There are 312 users in the forums

Are we wearing our players out?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are we wearing our players out?

They just had a whole week off.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Those stats are meaningless too, without comparing to starters of other teams past and present.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Yes, like $20 whores.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
This isn't baseball or basketball where the same guys play an entire game. Offensive and defensive players come off the field for rest regularly as possessions change. Most football players, assuming they stay healthy, should be playing nearly all of the available snaps.

I think it's twice as challenging as basketball and 10 times more challenging as baseball. Basketball players can stand and rest on the court. In football, you have to go 100% effort on every snap. You can play 27 innings of baseball and you won't even come close to comparing to footballs physical exertion. That's why football games are once a week and baseball you can play double headers.
No
I think i do more work in a week then they do, so.... I doubt they are worn out.
Yeah, big difference between being in on 95% of the defensive snaps as opposed to being on the field for 95% of the game.. Ya know...
I would like to see if we can get Demarcus Dobbs (sp?) get in for relief a little bit, help give the guys a little breather plus give him an opportunity to develop.....perhaps in the 4th quarter when we are up and some other backups are mopping it up? See how he handles his assignments against first stringers and get our confidence up in him as we head into the late season/playoffs
NO. The more they play the more of a chance there is to get injured, but they will be more conditioned for the end of the season and possibly a playoff run.
We'll know after week 11 if they were over played. It's probably the film study and meetings after a 3hr practice that is more butt kicking. Meetings are necessary evils. I've read about players falling asleep in meetings. Bring on the double shot mocha.

that article inteviewing Fangio should give us some insight that he is tracking these things. right now they're just numbers with nothing to compare them to. like mentioned earlier 95% of the defensive snaps doesnt mean 95% of the game. when they are playing well, limiting offenses to <5 play drives, they will be just fine. like its been said, Fangio is a smart guy, he will make sure his guys are in good shape for the post season.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I don't think the issue is physical exertion, the issue is the bumps and bruises of a season.
no. thousands of players have done this before. they will be ok.
give me comparable data on previous teams that have had success throughout the regular and postseason and then we can determine whether our guys' pt is out of the ordinary
Would be nice to grab a 3-4 more wins first and then MAYBE start developing some depth just a bit. But get the wins with your best players first.
Share 49ersWebzone