LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Media and the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AUniner:
NFL.com has become near unreadable/watchable recently. Their "analysis" is based on what they found on already wiped toilet paper.

NFL.com use to have a higher standard than ESPN, Fox Sports, CBS Sports, Yahoo Sports, etc but the last year or two they have turned into TMZ like everyone else. Good writing doesn't get you clicks and get your name out there, gossip and TMZ writing does.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 1, 2014 at 12:55 AM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
NFL use to have a higher standard than ESPN, Fox Sports, CBS Sports, Yahoo Sports, etc but the last year or two they have turned into TMZ like everyone else. Good writing doesn't get you clicks and get your name out there, gossip and TMZ writing does.

NFLN has really fallen off a cliff. Their weekly AFC/NFC playbook is still pretty good., but they might be the worst of the bunch when it comes to commentary from their "analysts". Deion Sanders, Heath Evans, Jamie Dukes, Michael Irvin, Warren Sapp...it's just too much madness on one network.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
NFLN has really fallen off a cliff. Their weekly AFC/NFC playbook is still pretty good., but they might be the worst of the bunch when it comes to commentary from their "analysts". Deion Sanders, Heath Evans, Jamie Dukes, Michael Irvin, Warren Sapp...it's just too much madness on one network.

I meant NFL.com but yeah NFLN as well. When it first started I could watch it all day because Terrell Davis, Eisen, Rod Woodson, etc told it like it was and the station wasn't try to make everything overly dramatic like now. It was more about football than drama. There is a reason why they keep guys like Sanders, Evans, Dukes, Irvin, Sapp... it's because they are controversial big mouths who are full of drama. The NFL is all about drama now, it's about the casual fan. They don't care about the die hards anymore. Anyways, back to NFLN now I can't watch it for 5 minutes. It's full of big mouths all talking over each other who spend more time on makeup than they do watching film.
NFL.com use to have a higher standard than ESPN, Fox Sports, CBS Sports, Yahoo Sports, etc but the last year or two they have turned into TMZ like everyone else. Good writing doesn't get you clicks and get your name out there, gossip and TMZ writing does.

Apparently you never tuned in to NFLN when the Favre circus was going on, Tebow, etc. They are no different. Sports is entertainment, it will be covered the same.

edit: i noticed you wrote nfl.com...but my point still stands
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Sep 1, 2014 at 1:32 AM ]
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Apparently you never tuned in to NFLN when the Favre circus was going on, Tebow, etc. They are no different. Sports is entertainment, it will be covered the same.

edit: i noticed you wrote nfl.com...but my point still stands

Yeah NFL.com only went that way the last year or two. NFLN has been like that maybe 5 years now, maybe a little less. I had directv/sunday ticket from 05-through 2010, i watched nfln probably from 05 to 07 or 08 all the time, then stopped watching it even when I had it because I just got sick of that Farve, Tebow, Sam, Manziel stuff. I use to watch ESPN news all the time for like 5 years as well but just got sick of them talking about the same few teams and forgetting about the rest of them. The 9ers games would get 1 or 2 highlights and then the Patriots would have 10... then again maybe we weren't worth talking about. That's one thing I find funny though, NBC SNF, ESPN, NFLN none of them could care less about us in are dark years. We had like 1 SNF game in 7 years then all of a sudden they want us on 2 -3 times a year, NFLN 2 times, ESPN 2 times, they can't stop talking about us now but they acted like we werent a team in the dark ages.

So yeah I wanted prime time games but I guess I didn't mind them not talking about us. I'd rather get no coverage then what it is like now where they cant shut up about us. Making things up, blowing things out of proportion, etc... I'd rather get no coverage but maybe if our guys stopped putting themselves in bad situations. Makes me miss the 2011 team... our egos got big these past 3 years and now we cant stay out of the news or stay out of trouble. We have to realize we are much bigger in the media and more people want a piece of you so you really have to watch yourselves. Always someone ready to take advantage of you or waiting for you to say something dumb (cough culliver). We use to be low key but Smith, Kap, McDonald, Brooks, Harbaugh (commercials/on field behavior), Culliver changed that. Sorry that's my rant.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 1, 2014 at 2:47 AM ]
Originally posted by lazy:
Skip Bayless ‏@RealSkipBayless 8m
PROGRAM ALERT: Stephen A and I will be on tomorrow, Labor Day, from 10-12E, ESPN2. So much to talk about - MSam to 49er issues. Join us!

Ya I don't think I'm going to watch tomorrow.lol

I did watch it. ESPN is all over the collapse of the 49ers. Keep underestimating us. Idiots. The Niners will be better than what all these dopes are predicting.
NFL use to have a higher standard than ESPN, Fox Sports, CBS Sports, Yahoo Sports, etc but the last year or two they have turned into TMZ like everyone else. Good writing doesn't get you clicks and get your name out there, gossip and TMZ writing does.

