LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 142 users in the forums

Will the Passing Game Develop in time for the playoffs?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will the Passing Game Develop in time for the playoffs?

Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by thojess:
Why no one seems to get this baffles me. The passing game is just fine. If you want to minimize mistakes, you don't throw more than you need to in order to WIN THE GAME. This isn't fantasy football. We don't get extra points for going over 200 yards passing. Sometimes I wonder if Fantasy football has rotted out peoples brains. We are owning the time of posession. We are owning the ground game. Why should we concern ourselves with passing yard totals? Joe Montana went over 4000 yards ZERO times in his career, and has one of the best winning percentages in history. Passing yards are WAY overrated by you kids these days. lol

This x INFINITY

LOL. Post of the day. But the HATERS will ignore it. Not pretty enough for them. Not 400 yards, 3 pick and a loss. So not good enough...
Originally posted by carlgo:
Pretty much from day one it has been obvious that Smith is not going to win the Captain Accuracy award. JH and staff gave him an offense that confuses the opposition enough to let him succeed. And he has. Now, take him out of that and he will not do as well, as we have seen for many years now!

I was a Nate Davis fan when SingleCell was coaching because I thought he was the only guy who could run around and do unexpected things that might break down the defense. It was even a good thing that Davis may not know the play because the play sucked. Poor Smith knew the play and stuck with it and so he failed.

I always thought that SingleCell banished Davis because he did run around and had some success outside of the planned offense and that made his unsuccessful offense look bad.

Coaches like Smith because he does what they want, exactly per the plan, without drama.

Alex Smith is still only throwing in the mid twenties for pass attempts. You all want to keep comparing him to Rodgers who throws that in the first half of a game. Guess what, take Alex Smith's numbers and double them for a game and you get.....holy crap.........AARON f**kING RODGERS LIKE GOD DAMN NUMBERS!!!! The passing game is just fine.
Originally posted by backontop:
Alex Smith is still only throwing in the mid twenties for pass attempts. You all want to keep comparing him to Rodgers who throws that in the first half of a game. Guess what, take Alex Smith's numbers and double them for a game and you get.....holy crap.........AARON f**kING RODGERS LIKE GOD DAMN NUMBERS!!!! The passing game is just fine.

But...but...Alex is the suxxorz, he can't hit open receivers 100% of the time or throw for 300 yards every game. He has never done anything to show he is a legit NFL qb, ever...even when this team has won it was despite Smith, not because of him. Any qb in junior varsity could do better than Alice JaMarcus Leaf Smith.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

But...but...Alex is the suxxorz, he can't hit open receivers 100% of the time or throw for 300 yards every game. He has never done anything to show he is a legit NFL qb, ever...even when this team has won it was despite Smith, not because of him. Any qb in junior varsity could do better than Alice JaMarcus Leaf Smith.

Suxxorz. Weeeeeeee neeeeeeedddddsss Cam Newton Freight Train of Outstandiness. Never missed a pass. Ball doesn't even touch the ground all game long. Not even once....
We need to keep the WR core the same for the next few years and keep adding weapons for Smith...

The thing with this is, Aaron Rodgers has a minimal running game at best. When defenses frop 6 or 7 into coverage then he will hand the ball off and they will have some nice runs. If we play the Packers this year (which I pray we do) Goldson needs to light Jennings up HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
uhh.....what passing problem?

I think peeps don't really understand what is happening here.

Can Alex play better? Sure he can. Did he miss some open player? Of course.

....but the Niners aren't going to be a 50 pass a game team. Thats by design.

While the NFL has moved to wide open offenses, defenses have changed to compensate. Teams go heavy in the draft for CBs, Safeties who can cover, and Pass Rushers. Its all about smaller, faster players who can fly off the edge and DBs who can cover alot of ground.

This is the NFL tho. EVERYTHING is cyclical. To COUNTER teams moving in that direction, the Niners are built to crush people. The Niners Will put 7 linemen, 2 TEs a QB and a RB on the field. Outside of the RB, the smallest guy out there is 250 LBs. Thos Edge rushers out outflanked because the line extends past them and the DBs all of the sudden are getting hit by 250 to 350 pound players.

The running game here is INNOVATIVE. If you can't be marveled by what you are seeing right now, you don't know what you're looking at. This is one of the most innovative running games I've ever seen. While everyone else is saying "you need a franchise QB to succeed", the Niners are Runing for 174 yards and passing for 174 yards and saying "watch us".

People need to start getting used to the idea that this is ALWAYS going to be unconventional. They were down by 23 points to the Eagles, never stopped running the ball, never got out of their base offense....and still came all the way back to win.

