on the up-and-up (took it easy on bruised offensive players, and kept the half-time adjustments bland with a lead, unless otherwise).
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by okdkid:

But make no mistake. At no point were the Browns close to being in this game.

I strongly disagree with this.

I think maybe the bye threw them off a bit. They had six days off which is a long time. This year teams have been rusty after they bye probably because the league instituted a mandatory 4 day off for players. In prior years, a bye week usually led to wins.

I disagree with this too. If the two halves of football were switched, then yes you could have a point. But we were clicking on all cylinders in the first half, and looked complacent in the second. That is NOT a sign of being rusty.

Good point. I still think it could have contributed to a sense of urgency about the game. Perhaps Freddy P Soft hid in someone's locker bag during the bye and came out in the half. After beating up on the Bucs last time they were at home, there might have been a momentary sense of "Oh s**t yeah, we got this one in the bag.." being up 2 touchdowns at the half. Except the Browns actually have a good D and were desperate to win this game if they wanted any hope to make the postseason. Hopefully they learned from that and never pack it in after only a half of play.
I don't give a flying fock about how the game was one... JUST AS LONG WE GOT THE WIN!... Some of you are way too analytical. Enjoy the wins. It's been a long muhfokin time.
Ask me that again after we beat WAS and NYG.
The second half was pretty boring but they just didnt execute as well as they did in the first. Alex missed a few deep balls to Crabs which would have most likely blown the game wide open. Deffinently not all the blame on him because a few missed passes is expected by even the best QB's. But just some better execution and i believe it would have looked alot more like the Tampa game.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
I think maybe the bye threw them off a bit. They had six days off which is a long time.

This year teams have been rusty after they bye probably because the league instituted a mandatory 4 day off for players. In prior years, a bye week usually led to wins.

I think they play even better now, they are healthier and we have Braylon back.

i agree...they looked out of sync and lethargic out there on offense. i consider this just an ugly win considering how poorly they played. We won, despite playing half-a$$!
JH has already came out and said the end around didnt look to good during practice so in a live game who ever called the play rang it up. Maybe the calls were variations on core plays. Im sure the coaching staff would have liked to be ahead by more before throwing out plays that the team still needed to iron out. Having Alex throw more now is only warming up to what hes gonna have to do later in the year and thats staying in touch against teams that can run up the score board.
I think its funny to say the niners are playing down to anyone. The niners are playing up to a certain level of competition.

The Browns defense is 5th in the league in yards allowed per game and on average, only giving up 20 points per game.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&season=2011&seasonType=REG&role=OPP&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-p=1&conference=ALL&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&d-447263-s=TOTAL_POINTS_GAME_AVG

We already know that we have an average/good offense, so scoring 20 points on them should be expected. Could we have put up more? Of course, but there are always 'what ifs' after every game. The Browns are not a pushover team and they made excellent second half adjustments. It was a quality win against, in my opinion, a quality team. That should not be overlooked.
[ Edited by Youngb on Nov 1, 2011 at 3:11 PM ]
Originally posted by Youngb:
The Browns defense is 5th in the league in yards allowed per game and on average, while only giving up 20 points per game.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&season=2011&seasonType=REG&role=OPP&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-p=1&conference=ALL&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&d-447263-s=TOTAL_POINTS_GAME_AVG

We already know that we have an average/good offense, so scoring 20 points on them should be expected. Could we have put up more? Of course, but there are always 'what ifs' after every game. The Browns are not a pushover team and they made excellent second half adjustments. It was a quality win against, in my opinion, a quality team. That should not be overlooked.

They are a pushover. We missed wide open throws that were wide open as a direct result from their "awesome" adjustments to focus on our run. They have played crap teams for that defensive stat.
Did we not cover the 8 1/2 spread or something?
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Joecool:
No. Alex missed a few throws that would have blown the game open.

Alex doesn't miss throws, it was Crabtree's fault for not being ten feet tall.

I'd actually put it more on crabs for not being quick enough, he definitely looks a bit slower than he's been in the last couple seasons.

Regardless, the 2nd half was mostly just a result of some poor execution on a few potential big plays or 3 rd downs

Don't care, I'm glad they are taking shots downfield and with time...Alex will hit Crabz & it will be AWESOME.
WOW!!!!!!

This season, we will have played 7 of the top 10 Defenses in the league!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a total STFU to those talking heads that say our passing offense can't withstand a good defense. Listen you dumbf**ks "analysts", we've already played 3 of the top 10 defenses.
Share 49ersWebzone