I heard Heath Evans (who's horrible at his job) say he predicted the 49ers to finish 3rd in the NFCW before all the injuries and suspensions. He's such an idiot.
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:

I heard Heath Evans (who's horrible at his job) say he predicted the 49ers to finish 3rd in the NFCW before all the injuries and suspensions. He's such an idiot.

Wishful thinking
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
I did watch it. ESPN is all over the collapse of the 49ers. Keep underestimating us. Idiots. The Niners will be better than what all these dopes are predicting.

Personally I think its awesome.. I dont watch or read any of it but this team plays its best when people do nothing but trash them. Anytime we get rated #1 we lose, and then we "fall off" like we did when Smith was out last year .
Just saw this on ESPN's website (stumbled upon it, certainly didn't go there on purpose):

Our ESPN Power Panel, comprised of more than 80 people, has predicted the 2014 division winners, wild cards, individual award winners, conference champions and Super Bowl titlist.

The link to the was titled, "Is Seattle still heavy favorites?"

Seattle is picked to win the division, but San Francisco is predicted to take a Wild Card and appear in the Super Bowl (although ultimately they predict a loss to Denver).

I don't see this posted here, probably because it doesn't fit the "the media hates us" narrative that some of you swear exists.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=11318059
[ Edited by theduke85 on Sep 1, 2014 at 4:55 PM ]

We are 4th in the league in ESPN's latest power ranking. 4th out of 32. A top 4 team in the power rankings, and a predicted Super Bowl berth. The media hates us.
[ Edited by theduke85 on Sep 2, 2014 at 2:40 PM ]
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Once you realize that these idiots are all there just to create controversy and stir stuff up it becomes a bit easier to ignore. You can really thank ESPN for most of it in sports, because I think they started the revolution with First Take, Around The Horn, and that one show with Tony Kornheiser and Mike Wilbon I think is his name. When those shows started becoming super popular it really changed the sports landscape 5-10 years ago.

Honestly, this is where most networks are online media are headed. You see the same garbage with CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, etc.. Stuff used to be 90% reporting facts, and 10% opinion. Now it's 10% facts as the story's framework, and 90% opinion/devils advocate/controversy, because that's what gets the views.
Originally posted by Disp:
Once you realize that these idiots are all there just to create controversy and stir stuff up it becomes a bit easier to ignore. You can really thank ESPN for most of it in sports, because I think they started the revolution with First Take, Around The Horn, and that one show with Tony Kornheiser and Mike Wilbon I think is his name. When those shows started becoming super popular it really changed the sports landscape 5-10 years ago.

Honestly, this is where most networks are online media are headed. You see the same garbage with CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, etc.. Stuff used to be 90% reporting facts, and 10% opinion. Now it's 10% facts as the story's framework, and 90% opinion/devils advocate/controversy, because that's what gets the views.
Yes, you're completely right.

What frustrates me about it is the fact that everything you said is painfully obvious, and yet every. ****ing. day. on messages boards I go to, people are complaining about what these hacks are saying about their beloved team.

"Oh my god. Mike Florio just said Harbaugh is leaving. That guy is such a jerk. Here, check out for the article yourself [follow the link and give him more hits/attention]."
"You would not believe what Skip Bayless said this morning. He had the nerve to say that the 49ers are going to miss the playoffs this year because of all of the distractions. "
"Steven A. Smith just said Baalke has no ethics or morals. All we do is bring in talented players with questionable character, and now he says its biting us in the ass."

If these guys bother you all so much, why do you keep going to their websites? Why do you keep watching ESPN? (Hint: If you're watching ESPN for any reason other than live sports, you're wasting your time.) It's like reading a gossip magazine. You're not going to get thoughtful analysis, you're going to going to see controversial pot-stirring that's intended to get a rise out of you. You're going to see the same issues (Micheal Sam, Tim Tebow, Tiger Woods, etc) beat to death over and over again. (By the way, what I find funniest of all is that every fan of every team is convinced that Mike Florio irrationally hates their team the most.) It's like people keep mindlessly tuning into this nonsense because they get some sort of twisted, masochistic pleasure from being offended by it.

I think this is why I've come to appreciate and depend on message boards so much. There are so many intelligent people on sites like this that want to put the b******t aside and have meaningful discussions. Anyway, to anyone that is still offended by crap that these national writers/reporters say: wake up and smell the coffee. They're deliberately trying to piss you off.
Originally posted by theduke85:
We are 4th in the league in ESPN's latest power ranking. 4th out of 32. A top 4 team in the power rankings, and a predicted Super Bowl berth. The media hates us.

At the same time Michael.Irvin on NFLN just said Niners aren't making the playoffs. So I can see why some fans feel like that.
[ Edited by E-49er on Sep 2, 2014 at 6:21 PM ]
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by theduke85:

At the same time Michael.Irvin on NFLN just said Niners aren't making the playoffs. So I can see why some fans feel like that.

First Take on ESPN basically said our season is done, no chance in hell to do anything this year. All I could do is laugh.
Share 49ersWebzone