There are 151 users in the forums

Billick: "...defense will only carry 49ers so far"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He is not wrong, we are playing very good, but to be great the passing game needs to get where the defense and running game are. We could keep a Rogers or Brady down, but if we cant, there needs to be enough bullets in the gun to win a shoot out.
Will Alex Smith ever be as good as Tom Brady? No. Does he have to be? No. He has to be good enough for us to win. To say that we are just a team that runs the ball, plays great defense, and doesn't make enough mistakes at quarterback isn't quite right. The most important stat that seems to be getting overlooked, is that Alex Smith has three come from behind game WINNING drives in the last four weeks on the road no less. The one week he didn't was a blowout win.

Also, our team is getting better week by week, faster than any team I have ever seen before. This makes sense due to the lockout. So far we have shown no signs that we have reached our peak. Against the Eagles, Vick threw for 400 yards. Our front seven was always the best part of our defense. Lately, I would say our secondary is starting to gel and now we have a complete defense. Our pass rush is better too this year. I see no reason the offense won't make these strides as well. It takes longer to implament a new offense than it does a defense that was already a 3-4. I think the Cowboys were lucky to catch us in week two. I'm curious to see how good we are by the time we reach the Ravens.

For these reasons, I think comparing us to the superbowl Ravens is apples to oranges. Trent Dilfer was the worst qb to ever win a superbowl. The next year they got rid of him in an effort to improve the position. Their defense was not just a good defense, it was one of the best ever. Those guys used to score a lot, or get turnovers to make up for Dilfers picks.

Can we win a superbowl with Alex Smith? Why not? Skys the limit.
Originally posted by mickey49:
Didn't see this posted anywhere:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8234b8f3/article/in-the-passhappy-nfl-defense-will-carry-the-49ers-only-so-far

I tend to agree. The defense has been outstanding overall, but we haven't faced a QB the likes of Brady, Brees, or Rodgers this season. Come playoff time (no jinx), we might have to deal with a QB like that. Thoughts? Think our D can contain elite QBs like those guys?
Did he not watch the second half of the Philadelphia Eagles game? Our defense got gashed by Michael Vick, he had a career day. There's no way we would've won that game without the offensive explosion from Alex Smith. He threw for like 190 yards and 2 TD's. The run didn't pick up until later in the 2nd half. Funny how people forget.
Sorry, I got two duplicate posts.
[ Edited by Psinex on Oct 21, 2011 at 6:52 AM ]
Sorry, another duplicate post. Please delete.
[ Edited by Psinex on Oct 21, 2011 at 6:52 AM ]
Billick's article was not as critical/skeptical as I was expecting based on its title. He definitely seems to think we are for real and believes Smith may break out and have a big game. It just hasn't happened yet (hasn't needed to).
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
He's right, it's a different era, rules force you to have a great passing game. Until 5 years ago, there were maybe 3-5 franchise QBS per era. Now there are 10-12 because they've made it so much easier. Remember when it was unbelievable how Big Ben was so successful as a rookie? Now there's 2-3 every year. No coincidence. Alex has improved but he's got a ways to go.
I think the reason our secondary has played better the last couple of weeks is the increased playing time of Aldon Smith.
Originally posted by TX9R:
He's right, it's a different era, rules force you to have a great passing game. Until 5 years ago, there were maybe 3-5 franchise QBS per era. Now there are 10-12 because they've made it so much easier. Remember when it was unbelievable how Big Ben was so successful as a rookie? Now there's 2-3 every year. No coincidence. Alex has improved but he's got a ways to go.

explain?
IMO we could dismantle the saints, Its the Pats/Packers im worried about.

Originally posted by 49ersMan420:

Yes, I'm worried about the Pats and Packers, but as we've shown against a one-dimensional team that does not run well...we can generate a good pass rush with only 3 or 4 linemen while dropping everyone else back into coverage. Culliver neutralized Calvin Johnson, and Carlos Rogers is good on smaller veteran type (ala Welker and Jennings) receivers. Willis and Bowman are great at limiting gains on short dumpoff type passes and streaks. I think we will match up better than others think.

If we study the film and our DB's and safeties figure out Brady and Rodger's tendencies, I'm sure Fangio will come up with a good strategy on how to bottle them up. The problem with those two QB's is that they pass into double and triple coverage and still complete passes because they lead their receivers and have excellent recognition.
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:

Yes, I'm worried about the Pats and Packers, but as we've shown against a one-dimensional team that does not run well...we can generate a good pass rush with only 3 or 4 linemen while dropping everyone else back into coverage. Culliver neutralized Calvin Johnson, and Carlos Rogers is good on smaller veteran type (ala Welker and Jennings) receivers. Willis and Bowman are great at limiting gains on short dumpoff type passes and streaks. I think we will match up better than others think.

