There are 70 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Media and the 49ers

Originally posted by 9erReign:
Lol on the Jags. What has he done against good defenses?

You mean like the #1 ranked Texas d?
I'd give the WR's a D+ as a group. Its basically one "A-" and a bunch of "F's".

Kap gets an A for Green Bay and F's for Seattle & Indy. The rest are somewhere in between, so B+ might be a little high but its hardly worth fighting over.
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper:
Originally posted by theduke85:
They're not really "ESPN" grades so much as they are Bill Williamson's grades, who is our dedicated 49ers blog writer (all 32 teams have their own writer on the team ESPN blogs). If you keep up with the blog, you'll see he's generally a little biased / optimistic with his slants. Like, for example.... Kaepernik a B+? I think that's a bit generous.

Generous? Kaepernick should get in A. He's been throwing over 60% completion and getting a massive amount of yards per attempt. On top of that he is been doing damage with his legs. He managed to score against the Jags four touchdowns on the four first drives. How can you not give him an A?

Lol on the Jags. What has he done against good defenses?

You mean vs HOU ARI STL?
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I would give the WR a D as well.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
As for QB, that is a little high. His passing yards are the lowest in the NFL. His running is a nice addition, but to be a top 10 QB in the league (which is what I would consider a B+ grade), you need to be carrying the team more via the passing offense.
Why do you need to carry the team if it doesn't need to be carried? A QB should be judged on if he's doing what needs to be done to win.
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
I actually think those grades are pretty damn fair.

Fair? They POSITIVELY GLOW. And this worries me. We're no longer "under the radar" so to speak. Whenever the national media starts throwing kisses in our direction, Freddy P. Soft makes an appearance in the locker room.

It's hard, gut-wrenching, sacrificial work that got them into this position. I just hope they can keep it up.
billbird, they will keep it up man, this team is focused and over the top talented. They have also solved the problem of not passing far enough so teams can't stack the box anymore. On defense they are in the zone and Rogers is quietly shutting down the best receiver we face each week. And the league has quickly learned to not go where Reid is because somebody might get hurt, nobody wants to catch it where he is. Not to go there, but Lott was like that. Other teams players were noted for saying if Lott got a clean shot you felt it clear into next season.

And we are beating people up with our run offense.

And now Dixon is going to be taking some kicks. You run into that sucker it hurts. And he doesn't drop the ball. And he wants the ball. And he is fast. And he hurts when you hit him. No more puny Williams. Gunners are not going to like running into Dixon.

Took a few games for them to find their identity. Seattle is in deep, deep doo doo right now and they know it.
[ Edited by 49erWay on Nov 6, 2013 at 10:16 AM ]
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Very fair and reasonable takes.

This

That.

Nothing I can argue with. I'm especially enjoying that they noticed the stellar play of our secondary.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Fair? They POSITIVELY GLOW. And this worries me. We're no longer "under the radar" so to speak. Whenever the national media starts throwing kisses in our direction, Freddy P. Soft makes an appearance in the locker room.

It's hard, gut-wrenching, sacrificial work that got them into this position. I just hope they can keep it up.

That definitely seemed to be a problem last year but with the 49ers trailing Seattle in the division, I don't think it is going to a problem at least for the next month while the 49ers wade their way through the Carolina, Saints, Washington and Seattle games. If they win those 4 games, are 10-2 riding a 9 game winning streak and in control of the NFC West, the national media will be calling them the team to beat from the NFC, at a minimum.
Originally posted by fryet:
As for QB, that is a little high. His passing yards are the lowest in the NFL. His running is a nice addition, but to be a top 10 QB in the league (which is what I would consider a B+ grade), you need to be carrying the team more via the passing offense.

He also has the fewest pass attempts in the league. He threw like 16 passes in our last game. Not his fault that Gore is a beast. The coaching staff knows they have nothing outside of Boldin and VD. IF we had any other weapons, we'd likely throw more often. Look for his numbers to rise as Manningham and Crabs return.
This is on point.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
I actually think those grades are pretty damn fair.

They haven't been "under the radar" since the mid point of 2011.
Originally posted by Empire49:
They haven't been "under the radar" since the mid point of 2011.

This. Everyone sees the Niners coming. Everyone. Even if they aren't the media darlings like how they were during Weeks 1-2 of 2012 or after the Jets and Bills sacrifices of last season, this team is never truly under the radar.
Originally posted by 49erWay:
billbird, they will keep it up man, this team is focused and over the top talented. They have also solved the problem of not passing far enough so teams can't stack the box anymore. On defense they are in the zone and Rogers is quietly shutting down the best receiver we face each week. And the league has quickly learned to not go where Reid is because somebody might get hurt, nobody wants to catch it where he is. Not to go there, but Lott was like that. Other teams players were noted for saying if Lott got a clean shot you felt it clear into next season.

And we are beating people up with our run offense.

And now Dixon is going to be taking some kicks. You run into that sucker it hurts. And he doesn't drop the ball. And he wants the ball. And he is fast. And he hurts when you hit him. No more puny Williams. Gunners are not going to like running into Dixon.

Took a few games for them to find their identity. Seattle is in deep, deep doo doo right now and they know it.

I like your points. And I agree with you about Dixon. I was positively shocked when I watched him return one of those kickoffs against Jacksonville, and wondering why we don't use more of him in that role? Gunners just bounced off the guy like rag dolls.

I will feel much better about this team when we start getting a receiving compliment to take the pressure off Boldin and Vernon. I'm not sure if Manningham will be that guy or if it will be Crabs. I know that Kaep and Crabs really had something nice going last year. But I also know that Crabs isn't going to step into the lineup and just light it up. That's just too much to ask for -- especially coming off a serious Achilles injury.

I've partially torn the Achilles in both of my feet. It wasn't bad enough for surgery. But it took months of rehab and physical therapy for the pain to finally subside.

I'm off topic here. I seriously think the 49ers can run the table and win the division. But it's going to take contributions from the players who are now coming back from injury or rehab (Aldon).