LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 212 users in the forums

Billick: "...defense will only carry 49ers so far"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Free alex!
terrell brown will get raped by james jones, donald diver, jordy nelson or whoever is in the slot. our seconday is the thing that scares me to death against the packers whos crazy deep at wr
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
terrell brown will get raped by james jones, donald diver, jordy nelson or whoever is in the slot. our seconday is the thing that scares me to death against the packers whos crazy deep at wr

Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, Donald Driver, Randall Cobb, James Jones.

Carlos Rogers, Shawntae Spencer, Chris Culliver, Tarell Brown

I think the only player Brown might be able to match up on is James Jones.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

pretty sure Rogers lines up in the slot, with Brown and Cully playing outside.

GB definitely has a s**tload of weapons. But Aldon Smith vs. Whoever They Have Playing at Left Tackle By the Time the Playoffs Roll Around is one in our favor.
Ask the Eagles if Alex "just hasn't done it yet"
Originally posted by Bryant4everYoung:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by mickey49:
Didn't see this posted anywhere:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8234b8f3/article/in-the-passhappy-nfl-defense-will-carry-the-49ers-only-so-far

I tend to agree. The defense has been outstanding overall, but we haven't faced a QB the likes of Brady, Brees, or Rodgers this season. Come playoff time (no jinx), we might have to deal with a QB like that. Thoughts? Think our D can contain elite QBs like those guys?

Pot meet Kettle...

Beat me too it.

This is the guy who won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer.

He addressed this point in his comments. He admitted that the Ravens could win with defense and Dilfer because there was a talent vacuum at QB across the league at that time. That's not the case right now. There are more HOF caliber QB's at the top of their games right now than any point I can recall.

On top of that, the passing game in this league is way out of control. You will not win a SB anymore if your QB can't move the ball consistently.
This is very debatable either way, but having Billick say this is a joke. QB talent Vacuum? Warner's Ram's come off a SB the previous year, Favre, Gannon,Manning, Culppeper, Mcnabb is not to shabby. What bothers me the most is that he assumes AS = Dilfer( ).
I noticed that as well like seriously did he forget just how horrible Trent Dilfer played throughout his career he had a few solid season in 97 and 98 but he had to be one of the most inaccurate quarterbacks i have ever seen 55% completion percentage for his career.
Originally posted by mickey49:
Didn't see this posted anywhere:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8234b8f3/article/in-the-passhappy-nfl-defense-will-carry-the-49ers-only-so-far

I tend to agree. The defense has been outstanding overall, but we haven't faced a QB the likes of Brady, Brees, or Rodgers this season. Come playoff time (no jinx), we might have to deal with a QB like that. Thoughts? Think our D can contain elite QBs like those guys?

The SEAHAWKS beat Drew Brees in the playoffs...
Originally posted by HessianDud:

GB definitely has a s**tload of weapons. But Aldon Smith vs. Whoever They Have Playing at Left Tackle By the Time the Playoffs Roll Around is one in our favor.

Can i get an Amen?

If we did have a better QB then we would be unstoppable, But we got Alex and his faults will cause us to lose games agianst the top shelf Teams. He couldnt play like he did in Det and win. We would get slaughtered cuz the D will be on the Field way too long.
[ Edited by SF4EVA on Oct 20, 2011 at 4:48 PM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
why isn't that true?

what positions, DL or LB?
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
Originally posted by HessianDud:

Can i get an Amen?

If we did have a better QB then we would be unstoppable, But we got Alex and his faults will cause us to lose games agianst the top shelf Teams. He couldnt play like he did in Det and win. We would get slaughtered cuz the D will be on the Field way too long.

Alex played the way he played in Detroit and we won. There are better teams, for sure, but Detroit pairs a good defense with their good offense--which is something New England can't say, for example.

Alex's faults haven't caused us to lose any games this season. I don't buy that it is a guarantee that it will happen at some point.

Originally posted by rk1642:
I didn't think we'd be this far along with the O at this point in the season, so I'm happy with what they've done so far.

Can we step back and remember that we have a whole new coaching staff and offensive and defensive system.

We had very little time to even learn the playbook.

Oline is learning new blocking schemes.

We've played without Braylon and now Morgan and Gore was hurting.

But people still want to whine and complain that we don't what? score enough, pass for more yards?

All we've done is win and the O has come up big in crunch time.

Unbelievable, the complaining going on here.

This I have to agree with.
Coming from Billick I'm not sure how much that means.... I think I remember a mostly D team with no powerhouse offense that won for him....
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 20, 2011 at 5:27 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Funny he would say such a thing since his Super Bowl win was pretty much ALL defense.

And nevermind that our rushing offense is 5th in the league.
[ Edited by Kolohe on Oct 20, 2011 at 5:33 PM ]
Originally posted by Redgoldknight:
I agree 100% with Billick. We need a whole lot more out of Alex. Defenses are going to start stacking 7-8men in the box and we are going to be stuck, We need to truly start opening up the firld and taking advantage of our plethora of weapons for an ariel attack. This is what the 49ers are known ande built for. High flying air attack with high scoring games in the 40's and 50's. No teams coming back on us because we put the game away..Plus we are waisting vast talent in Vernon Davis(Mr. All-World).

Let 'em stack the box. Balance is what Harbaugh is aiming for, our balance and the opposing team's imbalance. That's why Harbaugh signed on for the WCO, that's why he is moving Delaney Walker all over the place, that's why VD has been invisible. Let 'em stack the box and it will be shock and awe. I think Detroit knew this and thought better than to try it.

No worries my friend.
We got by Vick. And he was ON FIRE playing us.
Share 49ersWebzone