LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 177 users in the forums

Billick: "...defense will only carry 49ers so far"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
the Niner offense is the best I have seen it in years---as is the defense and special teams---everything is better---we were competitive with top teams before any of the improvement--we just could never get over the top on the good teams---now I think we can play with anyone.
  • carl
  • Veteran
Um, haven't faced a good QB yet? Stafford threw how many TD's to Megatron in how many consecutive games? Michael Vick isn't any good?

It certainly helps that our defense hasn't allowed a 100 yard rusher in 28 consecutive games nor a single rushing TD this season. That certainly helps our pass defense.

Don't worry, we'll see plenty of QB's to test our offense in the playoffs. Hopefully they'll shut them down like they have every single team they've faced so far this season. Well, the Eagles moved the ball exceptionally well against us, but we did mostly stop them from scoring TD's.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, Donald Driver, Randall Cobb, James Jones.

Carlos Rogers, Shawntae Spencer, Chris Culliver, Tarell Brown

I think the only player Brown might be able to match up on is James Jones.
Tramaine brock could also be in the picture. He could've been our NB right now if not for the broken hand.
Originally posted by carl:
Um, haven't faced a good QB yet? Stafford threw how many TD's to Megatron in how many consecutive games? Michael Vick isn't any good?

It certainly helps that our defense hasn't allowed a 100 yard rusher in 28 consecutive games nor a single rushing TD this season. That certainly helps our pass defense.

Don't worry, we'll see plenty of QB's to test our offense in the playoffs. Hopefully they'll shut them down like they have every single team they've faced so far this season. Well, the Eagles moved the ball exceptionally well against us, but we did mostly stop them from scoring TD's.

they always have to justify why a team is winning with stupid excuses when they cant be sure they will win. they wanna cover up the fact that their predictions were wrong and were some kind of crazy fluke until its proven fact and generally accepted truth that the niners are a great team. fuggggum
Originally posted by HessianDud:

same dumb qualifiers everyone uses to describe the 49ers.

we have the #7 scoring offense. call me crazy, but i think you can win a lot of games when you score more points than the other team.
Say What!!! Defense won the packers a superbowl. And the bucs, and the ravens.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by HessianDud:

same dumb qualifiers everyone uses to describe the 49ers.

we have the #7 scoring offense. call me crazy, but i think you can win a lot of games when you score more points than the other team.
Say What!!! Defense won the packers a superbowl. And the bucs, and the ravens.

and the niners two SBs vs the bungles save for a few miraculous drives by Joe lol
  • Huego
  • Veteran
Brady and Rodgers look unstoppable because they've played against s**t defenses all year so far. Brady was being contained by the cowboys defense, which ours is much better than.
I think we can all agree on one thing. Brian Billick is an idiot. Not because of that statement, but because of the stupid crap he says while commentating, and how dumb he sounds while he reports on teams on NFLN. When he starts talking I usually start tuning out, and disregard everything he says.
  • Jiks
With only about 3 months in the WCO, I am not too worried about it. We are putting up points (6th in the NFL) so there is no reason to be weary at the moment. Billick is right but wrong at the same time. If I remember correctly we put the ball in Smiths hands against the Eagles, Cincy, T.B. To say he has yet to do it, is an incorrect assessment. The question of "can he do it on a consistent basis?" is what the real question should be.
Not worried about it either, considering we can score at will when we actually pass the ball. Perfect example is when we have to play catch up and it seems we can pass the ball at ease.

Coming from the guy who won a super bowl with a amazing defence and a offence that just go the team by.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Passing offense is the only weak link on our team right now. After rewatching some of the Lions game, I noticed that there were plenty of drives where we started in great field position only to not get anything. We should have won that game by 2 TDs.

Penalties and injuries coupled with missing two top receivers and having VD block most of the game is what happened in Detroit. We still scored 25 and Delanie dropped a sure td. People are talking like the offense is terrible but we score 27 a game and that is good for seventh. This offense is still getting worked out and of all the teams with a winning record, we have faced the strongest competition by a good amount. I guess some people just have to find something to complain about. Some of you would have been complaining about Montana being a bust during his first Superbowl year.
Originally posted by 49ersGiantspride:
I think if we give Aldon his time the pass rush will automatically give our pass defense a dramatic boost. I agree with Billick that we're going to need Alex to make plays himself like he did against the Lions at least once in a while we can't get too dependent on Gore and Hunter. If we were to face the Pats I'd be confident against them because they aren't anything special on defense so that could be an advantage against them. The packers have a better defense plus a good offense so they would be a huge challenge. As long as our pass rush develops and Alex takes a bigger role I think we'll be fine.

The packers are currently the 31st ranked pass defense. What is this mythical good defense they have? Their pass defense is bad, and they haven't even faced the lions yet. They are not as good defensively as they were last year, and have chronic o line injuries. If you hit Rodgers a few times, he does get rattled, it happened against the rams.in the second half. If you can rush him without sending extra guys, you have a decent chance of making him throw poor passes. Green Bay might be the media darling, but defense and a great run game will win you games.
Last time i checked we have scored the 6th most pts in the NFL so far....
Originally posted by mickey49:
Didn't see this posted anywhere:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8234b8f3/article/in-the-passhappy-nfl-defense-will-carry-the-49ers-only-so-far

I tend to agree. The defense has been outstanding overall, but we haven't faced a QB the likes of Brady, Brees, or Rodgers this season. Come playoff time (no jinx), we might have to deal with a QB like that. Thoughts? Think our D can contain elite QBs like those guys?

I agree the defense has been great, and the offense doing enough to get the victories. Only 1 blowout so far. I recall the 9ers under coach Sing playing on a Monday night taking the Saints into overtime last year. They should have won that game in regulation, if it weren't for mistakes by Alex and probably coaching. Those area's seemed fix or correct for now.

I think the offense will only get better, barring injuries........
Share 49ersWebzone