There are 240 users in the forums

Why are we not using Vernon Davis?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Plus I don't mind them throwing to walker. He was a wr in college.
We are using him.
Originally posted by GOLD22VEINS:
Our offense is fine. Why fix something that's not broken. You're questioning a coach who is 5-1. Maybe he's not getting touches because this is his role.

...for now
Originally posted by MertonHanksneck:
...for now

Ya... But we all know that has nothing to do with the weapons. It has everything to do with the pizza delivery boy#11. But let's not make it another one of those kinda threads
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We used him one game when he complained. The Bengals game. And he had over 100 yards and was hugely productive. Now we keep him in to block like Singletary used to... What's the point of a talent like that if you don't even use him? This is a guy who had 965 yards and 13 TD's with sub par QB's and sub par O Lines. I don't get that we don't use him more. Screw Crabtree and Braylon when he gets back and Delanie. Get the ball to VD!

The same singletary he got 965 yards and 13 touchdowns under! I think you mean Nolan
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
We used him one game when he complained. The Bengals game. And he had over 100 yards and was hugely productive. Now we keep him in to block like Singletary used to... What's the point of a talent like that if you don't even use him? This is a guy who had 965 yards and 13 TD's with sub par QB's and sub par O Lines. I don't get that we don't use him more. Screw Crabtree and Braylon when he gets back and Delanie. Get the ball to VD!

The same singletary he got 965 yards and 13 touchdowns under! I think you mean Nolan

And mike martz
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
My penis is starting to tingle the game is getting so close.
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:

Both Nolan and Sing used VD. Not so much Harbaugh.
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
We are using him.

Nowhere near enough.
Originally posted by MertonHanksneck:
Our offense is fine. Why fix something that's not broken. You're questioning a coach who is 5-1. Maybe he's not getting touches because this is his role.

...for now

You want a 6'3 1/2" 255 lb. guy who runs a 4.37 to 4.38 40 and was the #6 overall pick to stand in and block. That's his role....

Originally posted by mayo49:
My penis is starting to tingle the game is getting so close.

This
You're not going to like this San Diego, but its the quarterback.

For example, there were several times in the Detroit game where Vernon was single covered, running down the sideline, or wide open down the middle, but Alex didn't make the throw.

One play to highlight in particular; the play right before Walker's game winning TD grab. It didn't have to be so dramatic because we should have scored on 3rd down. Yes, there was an unblocked blitzer from the side, but Vernon had walled off his man right in the middle of the field and Alex just needed to throw the ball to him on a simple five yard slant. Instead, he saw the blitzer, panicked and threw the ball away. Let me repeat, he had PLENTY of time to make the TD throw to Vernon.

You love Alex, so I know this won't get through to you, but Vernon IS open, and we ARE sending him deep. The ball is just not getting to him.

This is the type of quarterback Alex is. A game manager, who plays efficient. This year, due to great coaching, he is not making very many mistakes, which is allowing our improved special teams and defense to win games for us.
Scheme is not the reason, this is just the TYPE of quarterback Alex Smith is. Alex Smith is an efficient game manager, who has been playing GREAT for us in that role.
Plus I don't mind them throwing to walker. He was a wr in college.

But not a good enough one to be so in the pros...
Originally posted by BrianGO:
You're not going to like this San Diego, but its the quarterback.

For example, there were several times in the Detroit game where Vernon was single covered, running down the sideline, or wide open down the middle, but Alex didn't make the throw.

One play to highlight in particular; the play right before Walker's game winning TD grab. It didn't have to be so dramatic because we should have scored on 3rd down. Yes, there was an unblocked blitzer from the side, but Vernon had walled off his man right in the middle of the field and Alex just needed to throw the ball to him on a simple five yard slant. Instead, he saw the blitzer, panicked and threw the ball away. Let me repeat, he had PLENTY of time to make the TD throw to Vernon.

You love Alex, so I know this won't get through to you, but Vernon IS open, and we ARE sending him deep. The ball is just not getting to him.

This is the type of quarterback Alex is. A game manager, who plays efficient. This year, due to great coaching, he is not making very many mistakes, which is allowing our improved special teams and defense to win games for us.
Scheme is not the reason, this is just the TYPE of quarterback Alex Smith is. Alex Smith is an efficient game manager, who has been playing GREAT for us in that role.

He got 965 yards and 13 TD's and another 900 + and 7 TD's another year with Alex Smith. So it's hard to buy that argument. 20 TD's and almost 1,000 yards in 2 consecutive years. It's a lot of play calling and scheme too. Raye and Martz and NoWin and SingleBrainCell emphasized VD a lot more. It seems like Harbaugh doesn't know how to use him. Which is strange because he's so good at everything else.
5-1, lol

but really, maybe he doesn't like the fact Vernon is so huge but plays like the Kevin Barlow of TEs when he has the ball in this hands
[ Edited by RonMexico on Oct 29, 2011 at 2:12 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone