LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Media and the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by verb1der:
I don't understand some of you guys...when the media hypes us up you guys complain, when they doubt us you guys complain. Damned if they do, damned if they dont.

when do they ever hype us up. ok , after the super bowl was over they talked about how we were either the first or second best team in the nfl but do you recall when we were hyped up at all last year. constantly being written off, few gave us a chance to win in green bay because awesome aaron rodgers was back and then when we won, they ignored it, cam newton was flavor of the month so no credit there and you know how everyone was on seattles bandwagon. goes way back to alex smith when they said alex can not beat teams by himself,, they are saying the exact same thing now,, ck can not beat teams by himself. the names will change but they will always be the same. again i do not care what they media says, i was just taking part in the conversation and giving my two cents worth that ,, yes there is a huge bias against our team in many quarters. feel free to provide cover for the media but i stand by my opinion

IIRC, we were hyped up at the beginning of the 2012 season, ranked #1 in a lot of pre-season rankings, everyone was on our nuts, who had it better than us? Nobody. And yet people still complained that it was a jinx.

This season Prisco and Kawakami picked us to win the Superbowl, and people are complaining saying we're jinxed.

So we're jinxed when they pick us, and they're idiots when they don't. You know it wasn't too long ago when our team got no love at all unless it was Singletary pulling his pants down.

Sigh.
I don't understand some of you guys...when the media hypes us up you guys complain, when they doubt us you guys complain. Damned if they do, damned if they dont.

when do they ever hype us up. ok , after the super bowl was over they talked about how we were either the first or second best team in the nfl but do you recall when we were hyped up at all last year. constantly being written off, few gave us a chance to win in green bay because awesome aaron rodgers was back and then when we won, they ignored it, cam newton was flavor of the month so no credit there and you know how everyone was on seattles bandwagon. goes way back to alex smith when they said alex can not beat teams by himself,, they are saying the exact same thing now,, ck can not beat teams by himself. the names will change but they will always be the same. again i do not care what they media says, i was just taking part in the conversation and giving my two cents worth that ,, yes there is a huge bias against our team in many quarters. feel free to provide cover for the media but i stand by my opinion

IIRC, we were hyped up at the beginning of the 2012 season, ranked #1 in a lot of pre-season rankings, everyone was on our nuts, who had it better than us? Nobody. And yet people still complained that it was a jinx.

This season Prisco and Kawakami picked us to win the Superbowl, and people are complaining saying we're jinxed.

So we're jinxed when they pick us, and they're idiots when they don't. You know it wasn't too long ago when our team got no love at all unless it was Singletary pulling his pants down.

Sigh.

haha Letterman late night show mocked Singletary all the time
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Sigh.
i have bought into the us vs them mentality . i hate the media except for the hot women who set in the leg chair at fox news . the media loves to build you up but whats more they really love to tear you down.
If you're getting paid to comment on a team as an "analyst", at least get your stuff straight..do some homework above the cliff notes that you're handed before the cameras come on. Does anyone on NFLN realize that several of our defensive subs would probably be starters for other teams?

But that's the way things are whether it's ESPN or NFLN....You smile and say what you have to say in 20 seconds before the next topic.
We won't be as strong without Aldon and Navarro, I get it. But we're still one of the deeper teams in the league and I just don't see us going 9-7 or missing the playoffs altogether.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i also laugh at those who say we will suck because we lost our corners from last year. they really were not watching our team last year when silly stuff like that is said. i love the front office for blowing up that secondary sans reid
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Profootball talk had the Bears, Arizona, and Giants over us to the playoffs. I find it odd that missing Bowman and Aldon for 2/3rd of the season is going to ruin our season.

Meanwhile:
In Chicago- Cutler is your QB and is often injured, your defense is relying on aging stars to have one last good season. Not to mention Green Bay and Detriot can both put up points.

In Arizona- losing Dockett, Washington, and Dansby the Arizona defense will be even better than last year. Not to mention Carson Palmer being their QB who has had one halfway decent season in almost a decade and who is still prone to turnovers and an aging Fitzgerald the offense will be fine.