One of the best posts in a while.

Agreed, and considering the source I am not at all surprised. These aren't your daddy's niners.

These aren't your daddy's Niners

Precisely. The WCO was SOOO innovative in its time because nobody had ever thought like that before. They were UNCONVENTIONAL. People never thought that dinking and dunking the ball could equate to a winning team. They were wrong.

Fast forward 3 decades. Its a passing league. You have to have a franchise passer to win. You have to STOP franchise passers to win. The running game is devalued. RUNNING BACKS are devalued.

Enter a truly innovative run game that can gash to teams geared to stop the pass. Get those Under-valued RBs in the draft pretty late in the process (Kendall Hunter),

The Niners aren't following the pack...they are LEADING the pack in a new direction.

As everyone else has already said, excellent observations!

If I to guess, I would bet that this is probably the type of offense the Singletary was THINKING about in his head, but didn't have the requisite skills, experience, and supporting staff to carry it out.

I never thought I would enjoy a running-based attack, by the things I see the Niners doing on offense are quite innovative. Maybe they are doing things other teams do, but it sure looks different to me. One thing I am still looking for is a WR getting behind coverage on a play action. You'd think with the type of running dominance the 9ers are showing that somebody would spring free at some point.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Nov 1, 2011 at 9:39 AM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
LOL. Post of the day. But the HATERS will ignore it. Not pretty enough for them. Not 400 yards, 3 pick and a loss. So not good enough...

Can you please show me one single post where someone said they would rather have Alex throw for 400 yards and a loss than 150 yards and a win? Just one post please. Since you and other over the top posters claim haters are regularly saying this, I assume this should be easy for you to find ONE example.

Thanks. I'll be waiting.

(while you are at it....why dont you find a post where the "haters" used the word sukx0rs or anything close to that. again, should be easy to find since you and others seem to reference it like its been said so frequently)
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Nov 1, 2011 at 11:10 AM ]
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
uhh.....what passing problem?

I think peeps don't really understand what is happening here.

Can Alex play better? Sure he can. Did he miss some open player? Of course.

....but the Niners aren't going to be a 50 pass a game team. Thats by design.

While the NFL has moved to wide open offenses, defenses have changed to compensate. Teams go heavy in the draft for CBs, Safeties who can cover, and Pass Rushers. Its all about smaller, faster players who can fly off the edge and DBs who can cover alot of ground.

This is the NFL tho. EVERYTHING is cyclical. To COUNTER teams moving in that direction, the Niners are built to crush people. The Niners Will put 7 linemen, 2 TEs a QB and a RB on the field. Outside of the RB, the smallest guy out there is 250 LBs. Thos Edge rushers out outflanked because the line extends past them and the DBs all of the sudden are getting hit by 250 to 350 pound players.

The running game here is INNOVATIVE. If you can't be marveled by what you are seeing right now, you don't know what you're looking at. This is one of the most innovative running games I've ever seen. While everyone else is saying "you need a franchise QB to succeed", the Niners are Runing for 174 yards and passing for 174 yards and saying "watch us".

People need to start getting used to the idea that this is ALWAYS going to be unconventional. They were down by 23 points to the Eagles, never stopped running the ball, never got out of their base offense....and still came all the way back to win.

One of the best posts in a while.

Agreed, and considering the source I am not at all surprised. These aren't your daddy's niners.

These aren't your daddy's Niners

Precisely. The WCO was SOOO innovative in its time because nobody had ever thought like that before. They were UNCONVENTIONAL. People never thought that dinking and dunking the ball could equate to a winning team. They were wrong.

Fast forward 3 decades. Its a passing league. You have to have a franchise passer to win. You have to STOP franchise passers to win. The running game is devalued. RUNNING BACKS are devalued.

Enter a truly innovative run game that can gash to teams geared to stop the pass. Get those Under-valued RBs in the draft pretty late in the process (Kendall Hunter),

The Niners aren't following the pack...they are LEADING the pack in a new direction.

As everyone else has already said, excellent observations!

If I to guess, I would bet that this is probably the type of offense the Singletary was THINKING about in his head, but didn't have the requisite skills, experience, and supporting staff to carry it out.

I never thought I would enjoy a running-based attack, by the things I see the Niners doing on offense are quite innovative. Maybe they are doing things other teams do, but it sure looks different to me. One thing I am still looking for is a WR getting behind coverage on a play action. You'd think with the type of running dominance the 9ers are showing that somebody would spring free at some point.

Sing was just doing what he knew. In the 80's the saying was that you needed a stong running game and a defense to win. He was trying to emulate what he knew.

