LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 210 users in the forums

Media and the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Wilson is partially the reason im hoping for a blitzing safety, smaller bodies cb/s can change direction quicker then big ones LB/DL

I think we also might see some of Bowman and Willis hesitating and then shooting inside gaps that open up as the pass protection develops. That's what the Steelers used to do to Tarkenton and both our ILB's are incredibly fast and quick.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I think we also might see some of Bowman and Willis hesitating and then shooting inside gaps that open up as the pass protection develops. That's what the Steelers used to do to Tarkenton and both our ILB's are incredibly fast and quick.

I think to a certain extent that will depend on how well our safeties handle coverage.
Originally posted by hawker84:
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
I think Gnielsen other point was is teams weren't prepared for Wilson last year, since it will be a year later teams have more time to study tape. With more time to study tape, teams might be able to keep him in the pocket, by keeping him in the pocket it forces Wilson to have to see over his own linemen, on top of having see over defensive linemen. However its one thing to study and prepare for it, its another thing to stop him on the field, we shall see
yep, this has been brought up before, but only problem with this strategy is, his numbers were much better in the pocket that outside the pocket accross the board.
To small of a number to call that successful, like posters have said before, need to see more.
when did this become the russell wilson thread? *__*
Originally posted by BayArea:
Not from the pocket he didn't.

uh ya he did... . need me to post his numbers inside and outside the pocket.? they're much better inside the pocket....
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
To small of a number to call that successful, like posters have said before, need to see more.

too small a number? he's only played one season, it's all the numbers he has... i'm not saying career wise he'll be better from the pocket, i'm just saying last season he was much better from the pocket...
Originally posted by VANiner:
Well, first of all, height is a tangible element to a QB that can be measured...hence, the word tangible. Second, it might be a little early to start comparing Wilson to Brees or Tarkenton. One great year as a rookie that no one was expecting is one thing. I certainly wouldn't start the Kap comparisons to Montana or Young just yet. All that said, Wilson's one aspect that potentially gives him the ability to overcome the height issue and inevitable scheming that will take place as teams get more tape on him is his amazing scrambling ability in and out of the pocket. I have to say, I have never seen someone be able to scramble that well and still maintain a semblance of where his receivers were down field. That is the intangible that sets Wilson apart. If he regressed in that one area alone, he would have a very tough time behind center.
comparing him to bree's or tarkington isn't saying he'll have the same career as them.. it's comparing his playing style to theirs... wilson has to use passing lanes and rely on a strong accurate arm due to his height like drew bree's.. at times he has to scramble and buy time/extend plays , well nobody did it better than fran tarkington, so there is another comparison.. that's all i'm saying.. haven't quite put him in the hall of fame just yet...
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

::::::::: But with them having a much tougher schedule this coming season (while we have an easier schedule) I think they regress::::::

All we can base this coming season's SoS on is last season's results (and obviously things can change from year-to-year) but, according to that, it doesn't appear that the Hawks have the tougher schedule...

Niners SoS
home = .602
road = ..430

Hawks SoS
home = .430
road = .586
Originally posted by LisaTwelve:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

::::::::: But with them having a much tougher schedule this coming season (while we have an easier schedule) I think they regress::::::

All we can base this coming season's SoS on is last season's results (and obviously things can change from year-to-year) but, according to that, it doesn't appear that the Hawks have the tougher schedule...

Niners SoS
home = .602
road = ..430

Hawks SoS
home = .430
road = .586

True.
And really, you never know the strength until the season is over.
Some teams that look tough could end up being push-overs. Doormats could surprise a team here-and-there.
Strength of schedule for 2013 really doesn't much at this point.
grant claims it is a 4-3 under, and has been in a weeks long debate on his blog with others who claim it is a 3-4

They're both wrong.

We run the 46 defense.
isnt it more of a nickel? teams like to spread us out for the most part so we rarely ever have our base 3-4 defense on the field
Not much difference between a 4-3 under and 3-4. In a 4-3 under, one of the OLB's has his hand in the dirt while the other one stands up. That's it.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
f**k grant cohn
It's a 3-4 base with a few in between 'looks'. Bringing Aldon up on the line like he's going to rush or/then drops back in coverage. Or on sure passing downs to counter a prolific passing offense, Fangio would take out Willis, rush 4 with Aldon. Bowman pass coverage and Brooks on the TE side (sometimes Brooks would pass rush instead), plus 5 DBs. A 4-2-5. Sometimes even a 4-1-6 but rare.

I've heard announcer like Collinsworth made the mistake of saying we only rush 3 a lot of times in the Lions game last year. It only happened once. When Justin Smith started to pass rush but decided to drop back, making it look like we only rush 3. He probably thought it might be a screen.
Share 49ersWebzone