LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

Will the Passing Game Develop in time for the playoffs?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will the Passing Game Develop in time for the playoffs?

Originally posted by 190836:
I voted no. I hope I am wrong, but Alex Smith's accuracy is concerning. He was missing wide open receivers all day yesterday. Every throw is either behind or way high. I don't know if you can teach accuracy.

I just don't find that to be true. A few does not equate to "all day."
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by thojess:
Why no one seems to get this baffles me. The passing game is just fine. If you want to minimize mistakes, you don't throw more than you need to in order to WIN THE GAME. This isn't fantasy football. We don't get extra points for going over 200 yards passing. Sometimes I wonder if Fantasy football has rotted out peoples brains. We are owning the time of posession. We are owning the ground game. Why should we concern ourselves with passing yard totals? Joe Montana went over 4000 yards ZERO times in his career, and has one of the best winning percentages in history. Passing yards are WAY overrated by you kids these days. lol
This
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Why do you guys keep posting 'Chemistry"?? Its not that! Alex has done a pretty good job managing the team but when you consistantly over throw guys its not chemistry its accuracy.

You know throwing the ball is anticipating where your receiver is going to be and where he's facing right.... that's not a static target, receivers are moving, running target. The chemistry comes in when you know the speed of the receiver coming out of his cut, or how he would adjust to the lead when the ball in the air. Yeah, it's call chemistry. This ain't no quarterback challenges with a moving golf carts with a bull-eyes on them.

Seriously?? Stop. I'm not talking about slants, deep outs and comeback routes I'm talking about deep fades, go routes etc. We miss WR's that are wide open. On crossing routes the ball is behind a lot and off target. Just because its caught doesn't make it accurate. We are LAST in 3rd down conversions and we have 4 really good receiving options and we STILL don't convert?? Say all you want but there are 3 teams starting rookie QB's that are better than us, with less talent, converting 3rd downs.

You're wasting your breath.

(Actually this theme was addressed in the Colin Kaepernick thread also)
Originally posted by thojess:
Why no one seems to get this baffles me. The passing game is just fine. If you want to minimize mistakes, you don't throw more than you need to in order to WIN THE GAME. This isn't fantasy football. We don't get extra points for going over 200 yards passing. Sometimes I wonder if Fantasy football has rotted out peoples brains. We are owning the time of posession. We are owning the ground game. Why should we concern ourselves with passing yard totals? Joe Montana went over 4000 yards ZERO times in his career, and has one of the best winning percentages in history. Passing yards are WAY overrated by you kids these days. lol

You are right about stats but where we are bad is converting 3rd downs and hitting open receivers. Come playoff time, if we don't improve significantly we will be one and done. We can't beat playoff teams without being able to pass the ball and convert with consistancy.
  • dj43
Why do you guys keep posting 'Chemistry"?? Its not that! Alex has done a pretty good job managing the team but when you consistantly over throw guys its not chemistry its accuracy.

You know throwing the ball is anticipating where your receiver is going to be and where he's facing right.... that's not a static target, receivers are moving, running target. The chemistry comes in when you know the speed of the receiver coming out of his cut, or how he would adjust to the lead when the ball in the air. Yeah, it's call chemistry. This ain't no quarterback challenges with a moving golf carts with a bull-eyes on them.

Seriously?? Stop. I'm not talking about slants, deep outs and comeback routes I'm talking about deep fades, go routes etc. We miss WR's that are wide open. On crossing routes the ball is behind a lot and off target. Just because its caught doesn't make it accurate. We are LAST in 3rd down conversions and we have 4 really good receiving options and we STILL don't convert?? Say all you want but there are 3 teams starting rookie QB's that are better than us, with less talent, converting 3rd downs.

The two wide receivers that can run those deep routes have been unable to practice for the past 6 weeks. (Don't tell us about Ginn as he has established himself as a guy who does not run them well nor does he adjust well to the ball.)

You mention crossing/slant routes: One play in the 4th quarter was particularly revealing. Edwards ran a slant from right to left. Smith looked left quickly to look off the safety then came back to Edwards but hesitated for an instant as Edwards had rounded his cut a bit and was a bit behind Smith on the timing. Smith wound up having to gun it into the open window but the ball was a bit behind Edwards though he caught it for a first down.

Earlier in the season, Smith hit that same route to Morgan several times, including one that Morgan took to the house. The difference was that Morgan had been with Smith all the way through Camp Alex and TC where Edwards has missed the last 5 weeks of practice and the lack of timing was obvious.

As many here have been saying, as the WRs get healthy and can practice, the passing game will get better. Right now, losing Morgan has been a bigger blow than some realize.
You are right about stats but where we are bad is converting 3rd downs and hitting open receivers. Come playoff time, if we don't improve significantly we will be one and done. We can't beat playoff teams without being able to pass the ball and convert with consistancy.

I think receivers will drop less passes and run better routes as the season progresses, we are still way ahead of schedule as far as coming off of a no offseason new system new coach yada yada

Stop what... you are questioning chemistry in disregarding the part of passing that's need to be a good passing attack. The percentage of connecting on a deep fades or go routes drop significantly after 20 yds in conjunction of being risky with the safety on top. That's with any NFL QB, otherwise they would be throwing deep half the time. Whether it's crossing routes or vertical ones there has to be chemistry between QB and receivers to do it consistently, which some are crying about Smith right now including myself. Consistency goes along with chemistry.

• dj43
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
I think the offense will get better. Steve Young was saying that it was going to take the first eight games for Harbaugh and Roman to figure out what they have and implement all of the offense. Having Braylon Edwards back is HUGE for the team. I haven't seen "Any" chronic drops yet. He seems very focused.

