There are 89 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers in consideration for year-end awards

So far I think these guys are strong candidates for the following awards:

-Harbaugh, coach of the year (leading candidate to this day I believe)
-Baalke, executive of the year (strong draft + landing Harbaugh will go a long way)
-Aldon Smith, defensive rookie of the year (battling with Von Miller right now--edge always goes to better team)
-Alex Smith, comeback player of the year (does this apply to him? if so, he's an option. Plexico is too weak this year to be considered)
-Justin Smith, defensive player of the year (if our D continues at its pace, he'll deserve it, although Willis may steal the spotlight based on name recognition)
-Frank Gore, MVP (he's not likely to get it, but if he continues as he has the last 3 weeks he'll get a vote or 2)

Further, don't be surprised if Tomsula gets an offer somewhere as a D coordinator. Best D-line coach in football
I don't think Tomsula will want to leave
I can see the first 3 happening
Disagree with MVP unfortunately. Gore will never be in that category. There are players playing so much better than him. Across the bay, Darren McFadden is a much more viable option for MVP.

Agree with Justin Smith but that is a 9er homerism (and Jared Allen is having a HELL of a year).

Agree with Aldon Smith -- who the hell else is a defensive rookie doing well?

Harbaugh - without a DOUBT - especially after beating the other coach that is a front-runner for that honor.
[ Edited by chico49erfan on Oct 17, 2011 at 8:56 PM ]
Long snapper of the year
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Disagree with MVP unfortunately. Gore will never be in that category. There are players playing so much better than him. Across the bay, Darren McFadden is a much more viable option for MVP.

Agree with Justin Smith but that is a 9er homerism (and Jared Allen is having a HELL of a year).

Harbaugh - without a DOUBT - especially after beating the other coach that is a front-runner for that honor.

I think Karrigan for the redskins is having a great rookie year so far. But Aldon just started to get more snaps, so who knows.

Von miller doing well too
I think Stafford will get Comeback Player of the Year

j.smith could win over allen because of being on a better team.

aldon and miller are battling it out right now but aldon could very well be droy.

harbaugh HAS to win it. name another coach that could make a team that was 6-10, have a shortened offseason, and bringing them to 5-1!

could gore be a candidate for comeback player of the year? he was injured last year plus he didnt do so hot the first 3 games and now he is top 5 in rushing!
Harbaugh should deffinently get it if we play this way for the rest of the year, new coach with lockout go from what were we 6-10 last year? to possibly 10-6 or better, and even though we are in the weak NFC west we have 5 wins with only one coming from an NFC west opponent. So they cant just say we got in by sweeping our division and thats it.

Aldon, man what a beast. I hope he continues this and just keeps growing for the rest of the year, hes second to Lb's with sacks behind D.Ware. 5th in the league overall (unless the jets blew up some sacks tonight, didnt watch the game)
Jim Harbaugh - handshake of the year.
Harbaugh is a lock. Justin Smith is nasty and does a TON for our defense, but I have trouble seeing him getting DPOY consideration. It really depends on whether Aldon can keep up the pace on sacks. Him and Miller are in a tight race, so I wouldn't be shocked to see the award just go to who gets the most sacks.
Alex Smith Superbowl MVP.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
So far I think these guys are strong candidates for the following awards:

-Harbaugh, coach of the year (leading candidate to this day I believe)
-Baalke, executive of the year (strong draft + landing Harbaugh will go a long way)
-Aldon Smith, defensive rookie of the year (battling with Von Miller right now--edge always goes to better team)
-Alex Smith, comeback player of the year (does this apply to him? if so, he's an option. Plexico is too weak this year to be considered)
-Justin Smith, defensive player of the year (if our D continues at its pace, he'll deserve it, although Willis may steal the spotlight based on name recognition)
-Frank Gore, MVP (he's not likely to get it, but if he continues as he has the last 3 weeks he'll get a vote or 2)

Further, don't be surprised if Tomsula gets an offer somewhere as a D coordinator. Best D-line coach in football

Gore is probably the least likely to win out of these at the moment. More numbers like the last few weeks will increase the possibility, as will more wins. MVPs come from teams that win a lot of games.

Posted it earlier in another thread, but Dilfer suggested that Baalke should be considered for executive of the year.

Yes, I believe Alex can be considered for comeback player of the year.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
This Alex comeback player thing intrigues me.

Can you get that award if you're not injured? really don't know the answer.