In NY- this is the funniest one Adam Synder who signed today is probably starting at guard, Eli looks completely lost in the new system and according to Wilerson of the Jets keeps his eyes on the pash rush and not on his WRs. Defense should be better but the Linebackers are relying on Jon Beason.

In SF- Kap has another year under his system his 2nd WR is Boldin not Moore, his 3rd WR is Stevie Johnson, not B. (don't kick to me) Williams. O Line is almost the same as last year with better depth. Defense still has 5 probowlers in Willis, Justin Smith (the most important person on the D-Line), Brooks, Reid, Bethea.
East Coast media hates us...they started the 6-8 game suspension (for Aldon) that spread like wild fire and are now the front runner stating on SC that Baalke WILL discipline McDonald. Spread it enough and Roger God will have no choice to follow suit. And ALL of the B.S. spins of the horrendous calls against us over the years...usually top 2 most traveled teams. I'm not sure why this is the case though...
Whoooo's got it better than us?!?!......EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Since 2011, I've abandoned ESPN and NFL Network for solely the Zone and CSN Bay Area, and I've been much happier because of it. I suggest you guys do the same if you're tired of hearing nothing but b******t all the time.

when do they ever hype us up.

How about being currently-ranked #4 in the power rankings on ESPN (despite all of the turmoil we've gone through this offseason)?

How about being predicted to make the Super Bowl by the the ESPN Power Panel (80+ national analysts)?

ok , after the super bowl was over they talked about how we were either the first or second best team in the nfl but do you recall when we were hyped up at all last year. constantly being written off, few gave us a chance to win in green bay because awesome aaron rodgers was back
Really? "Few?" Here were the predictions going into the game:

cam newton was flavor of the month so no credit there
Once again, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Here are ESPN's predictions headed into the game:

Even in the Seattle game, where we were deservedly underdogs, we still had analysts predicting us to win -- 35% of them (unthinkable, considering we had played like absolute garbage our last few games in Seattle and they are generally unstoppable at home):

f**k PFT. They are smoking crack with their predictions.
For s**ts and giggles, here is the 2012 playoffs too:

Divisional (50% SF, 50% Green Bay):

Championship (86% pick San Fran):

Super Bowl (71% pick San Fran):

(see my post on the previous page for ESPN's predictions from the 2013 playoffs)
[ Edited by theduke85 on Sep 3, 2014 at 1:07 PM ]
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Since 2011, I've abandoned ESPN and NFL Network for solely the Zone and CSN Bay Area, and I've been much happier because of it. I suggest you guys do the same if you're tired of hearing nothing but b******t all the time.

I hear ya. I also try to avoid. Stopped for a few minutes on nfl network. Stupid a$$ irvin took us out of playoffs for the cards. Yeah he's not bias at all. Lol. Can't stand to watch anymore. The Zone is it for me.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blunt_probe:

Yup...same here. I basically boycott ESPN. Only reason I watch is if they have a game on. Otherwise, I watch none of their programming. NFLN is crap and not worth my time either.

Most of my football coverage happens right here, and I'm pretty happy with it.
Originally posted by theduke85:

when do they ever hype us up.

How about being currently-ranked #4 in the power rankings on ESPN (despite all of the turmoil we've gone through this offseason)?

How about being predicted to make the Super Bowl by the the ESPN Power Panel (80+ national analysts)?

ok , after the super bowl was over they talked about how we were either the first or second best team in the nfl but do you recall when we were hyped up at all last year. constantly being written off, few gave us a chance to win in green bay because awesome aaron rodgers was back
Really? "Few?" Here were the predictions going into the game:

cam newton was flavor of the month so no credit there
Once again, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Here are ESPN's predictions headed into the game:

Even in the Seattle game, where we were deservedly underdogs, we still had analysts predicting us to win -- 35% of them (unthinkable, considering we had played like absolute garbage our last few games in Seattle and they are generally unstoppable at home):

I don't know if I could stomach another Super Bowl loss. Actually last year might have stung worse.
Share 49ersWebzone