The offense is starting to look like the Steelers, ball control, lots of runs, trick plays which is all good. I really like that they are using the slant more often which is the staple of the West Coast.

I went crazy when Staley caught that pass and then for Sopoaga to get a pass too........MAN THATS GOOD STUFF.

I really wish Joshua Morgan didn't get hurt, but hopefully Braylon and Crabtree can carry the load. More Kyle Williams too.

On a side note, Vernon Davis got hurt early in the game. His arm went numb after he caught a pass and was tackled. That's why we didn't go back to him. He was playing in pain for most of the game.

Those two passes to Sop and Staley were not only fun to watch and will make many highlight films, they will also give future opponents something specific for which they will have to game plan. As defenses get spread out in trying to counter all the options, they will make mistakes which will make it easier for Alex and the offense to succeed. That is the very definition of good coaching - creating schemes and strategies that allow the players to succeed.
Originally posted by dj43:

The two wide receivers that can run those deep routes have been unable to practice for the past 6 weeks. (Don't tell us about Ginn as he has established himself as a guy who does not run them well nor does he adjust well to the ball.)

You mention crossing/slant routes: One play in the 4th quarter was particularly revealing. Edwards ran a slant from right to left. Smith looked left quickly to look off the safety then came back to Edwards but hesitated for an instant as Edwards had rounded his cut a bit and was a bit behind Smith on the timing. Smith wound up having to gun it into the open window but the ball was a bit behind Edwards though he caught it for a first down.

Earlier in the season, Smith hit that same route to Morgan several times, including one that Morgan took to the house. The difference was that Morgan had been with Smith all the way through Camp Alex and TC where Edwards has missed the last 5 weeks of practice and the lack of timing was obvious.

As many here have been saying, as the WRs get healthy and can practice, the passing game will get better. Right now, losing Morgan has been a bigger blow than some realize.

Thats just it, I'm not talking about slants. He hits those fine. I'm talking about go-routes, deep fades etc. I understand when timing is off on those but when a guy is running a go route, gets off the line clean and you over throw him by 4ft thats not timing thats touch and accuracy. For what ever reason he struggles hitting those routes outside the hash marks.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I voted no. I hope I am wrong, but Alex Smith's accuracy is concerning. He was missing wide open receivers all day yesterday. Every throw is either behind or way high. I don't know if you can teach accuracy.

He missed three just to Crabtree!

• dj43

Stop what... you are questioning chemistry in disregarding the part of passing that's need to be a good passing attack. The percentage of connecting on a deep fades or go routes drop significantly after 20 yds in conjunction of being risky with the safety on top. That's with any NFL QB, otherwise they would be throwing deep half the time. Whether it's crossing routes or vertical ones there has to be chemistry between QB and receivers to do it consistently, which some are crying about Smith right now including myself. Consistency goes along with chemistry.

Also, deep outs and fades are only occasional options in the WCO. Also, Harbaugh's version of WCO clearly does not emphasize those type of patterns. Even with Luck at Stanford and many hours of practice, Harbaugh did not favor deep routes.

Anyone who has followed Mike Martz' career knows that those deep routes are quarterback killers. No QBs get sacked more than those playing for Martz. It takes an exceptional OL to provide protection as well as tall, strong, speedy, dependable WRs. Last time I checked, the 49ers don't have any of those. Edwards MAY become one of those but Crabtree doesn't have the speed nor the dependability and no one else is even close to those two now that Morgan is on the shelf.

I was questioning your tone and response. We can talk about 'chemistry' all you want be here is a reality, we are 6-1, first in defense and LAST in converting 3rd downs. Come playoffs we will HAVE to be better on offense or we will be one and done.
  • dj43
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

He missed three just to Crabtree!

Crabtree is a mystery. Smith does not miss other receivers like he misses MC. It may be a mental thing or it just may be the lack of practice time together, or it may be both. Still, the fact that we are beginning to see an attempt made to stretch the field in this manner tells me that Harbaugh has seen enough progress in practice that he believes it can happen in the game.

Stay tuned...
this is incredible. These Alex bashers need to find anyway they can to put him down..

I think the entire webzone agrees.. Alex Smith is never going to be Tom Brady but god damn he is playing as effective as any of OUR starting QB's have within the last 9 years.

The man is completing 63% of his passes, 1250 yards, 9TDs to only 2 picks.. The ground game is amazing and he does not need to throw the ball right now..

Look at the Cowboys for example..

Against the Rams - Homo has 166 yards passing with 2 TD's and completes 59% of his passes
Murray has 253 yards rushing and they dominate
Against the Pats - Homo has 317 yards passing with 1 TD and 1 pick complete about 59% of his passes
The running game SUCKED ass and had about 58 yards rushing from their RB's and they LOST
Run the football, win the TOP, play good defense = Championship

Just because you cant talk about outragesous numbers that Alex put up to your friends when they say how much their awesome fantasy QB put up doesnt mean he sucks. we are 6-1 and he is having a fantastic year.
[ Edited by Stevec9932 on Oct 31, 2011 at 10:26 AM ]
Originally posted by dj43:

Also, deep outs and fades are only occasional options in the WCO. Also, Harbaugh's version of WCO clearly does not emphasize those type of patterns. Even with Luck at Stanford and many hours of practice, Harbaugh did not favor deep routes.

Anyone who has followed Mike Martz' career knows that those deep routes are quarterback killers. No QBs get sacked more than those playing for Martz. It takes an exceptional OL to provide protection as well as tall, strong, speedy, dependable WRs. Last time I checked, the 49ers don't have any of those. Edwards MAY become one of those but Crabtree doesn't have the speed nor the dependability and no one else is even close to those two now that Morgan is on the shelf.

True, but you have to be able to hit them other wise they will sit on the slant and short routes.
Share 49ersWebzone