LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 313 users in the forums

Why are we not using Vernon Davis?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
VD was under pressure in front of his home crowd and this has not been his year scheme-wise...has had to block a lot! He needs to go back to basics, use the jugs machine and put this past him. He will be important later in the year when teams have to cover Crabtree and Edwards, perhaps with a double for Edwards. Then he will start to get open more and relax.

I don't blame him for the long drop as the defender was right there and VD did not have total body control to make the catch.

Wow man, serious? Really don't blame him for that drop? It was easy peazy for a pro TE.

I'd have to look again but I thought the defender had a hand in his face...no?

Once I finish this 3rd quarter in a minute, I'll go back and take another look..
Originally posted by Yunchang:
VD was under pressure in front of his home crowd and this has not been his year scheme-wise...has had to block a lot! He needs to go back to basics, use the jugs machine and put this past him. He will be important later in the year when teams have to cover Crabtree and Edwards, perhaps with a double for Edwards. Then he will start to get open more and relax.

I don't blame him for the long drop as the defender was right there and VD did not have total body control to make the catch.

Wow man, serious? Really don't blame him for that drop? It was easy peazy for a pro TE.

Davis should of made that catch. However, he is still a huge key to our offense considering we run so many two TE sets. No way we create as many matchup problems with Pelle and Walker as compared to Davis and Walker.

Agree, and please don't think I am hating on VD or want him outta SF. I'm a big fan of his.. but just want better focus from him.

Davis should of made that catch. However, he is still a huge key to our offense considering we run so many two TE sets. No way we create as many matchup problems with Pelle and Walker as compared to Davis and Walker.

Agree, and please don't think I am hating on VD or want him outta SF. I'm a big fan of his.. but just want better focus from him.

I dont think your hating on him. He needs to make that play. I just completely disagree with the people that think he should be traded.
That drop was on VD. All the Niners fans sitting near me started booing VD. Regardless if the defender had a hand in his face you have to make that catch. In his defense they really aren't using him effectively at all. I'm sure he looks at all the targets Gates, Witten, and Gonzalez are getting and he's wondering why his pro bowl talents aren't used more. With the passing game struggling it makes no sense that the best weapon in the passing game can't be used better. Coaching staff has to do better getting him involved, and VD needs to make plays when they do come to him. you cna't complain when you drop passes.
I dont think your hating on him. He needs to make that play. I just completely disagree with the people that think he should be traded.

Cool... and I so agree with the bolded.

Okay, it's 11:41 in the 3rd. No question, VD has to make that grab. He puts up both arms and the ball clanks off VD's right forearm. The DB was trailing right on his back, but DB's hands were not in VD's face obstructing as the ball arrives.

Okay, it's 11:41 in the 3rd. No question, VD has to make that grab. He puts up both arms and the ball clanks off VD's right forearm. The DB was trailing right on his back, but DB's hands were not in VD's face obstructing as the ball arrives.

That was one hell of a throw too. Davis usually catches those passes. I'm not worried about Davis and expect him to bounce back next week! He'll have to be a bigger part of the offense next week with Gore nursing a sprain. I dont expect our running game to carry us offensively against the Giants and think we'll need another stellar defensive performance with more help from our passing game to beat the Giants.
[ Edited by NinerG94 on Nov 7, 2011 at 8:13 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerG94:
That was one hell of a throw too. Davis usually catches those passes. I'm not worried about Davis and expect him to bounce back next week! He'll have to be a bigger part of the offense next week with Gore nursing a sprain. I dont expect our running game to carry us offensively against the Giants and think we'll need another stellar defensive performance with more help from our passing game to beat the Giants.

i agree. that throw was spot on perfect. one of the nicest balls i have seen alex throw. could have been tucked in a bit tighter (if i were to complain about anything) but vernon needs to make that catch. it was a tough catch but if you are as talented as he is that needs to be caught.
On a side note, and I'll rewatch the game again, it seems like when we did go 4 WR's, Alex immediately got sacked. It seemed like Davis dropped two passes that were right in his hands/bread basket, Brown had a poor game also as did Culliver today; big cushions.
Vd did not have a good game, perhaps because he had about 90 friends and family watching and he was "back home". Still, that's no excuse. Hopefully he does better and gets more looks the 2nd half of the season.
I know I was.. am? critical of VD's game, but he did have a couple of clutch receptions. Head up high, VD... we know you will play better vs the NYG.

Don't get me wrong, I think VD is very good and one of the best offensive players on our team. His hands and body control are what will keep him from being an elite TE though IMO.
I'm not too worried about Davis getting his touches. Like OldMan9er said...we know he will predominantly play better football. He's a freakin' beast! Harbaugh still needs to get him a few more grabs a again though in general. Davis is as good for blocking as he is for recieving. Hence why he's a pro bowl TE who derserves the right amount of both.
One thing no one has mentioned, and i found this by reviewing all game tapes again, is that not only is Vernon a great blocker, but when one of our guys gets anohter 10 or 12 yds, in the background you frequently see #85 lighting up some LB or CB, maybe DB. Yes, he is a fantastic blocker on running plays, but next few games, go back and look at our long completions to other receivers and you frequently see Vernon making a bloc good for another 8-12 yds.

As for the drop, yup , he dropped it. But we need to feed him the ball more, and let him go and get it. SD is right about getting him 10 or so passes/game. Obviously if he is doubled, no , but when in single coverage, we REALLY need to throw to him. Once he gets going he is a load to bring down. The ball strip? You won't see that again all season.

Thanks oldman, I may have been overly willing to excuse him because I really don't expect him to make that kind of catch. As good as he is, he is not a natural receiver. I'm referring to the Brent Jones type of guy who, when he drops a pass, you go back to the books to see what year was his last drop. But he is a very tireless worker and will no doubt get better even with the difficult catches.

He has been blocking so much that he may be out of sorts with catching. Just a thought.
  • ttime
Thanks oldman, I may have been overly willing to excuse him because I really don't expect him to make that kind of catch. As good as he is, he is not a natural receiver. I'm referring to the Brent Jones type of guy who, when he drops a pass, you go back to the books to see what year was his last drop. But he is a very tireless worker and will no doubt get better even with the difficult catches.

He has been blocking so much that he may be out of sorts with catching. Just a thought.

I don't think that Brent Jones would have even been in position to attempt to make that catch. Two totally different types of players.
Share 49ersWebzone