LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 220 users in the forums

Media and the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Holding call is subjective as f**k. Really inconsistent.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
OK - King is wrong:On p. 63 of the rule book, its says that holding will not be called 'if the action is part of a double-team block in close line play', with the exception being that a hold can be called if the player goes to the ground.

correct me if I'm wrong, but is a kickoff return 'close line play'? NO!

As stated previously I am pretty sure the rule you are referencing is for regular downs and not kick returns. How could "close inline play" apply to men running down the field? Think about it.

This is the 3rd professional I have heard describe it that way. The likelyhood they are wrong and you right seems a bit far fetched, especially since as we have all seen the ref was starting right at the block aaaaaaand if you re-watch the play the Ravens players blocking Miller were clearly trying to hold him up off the ground. His feet come up off the ground several times.
[ Edited by WINiner on Feb 11, 2013 at 4:00 PM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:
Are we really still on this???

Yup, until the Niners win a sixth Super Bowl.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Who pointed out that it may not have been called because Miller was not taken to the ground? I don't recall anyone pointing that out here.

This has been posted:

Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira
On Jacoby Jones kick return there is no holding on a double team block unless the defender is taken to the ground. He wasn't.

I must have missed that post and the subsequent discussion. If that is how the rule is written, it is a lame rule in a league full of lame rules that few if anyone understand. The NFL makes too many rule changes.
They could lock this to make room for more Alex vs Colin threads.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Feb 11, 2013 at 4:13 PM ]
It doesnt matter how the rule is written the NFL will do what they want. I thought hands on an official was automatic ejection, look how that turned out.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by jrg:

John Harbaugh probably told his players that they aint gonna call s**t so just grab as much as possible.
Originally posted by susweel:

John Harbaugh probably told his players that they aint gonna call s**t so just grab as much as possible.

great strategy too. push the envelope, make them make a call, if they do then u can tone it down a notch. potentially big reward if it pays off for u
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by susweel:

great strategy too. push the envelope, make them make a call, if they do then u can tone it down a notch. potentially big reward if it pays off for u

This is the strategy a lot of teams are going with on both sides of the ball. As we've seen, the Seahawks DB's did it and the Falcons WR's push off to create space and the refs caught these type of infractions only a fraction of the time.

I think the Niners need to start doing this too. The refs will not call it every time so do it till they do. After that Super Bowl, more teams will adopt that same philosophy. The law of averages tells you you'd get away with it more times than not.

This is what happens when the NFL allows refs to pick and choose what calls to make, only to interpret no-calls as their way to claim that they're "letting them play". Every week in any random city with an NFL game, there will be a team that will feel like the 49ers did in the SB. Watching blatant sh*t go uncalled and getting the feeling like you're forced to eat it because this week, it's your turn.
[ Edited by 602_JamestownAve on Feb 11, 2013 at 9:44 PM ]
If Miller had just gone to the ground after not being able to make the tackle would they have called it?

Has anyone seen an explanation for no flag being thrown for holding on the safety play?

Its technically not a hold.

Its a gang rape. I don't think they have a rule for a gang bang.
IMO...

Packers 2010 Champions
Giants 2011 Champions
Ravens 2012 Champions* <----Asterisk
[ Edited by SFTifoso on Feb 11, 2013 at 11:09 PM ]
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130212/greg-roman-super-bowl-mailbag/?sct=uk_wr_a1

FYI
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
not a nice visual
Being a Sports Critique = Being a Garbage Man ... and Mr. "Dick Royal" takes the cake
Share 49ersWebzone