Its actually kinda by accident in my opinion that he wasn't all that far off-base. As I stated before...the NFL is cyclical. There was a time that the TE position became almost extinct. Everyone wanted quick, smurf recievers. Right now, the FB is almost extinct. When this Harbaugh/Roman offense catches on, just wait for all of those "return of the FB" stories.

Its really simple. One team has success with a specific type of attack. Other teams see that and copy it. Defenses are forced to react. When they do so, it exposes DIFFERENT weaknesses. One is left to a) Follow the pack in a league that is being built to defend that type of offense, or b) defy the conventional wisdom and exploit the NEW weaknesses.

To me, option A is the definition of insanity. Option B is what wins you MULTIPLE Championships. Thats not to say that's what the Niners will do, but they are taking the right approach.

Everytime I see the talking heads who say something like "you need to be able to pass" and say thats the 49ers weakness...I just shake my head and laugh. Keep thinking that boys...you will be singing a different tune in a few years. If you can pick up MULTIPLE 20+ yard gains in the run game, why would you even WANT to pass?

The Niners aren't going to be a run only team. They will be a BALANCED offense that can do both. They will probably never throw the ball 50 times. Thats GOOD. While everyone is drooling over the Packers and saying the Niners don't have the requisit passing game, the Niners COULD go into Green Bay, run for 200+ yards, shut down the Packers run game, neutralize Matthews with 7 linemen and extra TE sets, and rush Rogers with 4 and drop 7 in coverage.

Of all the teams in the NFL, the 49ers might be the most set to beat the Pack in January. Ya know what tho....lets not tell anyone. Lets just keep this our little secret.

I stated to a friend before the Giants beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl a few years ago that the Giants were not the best team in the NFL, far from it, but they were UNIQUELY suited to playing New England. Why? THEY COULD GET TO BRADY WITH 4 and drop the rest in coverage. Sound Familiar?
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Nov 1, 2011 at 11:25 AM ]

Marvin49 for WZ President.
"I think Jim has to change his offense. I mean you can't run "Power O" 50 times like he did at Stanford and be effective so I think he has to change and grow offensively, which he clearly can do. So I think that's the challenge that waits," Lombardi said. "And then there's the gap between college and pro that has to get obviously made up.

"Jim's last year in the NFL was 2003. To me, every three years the NFL dramatically changes over and over again and becomes a different league. So I think his work is challenging. It will take him a little bit of time and this offseason you can utilize the time to prepare him to prepare him what he can do.

this is Mike Lombardi talking about Harbaugh: http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2011/02/26/lombardi-on-harbaughs-challenge/

its kind of funny, for a couple of reasons. 1) it makes it clear why Lombardi didn't get the GM job. and 2) he says the NFL changes every couple of years but doesn't seem to realize that that change could mirror what Harbaugh wants to do.

anyway, thought it was interesting in the context of the conversation in here.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Marvin49 for WZ President.

LOL.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

Can you please show me one single post where someone said they would rather have Alex throw for 400 yards and a loss than 150 yards and a win? Just one post please. Since you and other over the top posters claim haters are regularly saying this, I assume this should be easy for you to find ONE example.

Thanks. I'll be waiting.

(while you are at it....why dont you find a post where the "haters" used the word sukx0rs or anything close to that. again, should be easy to find since you and others seem to reference it like its been said so frequently)

I had a feeling I would still be waiting for you to address this SanDiego. Oh well. I will take your silence as you being unable to provide me with what I asked. YOu can go back to belittling people who disagree with you now.
  • Jiks

Thanks. I'll be waiting.

I had a feeling I would still be waiting for you to address this SanDiego. Oh well. I will take your silence as you being unable to provide me with what I asked. YOu can go back to belittling people who disagree with you now.

It's the simple fact that we are 6-1 and still getting people crying... I mean, you can't get much better than 6-1 but we still have people that insist Alex sucks because he missed an open target. Nevermind the fact that Smith is tops in the league in T.O ratio, efficiency, QB rating and most important W/L column. The only thing these guys look at is one stat out of them all YARDAGE! Why is that so important? That's what I don't get. Then there is always these detractors that come up with "hypotheticals" or "Alexcuses" to dismiss anything he's done positive. "Alex has been a decent game manager, but he can't throw the ball long, he has small hands, can't read defenses, Harbaugh doesn't trust him, he's holding this offense back, if we had a guy like Rodgers we would be phenominal, etc."
All SD was saying is that people can't grasp a simple, I mean very very very very very simple concept that Rogders throws 10+ more times a game thus more yardage. It's so damn simple isn't it?
Share 49ersWebzone