LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

How does this compare to '81?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • jdean
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
With all due respect Wild Bill, it appears...to quote Walter Matthau in JFK....that you are "picking knat sh*t out of pepper").

If you read each of the points I made that you disagreed with, you will notice that I made a general statement which allows for enough room to include the points you made.

For example, I do think the '81 team had an aggressive defense, just in a different way than the current one. The young CBs in '81 played a lot of man coverage for example and that team blitzed a fair amount too.

I agree with you that Montana was more consistent in '81 than Smith has been this year but don't forget that '81 was his first full season as a starter in the NFL and his stats didn't jump out at anyone. He was "efficient", as I stated. Thus far, Smith has been "efficient" too.

Even though the Tampa team of '11 doesn't compare to the Dallas team of '81 (I also agree with you there), it still is regarded throughout the league as a "strong opponent"...

Both the '81 and '11 teams experienced success with creative game plans....I intentionally was no more specific than that because I recognize that the offensive approaches are different because of the players on the rosters. That '81 team had some good receivers (Clark, Solomon, Wilson) and few good RBs whereas the current team has Gore and Hunter and at least thus far, a pretty limited passing attack.

All of that being said, I appreciate you reading my initial long post and it proves you were around in '81 and were paying attention...

Cheers!

I may be picking at knat (what the hell is a knat or did you mean gnat?-hee hee, yes I'm picking again), but the post was "similarities" so just pointing at the gnat $hit.

Montana strung his efficiency together to make long drives more often. Where as Alex whether fair or not, has not. He has not turned the ball over, and his completion percentage is high, but Joe would string them in a way to make first downs and keep the drive going. Alex has had short fields because of ST and defense. Just being honest having been there, I don't think the defense would hold up back then if they had to play the way they did with this offense.

My other point is that Dallas was more like the Pats, Ravens and Packers, championship contenders while Tampa is just playoff contenders. Again gnat $hit, but meaningful gnat $hit .

I don't see the defense as agressive back in the day, just fundementally sound. They did

Are you saying that the 81 defense was not aggressive? I was just watching the 81 Americas game and db's were just flying around hitting people. If they had played in this era they would go broke with all the fines, including Eric wrights horse collar tackle on drew Pearson. I would love to have the 81 db's on this team.
Originally posted by BHulman:
I think both teams caught the fans by surprise. I know that in 81 the Niners beat the Cowboys by a bunch early on but I didn't fully believe until they beat the Steelers in the middle of the season. At that point (after years of disappointment) I really felt they were ready to do something special. I doubt I was predicting Super Bowl just then but I knew, for the first time in a very long time, they were good. This year the Niners beat Philly on the road, demolished Tampa at home but I did not fully believe until they beat Detriot in their place. At this point (after years of disappointment), I feel they are really ready to do something special. I'm not predicitng Super Bowl but, for the first time in a very long time, I know they are good.

That is so awesome about what you wrote and how you felt. It must be very special to see back and be able to recognize the similarities. It helps us younger (born in '80) diehards get a feel for the legacy of the Niners. Thankyou.
im pretty sure we can start using the word "special" to describe this season!!!
Different Era, different rules, different game really.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

No we cant. Only if your 20 or even 30 something do you have the right to use the word special when it comes to this season. Anyone older then that knows this season is not special YET!
Originally posted by 1stAndGoal49ers:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

No we cant. Only if your 20 or even 30 something do you have the right to use the word special when it comes to this season. Anyone older then that knows this season is not special YET!

well im 24 so ill use it.
  • carl
  • Veteran
The thing I'll say is back in 1981, Montana wasn't Montana yet. The thing I remember most about Joe was all the heroic 4th quarter come backs and games that we were able to finish. While Joe certainly proved to be an outstanding QB, he wasn't throwing the ball all over the place like a Peyton Manning or a Tom Brady. The 49ers would run the ball and play good defense. They didn't run up the score, it was a different game. There was a lot more contact with receivers down field.
Now, I'm certainly not going to say that Alex is in any way equivalent to Joe Montana. When Alex gets 4 rings I'll consider it. BUT, Joe didn't run up the score, what he did was come through at the end when we needed him to do it. Say what you will about Alex Smith and the last 7 years or however long it's been, but THIS SEASON, This Season Alex has had three come from behind 4th quarter run/pass drives that have won us the games. They've been hard fought, ugly do-anything wins. That's the sorta thing Joe would do. This season, that's the sorta thing Alex has done.

Now, it's been 6 games into a very long season. Lets see the 49ers win the division and maybe win a playoff game before we go and start saying it was a magical season. Until then, it's been a hell of a ride and I've had a lot of fun watching it.

I will say that a similarity to the 1981 season is the wealth of new talent from the draft and FA. The 49ers picked up a pass rusher in 1981 by FA and by the draft in 2011. We also have done a lot to improve the secondary this season. The 49ers had a great draft it appears. Just like the Packers did last year.

If we can keep our WR's healthy, maybe Alex can have some better statistics for all the haters out there. lol
The 49ers in the 80's finished games before the 1st quarter was ever over. Im not sure what history some of you are reading but as a 45 year old man who watched so many ho-hum games in his 20's , the 49ers were so good they were almost boring. Montana is know for his comebacks but more times then not he killed the other team before the second quarter even started. Im just saying.
The 49ers in the 80's finished games before the 1st quarter was ever over. Im not sure what history some of you are reading but as a 45 year old man who watched so many ho-hum games in his 20's , the 49ers were so good they were almost boring. Montana is know for his comebacks but more times then not he killed the other team before the second quarter even started. Im just saying.

Other than the Cowboy game, however, not so much in '81, which was Montana's first year as a starting QB...
Originally posted by nw9erfan:

Other than the Cowboy game, however, not so much in '81, which was Montana's first year as a starting QB...

True..I sorta forget we were talking about the 81 season. Sorry

There wasn't that many blowouts, let alone 1st quarter blowouts, in 81. In later years, yes. But there were a whole lot of close games in 81 which is the year the OP asked to be used to compare to this year.
Originally posted by dj43:
The 81 team did not have the talent of this team. It was more like the SF Giants of last season - a team of misfits that no one else wanted. Jack Reynolds was past his prime but a great teacher. Dan Audick was an emotionally disturbed guard playing OLT. Earl Cooper was a disappointment at RB but played well at TE. The secondary just jelled unbelievably quickly. Montana was not yet the HOF QB but played just well enough to get the wins in some close games. I could go on but the current teams has more overall talent, especially in the front 7 on defense and at RB.

To me, the greatest similarity is in the fact the '81 team snuck up on a lot of teams and so has the current team...so far.

If you did a poll I think most of us at the beginning of the 81 season thought the team could go any where from 6-10 to 8-8 similiar to the 11 team. I remember losing our first 2 games going here we go again. Having what felt like more Cowboy fans at the 81 regular season game than Niner fans and enjoying that win tremendously. Seeing Candlestick go from half empty and no energy to sell outs and lot of energy
Both teams have sneaked up on the NFL and NFL fans. In addition what both teams show is the importance of solid coaching. Walsh took retreads and rookies and turned them into a SB champions. Harbaugh had a lot of talent in the cupboard it was just a matter of using that talent properly.
By Victor Contreras
[email protected]
Published: Monday, Oct. 24, 2011 - 12:00 am | Page 1C
Last Modified: Monday, Oct. 24, 2011 - 6:40 am

For 49ers, season feels much like 1981

The 49ers entered 1981 coming off a 6-10 season during which they missed the playoffs for the eighth consecutive time.

Thirty years later, the 49ers entered 2011 coming off a 6-10 season and missing the playoffs for the eighth consecutive time.

Bill Walsh, an offensive-minded coach from Stanford, was entering his third season. He was hired by Eddie DeBartolo, a young owner from Youngstown, Ohio.

Jim Harbaugh, an offensive-minded coach from Stanford, was hired by Jed York, Eddie's nephew from Youngstown.

The 49ers opened the 1981 season 3-2, their best start in years, and the Bay Area was buzzing.

The 49ers opened this season 4-1, their best start in years, and were the toast of Northern California.

In Week 6 of 1981, the 49ers were underdogs against Dallas, an NFC powerhouse.

In Week 6 this season, the 49ers were underdogs against undefeated Detroit.

On Oct. 11, 1981, the 49ers crushed the Cowboys 45-14, en route to an improbable Super Bowl title.

This season's 49ers rallied to beat the Lions 25-19 on Oct. 16, en route to …

It's sure getting interesting, isn't it?

Longtime fans remember what an incredible ride it was for the 49ers to win the Super Bowl to conclude the 1981 season.

So why can't the 49ers celebrate the 30-year anniversary of that season with another championship?

One big reason is that Alex Smith is not Joe Montana. Plus, it's tougher to survive an NFL season compared to years ago.

The 49ers went 13-3 in 1981, their only other loss coming against visiting Cleveland.

The 49ers' next opponent this season? The Browns on Sunday at Candlestick Park.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/10/24/4001596/leading-off-for-49ers-this-season.html#ixzz1bfMSRJg0

This team is more advanced than the team of 1981. The 49ers of 1981 did not have anything close to the running game that this years team has. Of course, they had Montana with a system, not seen before. This year's team has a much more simplistic offense than the "81" team thus far, primarily due to the lockout.
I believe Balke has made tremendous moves in the last 2 years. We currently have 9 picks from those last 2 years that are integral to our success this year. I believe we are young and built for now and the future. Once our quarterback situation gets to where it needs to be, we will be a dynasty once again.
wasnt born yet, lol

I dont know that feel bro
why do they keep referring to 1981?
[ Edited by stunder49 on Oct 24, 2011 at 9:08 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone