LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

Niners are 6-1 BUT.....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WildBill:
Even JH wouldn't say we are a complete team in all three phases...two, but not three.
Frankly, Harbaugh isn't concerning himself with any of this stuff..... In fact, he would never say a damn thing about this team that would be music to Frederick P. Soft's ears. So this argument is pointless in my mind.
There are two ways of looking at the team:
1) On the positive side, the team's 6-1 record is all about the defense and special teams play. The offense surely makes a contribution, but let's be real, the strength of this team is on defense and in the kicking game. Good defenses and special teams can take a team pretty far.
2) On the negative side, with a limited offense, at some point the team is going to run into trouble. It may end up happening deep into the playoffs, or early on, but the team will need to post points, and I'm not sure this team can compete offensively against some of the better teams in the league.

To me, this team is probably the fourth or fifth best team in the NFC when the season finishes (I think they are better than most of the following team as of today), but is not quite ready for a Super Bowl run, yet. In the end, I see the Packers, Saints, Falcons, and maybe a resurgent Eagles or Lions team being better at the end of the 16 game schedule, even if the Niners have a better record overall, just based on the ability to score points (be more dynamic offensively) when needed.
But we're supposed to be 1-5
i don't see what is so limited about our offense. We need to improve on 3rd down, but other than that we're doing pretty good. Our RZ TD % isn't great, but we just about always come away from there with some kind of points.

We have scored the 7th most points in the NFL and have the second fewest plays from scrimmage. We have scored three TD's from D/ST. Take those away and we'd still be around the top half of the league in scoring.
Originally posted by NinerPride365:
Frankly, Harbaugh isn't concerning himself with any of this stuff..... In fact, he would never say a damn thing about this team that would be music to Frederick P. Soft's ears. So this argument is pointless in my mind.

Actually JH already has said it publically that if we are good in two of three phases we will postition ourselves for a win and that the teams D and ST has been great.
Originally posted by dave1003:
I was listening Grant Napier here in sacramento and he was mentioning there is only 1 great team in the NFL in the packers. He acknowledged the Niners are 6-1 but there is just something about them that they aren't considered a great team but couldn't say exactly what it was. I rarely agree with Grant and think he's a doosh but I agreed with him for once. I don't know what it is, but just watching the Niners it just seems like they're not as good as their record even though we've beaten good teams. They kind of remind me of the 2001 Bears that went 13-3 had the number 1 defense, got a first round bye, and lost. What do you guys think?

What did you thonk about the 2000 Ravens or the 2002 Bucs? Are we comparable to either of those teams? People are quick to point out teams with marginal offenses and great defenses to prove that our 49ers aren't that good. But those Ravens, Bucs, 2007 Giants, 1990 Giants, etc weren't exactly racking up huge points on the offensive end.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
The ONLY reason there is any BUT to our 6-1 record is because everybody wants awesome fantasy stats. If you don't have awesome passing numbers then you can't be that good. The Packers are great because they have 300 yards/game passing. But we'd have the exact same record if it weren't for our DEFENSE f**king up in the Dallas game (and the bad coaching decision, also not the offense's fault). Nobody wants to give us love because we win with mostly Defense and Special Teams. They can't get their head around the idea this is a formula for winning..

We'll need the passing game to improve of course and I really think it will. In the meantime we got our D and ST to hold it down for us. The ONLY part of this team that is lacking is passing offense. Compared to where we were last year, thats a blessing.
Originally posted by Antix:
The ONLY reason there is any BUT to our 6-1 record is because everybody wants awesome fantasy stats. If you don't have awesome passing numbers then you can't be that good. The Packers are great because they have 300 yards/game passing. But we'd have the exact same record if it weren't for our DEFENSE f**king up in the Dallas game (and the bad coaching decision, also not the offense's fault). Nobody wants to give us love because we win with mostly Defense and Special Teams. They can't get their head around the idea this is a formula for winning..

We'll need the passing game to improve of course and I really think it will. In the meantime we got our D and ST to hold it down for us. The ONLY part of this team that is lacking is passing offense. Compared to where we were last year, thats a blessing.

The Dallas game, JH keeping the points was the right thing to do. Why? yes they could have eaten the clock more, but the niners could have also missed the FG and Dallas would take over in very good field postion and would win it on that drive. If it was really bad, you would have heard former players and coaches state that in the media. The D did mess up by giving up the scores late but the offense did not move the ball either. so it is their fault also. If they made one more first down in the cowboys turning point drive, then it would be a different story. Simple-the players D and O did not execute.

The Dallas game, JH keeping the points was the right thing to do. Why? yes they could have eaten the clock more, but the niners could have also missed the FG and Dallas would take over in very good field postion and would win it on that drive. If it was really bad, you would have heard former players and coaches state that in the media. The D did mess up by giving up the scores late but the offense did not move the ball either. so it is their fault also. If they made one more first down in the cowboys turning point drive, then it would be a different story. Simple-the players D and O did not execute.

Good field position. We would have been at the 22 therefore kicking from the 27 which would be where DAL would get the ball. That's not necessarily considered good field position. It was a terrible decision to leave 15 yards on the field to put you only 22 yards from the end zone, especially considering how good our red zone offense is.
  • Antix
  • Veteran

t disagree with your assessment. We should have taken yards and clock off. It was 15 yards and a first down.

But my overall point is not the Dallas game. My point is we are not considered worthy of our spot because we don't have gaudy offensive numbers. Thats why the Saints are ranked high still even though they lost to the damn Rams, because they can score a bunch of points and make fantasy owners happy.

Yes the Dallas game was a team loss, whatever. My point is that we will not get true respect until we can have awesome passing stats and which is a joke

t disagree with your assessment. We should have taken yards and clock off. It was 15 yards and a first down.

But my overall point is not the Dallas game. My point is we are not considered worthy of our spot because we don't have gaudy offensive numbers. Thats why the Saints are ranked high still even though they lost to the damn Rams, because they can score a bunch of points and make fantasy owners happy.

Yes the Dallas game was a team loss, whatever. My point is that we will not get true respect until we can have awesome passing stats and which is a joke

I agree with these points 100%. Because it's "not pretty" it's "not legit" either. That's the fantasy football times we live in. Personally, I'm loving how this team is winning "dirty". Let all these finesse, high-powered passing offenses play each other all year long... winning some and losing some. And then, just wait until they have to face the Nasty, Fysical beat-you-into-submission style Niners... they won't know what hit 'em.
Originally posted by NinerPride365:

I agree with these points 100%. Because it's "not pretty" it's "not legit" either. That's the fantasy football times we live in. Personally, I'm loving how this team is winning "dirty". Let all these finesse, high-powered passing offenses play each other all year long... winning some and losing some. And then, just wait until they have to face the Nasty, Fysical beat-you-into-submission style Niners... they won't know what hit 'em.

This league is falling into the "Marino Complex." It extends coaches' careers but if they don't cure themselves of the Marino Complex, it eventually kills them. It's falling so much in love with QB's who can sling the ball anywhere their coach desires that the coaches begin to ignore play design, the running game, and situational play calling to the point where their team becomes one dimensional but is seen as a fighter that can win any game any Sunday because they can throw that knock-out punch.

The problem is that they (coaches) begin to get greedy desiring that knock-out punch too often. This is why a while back, the defensive head coach was sought after: to reign in the OC and the QB to a more balanced offense. Then came the OC turnstile issue similar to what we had.

None of these teams that don't have a top 5 Defense will win the Superbowl.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
This league is falling into the "Marino Complex." It extends coaches' careers but if they don't cure themselves of the Marino Complex, it eventually kills them. It's falling so much in love with QB's who can sling the ball anywhere their coach desires that the coaches begin to ignore play design, the running game, and situational play calling to the point where their team becomes one dimensional but is seen as a fighter that can win any game any Sunday because they can throw that knock-out punch.

The problem is that they (coaches) begin to get greedy desiring that knock-out punch too often. This is why a while back, the defensive head coach was sought after: to reign in the OC and the QB to a more balanced offense. Then came the OC turnstile issue similar to what we had.

None of these teams that don't have a top 5 Defense will win the Superbowl.

This.

That's why I'm liking our chances right now, especially in cold weather.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Just remember, the real season is in January. I love winning....but lots of regular season wins doesn't win you much, except a ticket to play in January.

Let's get to January. That's mission #1.
i hope niners play greenbay in the playoffs!! last years game showed lots of heart.

this year im sure greenbay would hate to play the niners out of all the teams in the nfc... rank that!

as far as defensive game planning against the niners..i believe its to the niners advantage that they are not peaking on offense yet.

at 6-1 and not respected is a nice place to be in.
Share 49ersWebzone