There are 130 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Media and the 49ers

Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
Did anyone hear cowherd do his power ranking? we were # 6. Really Colin? You suck. He also said the jets are better than Baltimore also. pitiful.

He gave the Bears all the credit for being the one team who could match up against the Packers... Noting their great defense, great special teams, and dominant run game.

He has several times that the Niners are also built to beat GB in GB. But like many he still doesn't trust Ales Smith. And nobody will til he proves it in the playoffs. smith just has to go prove it and you will see folks opinions change. He called Aaron Rodgers overrated last year til he proved it in the playoffs Then he gave him his props.

BAL has Suggs. GB has Matthews. GB could be a big problem to our passing game BUT, I don't think they can defend our run the way BAL did.
i really dont care as long as we didnt drop out of the top 5! Glad is fine!
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Did anyone hear cowherd do his power ranking? we were # 6. Really Colin? You suck. He also said the jets are better than Baltimore also. pitiful.

He gave the Bears all the credit for being the one team who could match up against the Packers... Noting their great defense, great special teams, and dominant run game.

He has several times that the Niners are also built to beat GB in GB. But like many he still doesn't trust Ales Smith. And nobody will til he proves it in the playoffs. smith just has to go prove it and you will see folks opinions change. He called Aaron Rodgers overrated last year til he proved it in the playoffs Then he gave him his props.

BAL has Suggs. GB has Matthews. GB could be a big problem to our passing game BUT, I don't think they can defend our run the way BAL did.

You have to take away both to do what Balt did.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/29/week-12-power-rankings-2/
Still #2 on this one from nfl.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82494e7e/article/lions-giants-plummeting-right-out-of-playoff-picture?module=HP11_cp
Originally posted by MSteitz468:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
I like those rankings we can't beat saints and packers. They don't run they just pass and we suck at stopping the pass

Are you joking, we lose on a short week, across the country, and now all of a sudden we can't beat teams anymore? Get a grip, we are really good at stopping the pass.

No frankly our D gets passed on by guys like Vick, dalton, romo imagine what. Bree's and Rogers will do. I'm not sold on our pass D and frankly we can't score enough to keep up with them in my opinion.
Most sites have us at #3, with the Ravens in front of us. -But it's more than likely (given how this league works week to week) we'll be #2 again next week (when the Ravens lose to an opponent they play down to), and we'll be capturing the NFC West crown.

-I'm just f**king glad the Saints aren't ahead of us (cause they can only blow teams out at home, and look like mediocre s**t on the road).
The NFL website still has the 49ers at #2 after the loss to Baltimore. There's just way too many of these rankings spread across the internet. Even Grant Cohn thinks he's important enough to have one.
Originally posted by danimal:
Guys its simple. Here is how NFL, CBS, ESPN etc etc make their Power Rankings.
step 1: Order the teams by standings

step 2: rearrange teams grouped together with same record, rearrange based on geography, East is always better than West

step 3: Identify 3 teams who are underperforming based on Mainstream Experts picks at the beginning of the season. These are the teams who the networks devote most of their coverage to regardless of if they win or lose. These teams can vary year to year, but more often contain the same teams for many years in a row. The Dallas Cowboys must always be one of these teams.

step 4: Move up the 3 struggling mainstream favorite teams a few spots in the rankings

step 5: assign a unique ranking to each with no ties

step 6: write some sophmoric b******t next to each team

step 7: release it, believe it or not people are actually waiting for thisI am betting the Saints are going to win tonight.

Here is your new basic power ranking for week 13. Excuse me for any mistakes I made with my US Geography....they use spatial data to ensure no mistake is ever made here.

