LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

Will the Passing Game Develop in time for the playoffs?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will the Passing Game Develop in time for the playoffs?

Originally posted by susweel:
And we can also give them ten foot stilts to make them taller and give them Stretch Armstrong arms.

That isn't very practical.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by laughsatyou:
Originally posted by susweel:
And we can also give them ten foot stilts to make them taller and give them Stretch Armstrong arms.

That isn't very practical.

But it would be funny to watch.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I think that Harbaugh is opening up the passing game a little bit at a time as the season goes on, with Smith getting more in sync with his WRs every week. As a result, I'm hoping that we get up to 200 - 225 yards passing per game by season's end, while maintaining efficiency.

A good goal would be to finish the season with at least a 200 yards passing per game average, or 3200 yards. Smith would have to up his passing yards by about 20% a game from here on out to meet that goal.

I bring it up because I'm worried we may find ourselves in a shootout with the Packers, Saints, or Eagles in the playoffs and we'll be ill-equipped to keep up.

With our defense we will never be in a "shootout". But we may need to be able to score 4+ TD's and sustain some long drives to give our defense some rest.

I think the passing game will develop. The short passing game (0 - 15 yards) has already developed quite well. As long as we don't get in 3rd and long situations, our offense is difficult to stop. Next up is the deep passing game. We saw evidence that the team is trying to develop that with several deep pass attempts to Crabtree this week. Unfortunatly, Smith and Crabs only connected on 1 deep pass. But I expect that efficiency will improve as that is an element of the offense that hasn't been used until this week.

If our offense can complete at least 3-4 deep passes (20+ yards) a game, it will force defense to respect an element of our offense that hasn't been respectable up to now. This would further open up the running game and short routes. If we can develop that part of the game, I have little doubt that we will be contending for a SB victory.
Originally posted by blm7754:
With our defense we will never be in a "shootout". But we may need to be able to score 4+ TD's and sustain some long drives to give our defense some rest.

I think the passing game will develop. The short passing game (0 - 15 yards) has already developed quite well. As long as we don't get in 3rd and long situations, our offense is difficult to stop. Next up is the deep passing game. We saw evidence that the team is trying to develop that with several deep pass attempts to Crabtree this week. Unfortunatly, Smith and Crabs only connected on 1 deep pass. But I expect that efficiency will improve as that is an element of the offense that hasn't been used until this week.

If our offense can complete at least 3-4 deep passes (20+ yards) a game, it will force defense to respect an element of our offense that hasn't been respectable up to now. This would further open up the running game and short routes. If we can develop that part of the game, I have little doubt that we will be contending for a SB victory.

We did that against The Eagles.
uhh.....what passing problem?

I think peeps don't really understand what is happening here.

Can Alex play better? Sure he can. Did he miss some open player? Of course.

....but the Niners aren't going to be a 50 pass a game team. Thats by design.

While the NFL has moved to wide open offenses, defenses have changed to compensate. Teams go heavy in the draft for CBs, Safeties who can cover, and Pass Rushers. Its all about smaller, faster players who can fly off the edge and DBs who can cover alot of ground.

This is the NFL tho. EVERYTHING is cyclical. To COUNTER teams moving in that direction, the Niners are built to crush people. The Niners Will put 7 linemen, 2 TEs a QB and a RB on the field. Outside of the RB, the smallest guy out there is 250 LBs. Thos Edge rushers out outflanked because the line extends past them and the DBs all of the sudden are getting hit by 250 to 350 pound players.

The running game here is INNOVATIVE. If you can't be marveled by what you are seeing right now, you don't know what you're looking at. This is one of the most innovative running games I've ever seen. While everyone else is saying "you need a franchise QB to succeed", the Niners are Runing for 174 yards and passing for 174 yards and saying "watch us".

People need to start getting used to the idea that this is ALWAYS going to be unconventional. They were down by 23 points to the Eagles, never stopped running the ball, never got out of their base offense....and still came all the way back to win.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 31, 2011 at 12:15 PM ]
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Why do you guys keep posting 'Chemistry"?? Its not that! Alex has done a pretty good job managing the team but when you consistantly over throw guys its not chemistry its accuracy.

You know throwing the ball is anticipating where your receiver is going to be and where he's facing right.... that's not a static target, receivers are moving, running target. The chemistry comes in when you know the speed of the receiver coming out of his cut, or how he would adjust to the lead when the ball in the air. Yeah, it's call chemistry. This ain't no quarterback challenges with a moving golf carts with a bull-eyes on them.

