There are 75 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers Leading the League in Efficiency

sweet, let's keep it up
Wow, that is really awesome. Good find dude.

Niners ain't nuthin' to f**k wit.
[ Edited by HessianDud on Oct 22, 2011 at 8:51 PM ]
Originally posted by HessianDud:

STATS ARE FOR LOSERS LOL
  • mod
  • Veteran
Thaint Louith ith tho terrible
hey, we're 5-1 and there is still room for improvement. kinda scary to think about how good we can be once we clean up the mistakes and start firing on all cylinders. i'm enjoying the ride!
Originally posted by niners9ers:

STATS ARE FOR LOSERS LOL

ha!

to be fair, they certainly don't tell the whole story. I mean, the offensive efficiency stat just basically says that we score on short fields. I think the defensive efficiency is more telling, in terms of quantifying the "bend but don't break" idea, but even that doesn't seem like an accurate predictor of future results.

YPPA is a very simple way of measuring one type of efficiency, and for that it is effective. I mean, I don't think anyone would take our offense over New Englands--but its kind of cool to say that we have a better offense than them.
Is It Next Sunday Yet
  • kush
  • Veteran
Wow, stats like this mean nothing if you're losing but since we're 5-1 this is pretty f**king awesome to see!
Originally posted by niners9ers:
Is It Next Sunday Yet

what does this mean?
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
ha!

to be fair, they certainly don't tell the whole story. I mean, the offensive efficiency stat just basically says that we score on short fields. I think the defensive efficiency is more telling, in terms of quantifying the "bend but don't break" idea, but even that doesn't seem like an accurate predictor of future results.

YPPA is a very simple way of measuring one type of efficiency, and for that it is effective. I mean, I don't think anyone would take our offense over New Englands--but its kind of cool to say that we have a better offense than them.

But at the same time, it means our offense takes advantage of the short field provided to them by defense (and special teams). So many great defenses didn't have an offense that could take advantage of such situations - so I think it does say quite a bit about our offense. But yea, our offense is obviously not better than New England, and I believe efficiency is also the wrong word to use. I'd call our offense most "opportunist" in the league.

Anyway, this a good find. This is why we're 5-1, we defend like a top defense when it matters, and we play like a good offense when we have to.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
ha!

But at the same time, it means our offense takes advantage of the short field provided to them by defense (and special teams). So many great defenses didn't have an offense that could take advantage of such situations - so I think it does say quite a bit about our offense. But yea, our offense is obviously not better than New England, and I believe efficiency is also the wrong word to use. I'd call our offense most "opportunist" in the league.

Anyway, this a good find. This is why we're 5-1, we defend like a top defense when it matters, and we play like a good offense when we have to.

well put. "efficient" would imply to me that you don't turn the ball over, turn takeaways into points, convert third downs, score in the red zone, etc. We're good on most of those things but not all. We're pretty bad overall on third down. I think "opportunist" is apt.

i think this stat just clearly states what we've all seen already, but it is useful in explaining our team and their success to people who think its a mirage or a fluke or something. Talking heads probably won't take notice of something like this, but it would be less frustrating if they did.
Originally posted by stunder49:
what does this mean?

CHAMPPPPPPIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!
I am so pumped up about this team! Can't wait to come see the team come back from the bye fresh, healthy, with Braylon back ready to blow some f**king browns out!