There are 158 users in the forums

Baas vs Goodwin

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I believe all the 2011 free agent acquisitions have helped the 49ers this season. The only acquisition I'm not sure about is Goodwin replacing Baas. I don't have any stats (ie sacks given up or tackles for a loss given up) to compare Goodwin vs Baas. I know Baas missed one game already for the Giants with an injury whereas Goodwin has started and finished all the games for the 49ers. I think Goodwin is an upgrade although the pre-season the O-Line was terrible. Goodwin is also older than Baas.

Does anybody have stats or info to compare how these guys are playing, Goodwin vs Baas?
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Goodwin, 3 years $10.9M >>>>>>>>>>> Baas, 5 years $27.5M
Originally posted by Otter:

For probably around the same level of production too I might add.
  • cgida
  • Veteran

Enough said. No stats needed.

This and the center is the "qb" of the o-line, he calls the protections and sets the blocking scheme, the looks better this year in part because he seems to be making good calls!
I haven't been that impressed with Goodwin. Baas is more powerful and would be better at opening holes up in the middle. However, that is probably his only advantage. Maybe not worth the extra cash.
Originally posted by blm7754:
I haven't been that impressed with Goodwin. Baas is more powerful and would be better at opening holes up in the middle. However, that is probably his only advantage. Maybe not worth the extra cash.

Baas is an average center. He isn't about to be making any top 10 lists. Goodwin is an average center.
Originally posted by blm7754:

Goodwin is only a stop gap, either Kilgore is being groomed for the spot or we draft a C this year
f**k david baas

Haven't follow how Baas has played this year. I can only talk about Goodwin. He seems to played better the last 2-3 games. On the Smith INT in the Lions' game, Goodwin got pushed by his man into Smith's drop, causing Smith to do a little side step, late on the timing, so he hurried the throw and not step into it correctly. It the was only one bad play by Goodwin. There may be many other good ones. But if I keep seeing these bad plays popping up affecting a turnover, I reserved the option to start hating one Goodwin.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Oct 26, 2011 at 8:58 AM ]

Well Baas hasn't played in all the games this year so certainly Goodwin has an upper hand there.

If the line continues to play like it has the last couple of games I'd call this a definite win.
Since Baas isn't even a 49er I'll go with Goodwin.

END THREAD
I can't imagine our OL playing much better than it has over the last three games with Baas over Goodwin. I think we could say with certainty that the difference wouldn't be enough to justify $1.9 million more per year and $7.5 million more guaranteed.

Just with my eye test, Goodwin seems far more mobile and fits our evolving blocking schemes better than Baas would have, who is more of a mauler.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Oct 26, 2011 at 9:21 AM ]
Based on performance and salaries and wins - Goodwin was the better choice. I also think Baalke/JH will have an excellent replacement for him when the time comes.
Share 49ersWebzone