There are 130 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

I'm Glad We Got 5 Yards Free .....

Originally posted by lamontb:
refs dropped the ball for both teams. It's like they took over the game. Extra 5 yards and and that horse collar were really bad calls.

Thats also on stupid ass Schwartz, you would think someone would have noticed that on their sideline, too busy yelling at Harbaugh to know the rules
No one (who could influence it) caught it.

Too bad, so sad.
Sucks to be you, Detroit.
Originally posted by lamontb:
refs dropped the ball for both teams. It's like they took over the game. Extra 5 yards and and that horse collar were really bad calls.

The horse collar call gave us an extra ten yards or so (half the distance to the goal) in a drive Akers kicked a 31 yard FG. He probably would have still made the FG, so I won't say that changed the game.

The extra five yard would have yielded a completely different set of play calls the moment we were first and goal from the 6. We likely wouldn't have lost 4 yards on the run where we had brought in a goal-line short yardage package with no WR's on the field. Had we run at the 11, we likely would have done so from a spread, or more spread, formation. After we took a step back in yardage we gained it back the next play on a short pass to Crabs (iirc) that put us back on the 6. It's likely we would have been in a similar position regardless of the 5 yards to start the drive. It's really hard to say whether or not that changed the game.

The call, if I were the lions, I would have been most pissed about is the non-call on Rodgers on the fourth down late in the fourth quarter.

The chop block was completely justified although the announcers irresponsibly didn't note their mistake when replays clearly showed that Pettigrew pushed the defender over the blocker that dove at the defender's feet.

Also, the complaint I hear about the safety is null as it would have resulted in a safety no matter how they called the play.

That being said, the refs really hurt us in the beginning of the game on a few calls so I think it's mostly a wash.
that ref team was horrible
If its free its me and I'll take three.
Good! That's what the refs get for going against us!
Originally posted by socalniner:

i agree they screwed up a lot of calls both ways. They were probably chosen for this game when everyone thought both teams would suck.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Ginn ran out of bounds on the Lions sideline. If their staff was paying attention they could have challenged the spot and clearly would have won the challenge.

This. Schwartz wants to yell across the field "know the rules" to our HC. Maybe he should've paid attention to the spot of the ball and challenged it.

That and the invisible horsecollar penalty on Gore which gave Niners more yards were the only two calls that went the Niners' way. The refs were against us the rest of the game with many BS penalties like roughing passer on Aldon or the lack of offsides penalty on Vanden Bosch which resulted in a sack/fumble. Of course none of these are mentioned. But the Niners won despite of it all.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
The horse collar call gave us an extra ten yards or so (half the distance to the goal) in a drive Akers kicked a 31 yard FG. He probably would have still made the FG, so I won't say that changed the game.

The extra five yard would have yielded a completely different set of play calls the moment we were first and goal from the 6. We likely wouldn't have lost 4 yards on the run where we had brought in a goal-line short yardage package with no WR's on the field. Had we run at the 11, we likely would have done so from a spread, or more spread, formation. After we took a step back in yardage we gained it back the next play on a short pass to Crabs (iirc) that put us back on the 6. It's likely we would have been in a similar position regardless of the 5 yards to start the drive. It's really hard to say whether or not that changed the game.

The call, if I were the lions, I would have been most pissed about is the non-call on Rodgers on the fourth down late in the fourth quarter.

The chop block was completely justified although the announcers irresponsibly didn't note their mistake when replays clearly showed that Pettigrew pushed the defender over the blocker that dove at the defender's feet.

Also, the complaint I hear about the safety is null as it would have resulted in a safety no matter how they called the play.

That being said, the refs really hurt us in the beginning of the game on a few calls so I think it's mostly a wash.

His name is ROGERS!!!!!!!!!! Damn I know it isn't that huge of a deal but wouldn't you feel a tad disrespected? Picture yourself playing like an absolute stud on your new team that has some of the best fans in the NFL and at least once a day seeing your name misspelled. Kinda chitty if you ask me. Oh and btw, the defender has a right to the football just as much as the receiver does.
Originally posted by spraked:
Originally posted by socalniner:

i agree they screwed up a lot of calls both ways. They were probably chosen for this game when everyone thought both teams would suck.
Sadly, this is supposedly one of the best crews in the league....But I guess that doesn't say much.
Originally posted by VaNiner540:
Originally posted by AmpLee:

His name is ROGERS!!!!!!!!!! Damn I know it isn't that huge of a deal but wouldn't you feel a tad disrespected? Picture yourself playing like an absolute stud on your new team that has some of the best fans in the NFL and at least once a day seeing your name misspelled. Kinda chitty if you ask me. Oh and btw, the defender has a right to the football just as much as the receiver does.

Calm down, noob. I really have to doubt how amazing our fans are when at least one can be so petty to jump all over another fan for misspelling someone's name.

Clearly, I know how to spell his name. Get over yourself.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/157299-2011-schedule-analysis-predictions/page4/search=rogers,amplee#post48

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/158991-aldon-for-rookie-the-week/page5/search=rogers,amplee#post62

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/155967-2011-2012-49ers-off-season-signings-fas-trades/page96/search=rogers,amplee#post1440

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/156397-49ers-million-under-cap/page16/search=rogers,amplee#post229
Originally posted by valrod33:
Thats also on stupid ass Schwartz, you would think someone would have noticed that on their sideline, too busy yelling at Harbaugh to know the rules

True as well whoever they have in the replay booth dropped the ball on that.
5 yards????

seriously? we're talking about 5 yards???
  • Antix
  • Veteran
That was a terribly officiated game for both teams. One of the worst I've seen. Every time they threw a flag they had to talk about it for 5 minutes. We got screwed and so did they. Whatever, we won.
Originally posted by VaNiner540:
Sadly, this is supposedly one of the best crews in the league....But I guess that doesn't say much.

Yes. In general, I like Mike C. as an official...and that is saying something because frankly, I haven't seen that many good ones over the years. In this way the NFL has really "dropped the ball"....by not training officials better and by not keeping them on a full-time payroll basis.

In 1983, the Niners were screwed out of an NFC Championship Game against the Skins in Washington due to 2 phantom calls on Wright and Lott. At least the officials in the Detroit game screwed both teams at times.

You could make the case that the 5 yards tacked onto the Ginn return was more important because of the time left and the fact that the Niners had to score a touchdown on that drive to win. However, there were ridiculous / atrocious / egregious calls on them too and they came more often. 17 penalties total! 15 accepted!

Fortunately, in this game, the Niners prevailed....which does show character as Harbaugh said in locker room after the game.