There are 233 users in the forums

We're still not getting any love from the so called experts

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It's all about the Packers and Aaron Rodgers since they are 8 - 0 and playing at such a high level. We made a remarkable turnaround but we are second fiddle in the NFC. Just look at the beginning of the year. Who thought we would be in this position?
As long as the 49ers keep winning, I couldn't care less what these people say. I couldn't care less what they have to say anyway. They always look for negative things.
Originally posted by hubbyt:
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
We are getting plenty of credit, but don't expect us to be considered an elite team, regardless of our record, because we haven't played like one.

Our record is awesome, and we should all be thrilled with it and what it means for the rest of the season and beyond.

However, just because we have a better record than the Saints, Falcons, Patriots, Chargers, Ravens, even the Giants, doesn't mean we are a better team. It doesn't mean we couldn't beat any of those teams, but it also doesn't mean that just because they lost a game or two more than us, that we are suddenly a better team.

All those teams have proven it over multiple seasons, all have either won SBs or been serious SB contenders for a few years or more, and all have true pro bowl to elite QBs.

We can't claim any of that. Enjoy what we have, where we are at and hope for it to continue onward and upward. But the fact that a great D and very good special teams have helped us win a number of games that could have gone either way, doesn't make us an elite team.

We gave a great record, will almost assuredly make the playoffs and win the division and have a chance to start a whole new chapter in Niner history.

But we are not the second best team in the NFL or the NFC despite our record. No one should expect people to act like we are and start heaping praise on us like we look like the 89 Niners reborn.

This is very well put. The homerism in us all can be blinding but dont be blinded. I'm enjoying the 7-1 start no doubt about it but championship caliber and able to flat out say were better then the proven elite is a lonnnnngggg stretch. Defense does not win chamnpionships. Great overall teams win championships. Our offense is not of championship caliber right now and an honest person should be able to see that. People are talking about how we match up well with Green Bay but how do you know this? We havent even played them this year ...were 7-1 yes but a juggernaut over night no ... We have not seen anything close to the level of offense that Green Bay displays other then Philly who hung 500 yards on us ... in the national media's mind they lost that game as opposed to San Francisco beating them and thats a perception were not going to shake barely getting by the Redskins and Browns .. we need to keep improving and by the end of the season lets see what happens ...
You know what, I totally see where both of you are coming from. Had your heart broken too many times to trust another HC to lead us to the promised land. I have been waiting for the bottom to drop out on this team every since we shocked the world and beat the Eagles. Thought we would get exposed when the Buccs came to town. We won both of those games, but the Eagles were just out of sorts and the Buccs had a short week. Then we were really going to get exposed on the road vs the Lions. Nope, didn't happen.

We had played the toughest part of our schedule and had the second hardest strength of schedule in the entire NFL by this point. So, maybe, just maybe the 49ers were for real. Then came the Browns and we didn't blow them away. Uh, oh, our offense is a liability. But, not to fast naysayers. Our running game was clicking to the tune of 160 yards. We controlled the tempo of the game and won the time possession battle; 33 min to 27 min. Don't forget that Cleveland was ranked #4 in the NFL in total defense, #4! Cleveland didn't score a TD until the 4th quarter with 6:17 left to play. Make no doubt about it, the Browns were dominated. But, the 49ers were at home.

Well, this past weekend will finally show a chink in the armor of the 49ers. The Redskins have a good defense with two very good pass rushers in Orakpo and Kerrigan, plus they have a pretty good MLB in Fletcher as well. The Redskins were going to stop Frank Gore and force Alex to beat them throwing the ball. Nope.

Well, okay. The 49ers are on a hot streak. They have won the turnover battle and have had a lot of breaks. The ball just seems to be going their way. This happens sometimes. But, this weekend, the 49ers will truly be exposed when the New York Giants come to town with their "Elite" QB, Eli Manning!

Well, you know what. I am done counting out Harbaugh and Alex Smith. We are going to beat the Giants. The 49ers have been one of the most consistent teams in the NFL. Other than the Packers, the 49ers are the only team to consistently perform. Don't forget that the Giants lost to the Redskins and the Seahawks (at home), and nearly lost to the Dolphins!

In Harbaugh I trust!
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Thats OK.

We'll just keep it our little secret that the Niners may be positioned to beat the Packers more than any other team in the NFL.

WHAT!?! What was that?

Truth.

Why? Green Bay can't run and they can't stop the run. Niners do both. Green Bay is geared to pressure and stop the pass. Cool. We'll run over you.

Can't stop Rodgers? OK...kinda like you couldn't stop the Pats when they weere 18-0. How did the Giants do it? They rushed 4 and dropped 7. They were just about the only team that could get away with that because they could get to Brady with 4.