Seriously?? Stop. I'm not talking about slants, deep outs and comeback routes I'm talking about deep fades, go routes etc. We miss WR's that are wide open. On crossing routes the ball is behind a lot and off target. Just because its caught doesn't make it accurate. We are LAST in 3rd down conversions and we have 4 really good receiving options and we STILL don't convert?? Say all you want but there are 3 teams starting rookie QB's that are better than us, with less talent, converting 3rd downs.

No question of the passing game not being there yet, but did you really expect it to be firing on all cylinders after just seven games? We have had our two best wideouts missing stretches of time with injuries while we were implementing a complicated timing based passing game. If you don't believe me, just look back to the interview that Montana had where he said that patience would be required while the coaches installed the new system. He said it takes three years to fully install the WCO, that we are seeing production like we have so far is pretty impressive. We are seventh in scoring and first in points allowed, those are the two most important stats in the game. Once the skill players get more time together in the system, things will naturally open up, just remember the keyword is patience. Don't go getting all in a twist because the QB isn't hitting 100% of the throws, that happens with every QB, not sure why ours is the only one that gets so mucg flak about it, there is only one QB with more wins and he hasn't faced nearly the level of competition as ours has.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

While the NFL has moved to wide open offenses, defenses have changed to compensate. Teams go heavy in the draft for CBs, Safeties who can cover, and Pass Rushers. Its all about smaller, faster players who can fly off the edge and DBs who can cover alot of ground.

This is the NFL tho. EVERYTHING is cyclical. To COUNTER teams moving in that direction, the Niners are built to crush people. The Niners Will put 7 linemen, 2 TEs a QB and a RB on the field. Outside of the RB, the smallest guy out there is 250 LBs. Thos Edge rushers out outflanked because the line extends past them and the DBs all of the sudden are getting hit by 250 to 350 pound players.

The running game here is INNOVATIVE. If you can't be marveled by what you are seeing right now, you don't know what you're looking at. This is one of the most innovative running games I've ever seen. While everyone else is saying "you need a franchise QB to succeed", the Niners are Runing for 174 yards and passing for 174 yards and saying "watch us".

bullseye.
Honestly yes! With the revolving door at wr due to injury. Lack of practice threw the weeks for crabtree due to injury edwards, morgan! We have gotten the hard yards players have stepped up. Many have been critical of the lack of passing yards but seriously we are winning and thats all that matters. Alex hasnt been throwing 3-400 a game but what he has done has been critical to our success! Its a team sport. Things will improve n only get better, our team is hungry n say themselves that they have plenty of room for improvent this should tell ya and answer your question. Braylons back crabs healthy vd n co will get theirs!
Goniners
Washington here we come

People need to start getting used to the idea that this is ALWAYS going to be unconventional. They were down by 23 points to the Eagles, never stopped running the ball, never got out of their base offense....and still came all the way back to win.

One of the best posts in a while.
"MBachCSN: #49ers RG Adam Snyder calls playing in Harbaugh's varied offense fun. Estimates they've used 40-50% of playbook."
--http://twitter.com/MBachCSN/status/131083051777277952

Originally posted by HessianDud:

bullseye.

Very well said, we will see games obviously where we will open it up more but we wont necisarily have to vs everyteam. And this aint a dis on the teams we dont open it up on
Originally posted by HessianDud:
we won't find ourselves in a shootout with anybody. FACT.

This, guys our defense is not going to let one of those high scoring teams run up the score on us, teams have to fight to score on us. Not to mention all the teams that are pass happy have crappy defenses and won't be able to keep us from running the clock on them. The Saints, Packers and Patriots are all in the bottom half of the league in defense, and the saints and Packers are having pass protection issues. We are a more complete and balanced team than any of those three, they might have better QB's but football is still a team sport, and the best team wins most of the time.
Originally posted by valrod33:
"MBachCSN: #49ers RG Adam Snyder calls playing in Harbaugh's varied offense fun. Estimates they've used 40-50% of playbook."

Wow. Harboner alert. Can't wait to see what we look like in December.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by valrod33:

Wow. Harboner alert. Can't wait to see what we look like in December.

The 49ers showed an incredible volume of personnel groups on Sunday. The team ran 64 offensive plays on Sunday, and they used 33 different combination of players at the five eligible positions. In the first half alone, the 49ers used 26 different combinations for the 36 plays they ran.

from Maiocco's blog.

Major Harboner here.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

One of the best posts in a while.

Agreed, and considering the source I am not at all surprised. These aren't your daddy's niners.
Share 49ersWebzone