LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 362 users in the forums

Media and the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The NFL website still has the 49ers at #2 after the loss to Baltimore. There's just way too many of these rankings spread across the internet. Even Grant Cohn thinks he's important enough to have one.
Originally posted by danimal:
Guys its simple. Here is how NFL, CBS, ESPN etc etc make their Power Rankings.
step 1: Order the teams by standings

step 2: rearrange teams grouped together with same record, rearrange based on geography, East is always better than West

step 3: Identify 3 teams who are underperforming based on Mainstream Experts picks at the beginning of the season. These are the teams who the networks devote most of their coverage to regardless of if they win or lose. These teams can vary year to year, but more often contain the same teams for many years in a row. The Dallas Cowboys must always be one of these teams.

step 4: Move up the 3 struggling mainstream favorite teams a few spots in the rankings

step 5: assign a unique ranking to each with no ties

step 6: write some sophmoric b******t next to each team

step 7: release it, believe it or not people are actually waiting for thisI am betting the Saints are going to win tonight.

Here is your new basic power ranking for week 13. Excuse me for any mistakes I made with my US Geography....they use spatial data to ensure no mistake is ever made here.

1. Packers
  2. 49ers
  3. Patriots
  4. Ravens
  5. Steelers
  6. Saints
  7. Cowboys
  8. Texans
  9. Bears
  10. Bengals
  11. Falcons
  12. Lions
  13. Jets
  14. Raiders
  15. Giants
  16. Titans
  17. Eagles
  18. Broncos
  19. Bills
  20. Redskins
  21. Browns
  22. Bucs
  23. Chiefs
  24. Cardinals
  25. Chargers
  26. Seahawks
  27. Panthers
  28. Dolphins
  29. Jaguars
  30. Vikings
  31. Rams
  32. Colts

I did pretty good.....and hey I was right about the Saints winning too...ha ha

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82494e7e/article/lions-giants-plummeting-right-out-of-playoff-picture?module=HP11_cp
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Can someone please tell me how the Raven's when was a "statement" game???

Really?

You get a team who had to travel cross country after playing a late game on Sunday to play the Raven's again at home on Thursday night? Statement game? No. If the Ravens had come to the Bay and beat the Niners under the same circumstances, that would have been a "statement" game.

really? it was a statement game and they won. Just like it would have been a statement game for us. Don't use the excuses of playing on Thursday. They are all men playing a game on primetime. It wasn't the Raven playing the Cards but an up and coming team looking to pick up steam. The Statement was " Slow Down fellas,let us give you a wake up call. For which they did.
Originally posted by SF4EVA:

Really?

You get a team who had to travel cross country after playing a late game on Sunday to play the Raven's again at home on Thursday night? Statement game? No. If the Ravens had come to the Bay and beat the Niners under the same circumstances, that would have been a "statement" game.

really? it was a statement game and they won. Just like it would have been a statement game for us. Don't use the excuses of playing on Thursday. They are all men playing a game on primetime. It wasn't the Raven playing the Cards but an up and coming team looking to pick up steam. The Statement was " Slow Down fellas,let us give you a wake up call. For which they did.

This was a non-statement game. As in, he who loses has enough excuses for an entire season of losses. This game was set up for NFLN and was a ridiculous imposition for ratings. Now, if the Ravens had beaten a team like Green Bay, that would have been a statement. And we all know that the 9ers can't possibly win an important game or even have a winning season with Smith at QB.

Seriously, statement games are surprises that demonstrate mastery over a worthy opponent. The Ravens game could have easily gone the other way if the 9ers had avoided a couple penalties...especially the one that did not impact the success of the TD play. The 9ers had several statement games--TB, Eagles, and Detroit were all very good games that took a step toward credibility. The Ravens already had credibility from past success and the 9ers game was just a good win against a similar team.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by SF4EVA:

Really?

This was a non-statement game. As in, he who loses has enough excuses for an entire season of losses. This game was set up for NFLN and was a ridiculous imposition for ratings. Now, if the Ravens had beaten a team like Green Bay, that would have been a statement. And we all know that the 9ers can't possibly win an important game or even have a winning season with Smith at QB.

Seriously, statement games are surprises that demonstrate mastery over a worthy opponent. The Ravens game could have easily gone the other way if the 9ers had avoided a couple penalties...especially the one that did not impact the success of the TD play. The 9ers had several statement games--TB, Eagles, and Detroit were all very good games that took a step toward credibility. The Ravens already had credibility from past success and the 9ers game was just a good win against a similar team.

i think this was a statement for the ravens, but not in the sense that people are talking. i think the statement that Bal made was to themselves, more than to us, saying, "Holy crap, we can make the playoffs! we can right the ship after playing like crap against 3 of the worst teams in the NFL."

i mean after all, only the ravens were treating this like a playoff game - because they had too. if they lose, they fail to keep pace with Pit and are now fighting Cin for a W/C.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Hilarious how you guys take these so seriously.
Originally posted by FL9er:
Hilarious how you guys take these so seriously.

We don't take it seriously. It is just another avenue to talk football and get pissed off if we don't feel we get the respect we think we deserve. That is all. In the end power rankings mean nothing.
lacanfora has us at #5 lol

gil brandt at #7
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Dec 6, 2011 at 1:57 PM ]
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
No frankly our D gets passed on by guys like Vick, dalton, romo imagine what. Bree's and Rogers will do. I'm not sold on our pass D and frankly we can't score enough to keep up with them in my opinion.

Its called believing man, they've proven a lot of folks wrong already.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Since there is so much of it, I figure lets start a thread about it.

Here are a couple things I just read on NFL.com

Link
"Move over, San Francisco -- Seattle will reign supreme in NFC West"
The Seattle Seahawks will win the NFC West. Their defense can be just as dangerous as the San Francisco 49ers' vaunted unit. The quarterback play can be better with Matt Flynn. San Francisco, meanwhile, must deal with a much tougher schedule and heightened expectations.

Pete Carroll's boys might not "Win Forever," but winning nine to 10 games is a doable goal. That should be enough to take the division."

Pre-Season Power Rankings
"Top Shelf: Green Bay Packers, New England Patriots,Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens

Next level: Houston Texans, Philadelphia Eagles, New York Giants, New Orleans Saints and
Kansas City Chiefs

Contenders: San Francisco 49ers, Atlanta Falcons, New York Jets, Detroit Lions, Chicago Bears, Dallas Cowboys, Cincinnati Bengals, Carolina Panthers and Seattle Seahawks"

So at the very best that would put our beloved 49ers 10th at best on their power rankings. Not that any of that s**t matters but it is still fun to share.

I kinda like it like this. Most think we were one year wonder. The guys in the locker room are different though. They seem to be totally focused on getting back to where they left off last year -- the NFCCG -- and be more successful this year.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jul 25, 2012 at 3:58 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Thats just the way we like it.
well, nothing new here.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Thats just the way we like it.

I dont know man. I think there is a lot more love than hate, right now. I actually worried that so many in the media seem to be jocking us.
Share 49ersWebzone