How about this front 4.....Aldon Smith, Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Ahmed Brooks.

Ya see what I'm getting at here?

I'm not saying they WILL beat the Packers. I'm just saying that they may just be better positioned than any other team to do so. Its not because the Niners are better. Its because they matchup better.

Ya know what tho...we'll keep that our little secret. Let them disrespect. I KNOW Harbaugh prefers being the underdog.

This game next week is the biggest NFL game ever for many of the Niner players--I expect the Niners to be in peak form while the Giants having just played the Pats--and with the eagles/packers and saints coming up---the Giants might be a bit off---I am expecting a nice solid Niner win! 8-1 !!!
Let's get a super bowl and se if we're still over rted then
The Pats are highly overrated based on the sole fact that they have Tom Brady. The Giants barely beat the Pats. The Giants are inconstant and overconfident. I expect us to blow them off the field this Sunday.
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
This game next week is the biggest NFL game ever for many of the Niner players--I expect the Niners to be in peak form while the Giants having just played the Pats--and with the eagles/packers and saints coming up---the Giants might be a bit off---I am expecting a nice solid Niner win! 8-1 !!!

lions game was bigger IMO

That's good this team needs to get used to big games.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

We win this week, and no one is going to doubt us as the 2nd best team in NFL. It will be a big game, but don't expect the Giants to over-look the Niners. They will take great pride in putting up points against one of the best defenses in NFL, so I expect them to be very very focused. We just can't afford to get behind, we have to continue doing what we have been doing, and execute better in red-zone. Run the ball, stop the run and put pressure on the QB. Alex will likely be asked to do a little more in the coming game, but I expect him to do just that. He is gettin' on the same page with Crabtree, and Harbaugh needs to get more creative with Vernon. We need Alex to play his best game of the season this week to keep the Giants offense off the field.

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

lions game was bigger IMO

The Lions game was more important, but the stakes are higher now. Its like when you're in the playoffs, the first playoff games are more important than the Super Bowl, but the Super Bowl is where the stakes are highest.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Nov 7, 2011 at 11:14 PM ]
The only reason that we are being downgraded by the critics is that we don't "offensively" dominate our match ups. Well we aren't that kind of team yet. We showed flashes of that in the Tampa bay game and just Morgan was heating up......he is out for the season.

However......we match up well against all teams. We don't really have all WEAKNESSES. Our offense is probably the weakest link right now, but our running game is BALLING. And we are doing enough to win games.

Our defense matches really well against the passing teams because we can go to the Nickel. We can bring our secret weapon Aldon Smith onto the field and I think we can do well against the Packers, NY Giants, and Patriots.

The Steelers, Ravens and Giants will be great tests for us. I think we beat the Giants because of their weakness against the run and the Giants are coming East to our home field off a big win against the Pats. I hope we smoke em!
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Ha ha, you guys sound like a bunch of high school kids; "Wha, wha! I just owned the most popular kid in school! I'm the man! Where's my respect?!?"

Who cares. One of the reasons I hate the big market teams (Dallas, Phi, NE, NYJ/NYG, DC, CHI) is for that very reason, overexposure in the media.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Thats OK.

We'll just keep it our little secret that the Niners may be positioned to beat the Packers more than any other team in the NFL.

WHAT!?! What was that?

Truth.

Why? Green Bay can't run and they can't stop the run. Niners do both. Green Bay is geared to pressure and stop the pass. Cool. We'll run over you.

Can't stop Rodgers? OK...kinda like you couldn't stop the Pats when they weere 18-0. How did the Giants do it? They rushed 4 and dropped 7. They were just about the only team that could get away with that because they could get to Brady with 4.

How about this front 4.....Aldon Smith, Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Ahmed Brooks.

Ya see what I'm getting at here?

I'm not saying they WILL beat the Packers. I'm just saying that they may just be better positioned than any other team to do so. Its not because the Niners are better. Its because they matchup better.

Ya know what tho...we'll keep that our little secret. Let them disrespect. I KNOW Harbaugh prefers being the underdog.

I second this. I have been thinking this for a few weeks now. You know,around the time when they started blowing smoke up the Eagles ass.
  • JDog
  • Veteran
We have to win a big game to get respect. I have sipped but not drank the kool-ade. We have not played that opponent yet that makes you say we have arrived. I believe JH does an excellent job of preparing for the next opponent, but until we beat a Giants, Ravens, or Steelers team this season, it will simply have been a greatly improved team on the verge of becoming a contender. It is great to see the team winning, but need to see the above or domination of the the 2nd tier to buy all in.
Share 49ersWebzone