If we study the film and our DB's and safeties figure out Brady and Rodger's tendencies, I'm sure Fangio will come up with a good strategy on how to bottle them up. The problem with those two QB's is that they pass into double and triple coverage and still complete passes because they lead their receivers and have excellent recognition.

Neutralized? A clue: No.

Our D kept him out of the endzone, but he still had big numbers against us.
Guys, what makes you think that scheming against the Pat and/or Packers would be any different than what we've done offensively and defensively against let's say the Lions? IMO, we would apply the same D with more blitzing to bring pressure to both Brady and Rodgers. We would play the pass and allow Willis and Bowman to take care of the middle while the DBs jam the LOS and take care of the back end.

Remember how frickin' Parcells would ground and pound us in the 80s and our passing game and Joe would be defunct. Damn, Joe Morris would gash us and both our Ds would go off. I remember a very low scoring game one year against those mofos. Brutal!!!

To be honest, I would expect our D to dictate the terms against both Rodgers and Brady. We would try to do the same we did against the Lions. Sure those two will get their yards, but not their TDs.

On offense, we would ground and pound with a little trickery like a reverse to soften up their Ds. We would find a way to be up and then pound them unmercifully to the ground in the fourth keeping both of those QBs OFF the field.

The key against Brady and Rodgers has always been pressure.

IMO, Harbaugh in just his first six games has proven he knows how to coach and especially scheme.

McCarthy and Bellicheat would have a fight on their hands. IMO, the Pats are more apt to have a dog fight than GB. These two contests would be low scoring with the first to 20 winning.

Seriously though, out of all the teams in the league, we are built to address, survive and prevail against both of those teams, now.

JMO though...
Originally posted by ninertico:
Guys, what makes you think that scheming against the Pat and/or Packers would be any different than what we've done offensively and defensively against let's say the Lions? IMO, we would apply the same D with more blitzing to bring pressure to both Brady and Rodgers. We would play the pass and allow Willis and Bowman to take care of the middle while the DBs jam the LOS and take care of the back end.

Remember how frickin' Parcells would ground and pound us in the 80s and our passing game and Joe would be defunct. Damn, Joe Morris would gash us and both our Ds would go off. I remember a very low scoring game one year against those mofos. Brutal!!!

To be honest, I would expect our D to dictate the terms against both Rodgers and Brady. We would try to do the same we did against the Lions. Sure those two will get their yards, but not their TDs.

On offense, we would ground and pound with a little trickery like a reverse to soften up their Ds. We would find a way to be up and then pound them unmercifully to the ground in the fourth keeping both of those QBs OFF the field.

The key against Brady and Rodgers has always been pressure.

IMO, Harbaugh in just his first six games has proven he knows how to coach and especially scheme.

McCarthy and Bellicheat would have a fight on their hands. IMO, the Pats are more apt to have a dog fight than GB. These two contests would be low scoring with the first to 20 winning.

Seriously though, out of all the teams in the league, we are built to address, survive and prevail against both of those teams, now.

JMO though...

I think bellicheat is good enough even with his crappy defense to plan out a gameplan that would confuse Alex into throwing a few INT's.

I hope we make the playoffs, and I hope we get the saints, so we can get them back for the preseason blitz fest.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I think bellicheat is good enough even with his crappy defense to plan out a gameplan that would confuse Alex into throwing a few INT's.

I hope we make the playoffs, and I hope we get the saints, so we can get them back for the preseason blitz fest.

I hope he blitzes the s**t out of him. Oddly enough, that's where Alex would excel. I guess I'm seeing the genius at times of Harbaugh/Roman's play calling and trusting Alex to execute it. It's up to Alex.

To be honest, I don't think anyone can out psych us anymore. Roman's a master at it. I would expect Harbaugh and Roman dialilng up the perfect game plan against the Pats.

It would truly be a personal challenge. Heck, even Harbaugh mentioned Bellicheat by name in his HC conference.

Challenge accepted!!!

Wet dream alert: NFC Championship VS Packers....SB VS Pats. Then, we can see it unfold before our very eyes.

Then I woke up....
[ Edited by ninertico on Oct 21, 2011 at 9:36 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone