There are 154 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Billick: "...defense will only carry 49ers so far"

billick can suck one.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
I agree. But, only for this year since we are lacking the depth on defense. There's no way this defense is gonna be able to play at this level all season, we just don't have the depth to keep most of these guys fresh.

Pretty much the same non sense Jim Mora was saying because we don't rotate Dlinemen in and out like Detroit. It's not true at all.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

same dumb qualifiers everyone uses to describe the 49ers.

we have the #7 scoring offense. call me crazy, but i think you can win a lot of games when you score more points than the other team.

according to some color analysts the team that scores more points than the other team USUALLY wins.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by Redgoldknight:
I agree 100% with Billick. We need a whole lot more out of Alex. Defenses are going to start stacking 7-8men in the box and we are going to be stuck, We need to truly start opening up the firld and taking advantage of our plethora of weapons for an ariel attack. This is what the 49ers are known ande built for. High flying air attack with high scoring games in the 40's and 50's. No teams coming back on us because we put the game away..Plus we are waisting vast talent in Vernon Davis(Mr. All-World).

Hopefully, when we get Braylon, Crabtree, Walker, and VD all playing, Smith can get us out of the 9 men box. You know we only had Crabtree in the last game against a killer d-line of the Lions right...

this. also, we haven't had any problems of breaking up a stacked box, or running against it.

and: this 49ers team is not built for a high flying air attack. I don't know where someone would get that idea.
I didn't think we'd be this far along with the O at this point in the season, so I'm happy with what they've done so far.

Can we step back and remember that we have a whole new coaching staff and offensive and defensive system.

We had very little time to even learn the playbook.

Oline is learning new blocking schemes.

We've played without Braylon and now Morgan and Gore was hurting.

But people still want to whine and complain that we don't what? score enough, pass for more yards?

All we've done is win and the O has come up big in crunch time.

Unbelievable, the complaining going on here.
my defense can beat your offense. with that said, i think our defense can outscore our offense too
Originally posted by Redgoldknight:
I agree 100% with Billick. We need a whole lot more out of Alex. Defenses are going to start stacking 7-8men in the box and we are going to be stuck, We need to truly start opening up the firld and taking advantage of our plethora of weapons for an ariel attack. This is what the 49ers are known ande built for. High flying air attack with high scoring games in the 40's and 50's. No teams coming back on us because we put the game away..Plus we are waisting vast talent in Vernon Davis(Mr. All-World).

Wtf, they do this now. And we beat it
Our defense LAST year almost (should've) beat Brees and Matt Ryan. We can definitely hang with any offense this year.
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Wtf, they do this now. And we beat it
agreed
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Yeah, to the Super Bowl.

He coached one of the BEST DEFENSES and WORST OFFENSES, lead by below avg QB Trent Dilfer ... soo I dont know wtf hes talking about.
Originally posted by mickey49:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Beat me too it.

This is the guy who won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer.

I thought he brought up a good point on how there weren't any really elite QBs at that time. Off the top, I guess Warner and Favre?

I call BS on that one. QBs don't play each other.

If you can move the ball and score points and stop the other team from scoring, you win. Its really not much more complicated than that.

Do teams with big name QBs tend to win alot? Of course they do, but that isn't the only way to win.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
it doesn't really matter how you score the points, as long as you're scoring them.

Yeah keyword is as long as-and the defense can make plays but can't rely on the D to always do this. Especially in the playoffs.
Of all people to say it, he should be the absolute last person.
Many others around the league will disagree with Billick, and say Alex is playing like a top 10 QB. If he keeps this up, it'll be really hard for pundits to say he doesn't seriously deserve props. Look at the pass defense rankings we've faced or will face this season.

Faced Already:
Bengals - #3 in pass defense
Lions - #6 in pass defense
Eagles - #10 in pass defense
Cowboys - #14 in pass defense

Will Face:
Browns - #4 currently in pass defense
Steelers - #1 currently in pass defense
Ravens - #7 currently in pass defense
Redskins - #9 currently in pass defense
Rams - #15 currently in pass defense
Giants - #16 currently in pass defense

So... four winning teams and/or four teams with a pass defense in the top 10, and all teams being in the top half of the league in pass defense.
I think our offense is good because it always practices against our defense! Does that make sense?