1. Packers
  2. 49ers
  3. Patriots
  4. Ravens
  5. Steelers
  6. Saints
  7. Cowboys
  8. Texans
  9. Bears
  10. Bengals
  11. Falcons
  12. Lions
  13. Jets
  14. Raiders
  15. Giants
  16. Titans
  17. Eagles
  18. Broncos
  19. Bills
  20. Redskins
  21. Browns
  22. Bucs
  23. Chiefs
  24. Cardinals
  25. Chargers
  26. Seahawks
  27. Panthers
  28. Dolphins
  29. Jaguars
  30. Vikings
  31. Rams
  32. Colts

I did pretty good.....and hey I was right about the Saints winning too...ha ha

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82494e7e/article/lions-giants-plummeting-right-out-of-playoff-picture?module=HP11_cp
Can someone please tell me how the Raven's when was a "statement" game???

Really?

You get a team who had to travel cross country after playing a late game on Sunday to play the Raven's again at home on Thursday night? Statement game? No. If the Ravens had come to the Bay and beat the Niners under the same circumstances, that would have been a "statement" game.
Originally posted by NinerGM:

Really?

You get a team who had to travel cross country after playing a late game on Sunday to play the Raven's again at home on Thursday night? Statement game? No. If the Ravens had come to the Bay and beat the Niners under the same circumstances, that would have been a "statement" game.

really? it was a statement game and they won. Just like it would have been a statement game for us. Don't use the excuses of playing on Thursday. They are all men playing a game on primetime. It wasn't the Raven playing the Cards but an up and coming team looking to pick up steam. The Statement was " Slow Down fellas,let us give you a wake up call. For which they did.
really? it was a statement game and they won. Just like it would have been a statement game for us. Don't use the excuses of playing on Thursday. They are all men playing a game on primetime. It wasn't the Raven playing the Cards but an up and coming team looking to pick up steam. The Statement was " Slow Down fellas,let us give you a wake up call. For which they did.

So you're saying a visiting team beating a home team is the same as a home team beating a visitor traveling across country? Excuse? Really? Even Harbaugh said they got the short end of the stick there. It's now about "all men playing a game on primetime." If that's the case there would be no "favored" teams (home vs. away). It was a statement game? Hardly. A good game? Yes. Beating a quality opponent? Yes. A definitive statement about them saying to other teams in their division or even in the AFC "we are a juggernaut to be reckoned with"? I don't know about that. I think other power polls outside of ESPN reflect that (like NFL).

Really?

This was a non-statement game. As in, he who loses has enough excuses for an entire season of losses. This game was set up for NFLN and was a ridiculous imposition for ratings. Now, if the Ravens had beaten a team like Green Bay, that would have been a statement. And we all know that the 9ers can't possibly win an important game or even have a winning season with Smith at QB.

Seriously, statement games are surprises that demonstrate mastery over a worthy opponent. The Ravens game could have easily gone the other way if the 9ers had avoided a couple penalties...especially the one that did not impact the success of the TD play. The 9ers had several statement games--TB, Eagles, and Detroit were all very good games that took a step toward credibility. The Ravens already had credibility from past success and the 9ers game was just a good win against a similar team.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Really?

This was a non-statement game. As in, he who loses has enough excuses for an entire season of losses. This game was set up for NFLN and was a ridiculous imposition for ratings. Now, if the Ravens had beaten a team like Green Bay, that would have been a statement. And we all know that the 9ers can't possibly win an important game or even have a winning season with Smith at QB.

Seriously, statement games are surprises that demonstrate mastery over a worthy opponent. The Ravens game could have easily gone the other way if the 9ers had avoided a couple penalties...especially the one that did not impact the success of the TD play. The 9ers had several statement games--TB, Eagles, and Detroit were all very good games that took a step toward credibility. The Ravens already had credibility from past success and the 9ers game was just a good win against a similar team.

i think this was a statement for the ravens, but not in the sense that people are talking. i think the statement that Bal made was to themselves, more than to us, saying, "Holy crap, we can make the playoffs! we can right the ship after playing like crap against 3 of the worst teams in the NFL."

i mean after all, only the ravens were treating this like a playoff game - because they had too. if they lose, they fail to keep pace with Pit and are now fighting Cin for a W/C.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Hilarious how you guys take these so seriously.