There are 253 users in the forums

How does this compare to '81?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
Beating Dallas was huge, but the win in Pittsburgh was bigger. They were the Steelers. It was a road game and we just came out and smacked them around the field.

Really? A regular season game was bigger than the NFC title game and putting the Niners into the SuperBowl for the first time?

I think he means regular season. He's right. It was a bigger win. The Steelers were fresh off four SB wins. They were getting long in the tooth, but still very dominant.

This trip down memory lane has been fantastic (even though I did screw up the Summerall-Madden call)
Dtg, you reminded me of a point i forget often. This team had not "team" in it. The shortened season favored the favorite, established teams, (Pitts, GB, Pats, Saints), and was a real disadvantage for the teams that were not set...and we surely were not. In view of that, JH's work is even more incredible.
Originally posted by IWasWrongRubber:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
Beating Dallas was huge, but the win in Pittsburgh was bigger. They were the Steelers. It was a road game and we just came out and smacked them around the field.

Really? A regular season game was bigger than the NFC title game and putting the Niners into the SuperBowl for the first time?

I think he means regular season. He's right. It was a bigger win. The Steelers were fresh off four SB wins. They were getting long in the tooth, but still very dominant.

This trip down memory lane has been fantastic (even though I did screw up the Summerall-Madden call)

This.

It'd be like if this year's Niners went into new england and spanked the pats on ESPN in front of the whole country. such games can be catalysts that propel a season and ignites the "magic". the nfc title game, for all its uncertainty and memorable ending, would not have been reached if the team's (and bill walsh's) confidence has been shattered in pittsburgh
the turning point this year was the Philly game IMO
I dont remember internet message boards, youtube, blogs back in '81. Seemed like the league didnt know who the 49ers were until the Super Bowl game
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Dtg, you reminded me of a point i forget often. This team had not "team" in it. The shortened season favored the favorite, established teams, (Pitts, GB, Pats, Saints), and was a real disadvantage for the teams that were not set...and we surely were not. In view of that, JH's work is even more incredible.

Agreed. Clearly, there's more talent on this current team than Walsh had when he took over in '78.

But to see JH engineer such a dominant turnaround and do it so quickly, let me be the first to say that I'm shocked beyond belief. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever believe something like this could happen. Short and sweet: I've never seen anything like this before. Not under Bill Walsh. Not under anyone.
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
I dont remember internet message boards, youtube, blogs back in '81. Seemed like the league didnt know who the 49ers were until the Super Bowl game

Nope. Media back in the day was the early, early, early edition of the SF Chronicle, delivered to the campus of Fresno State University. The Sporting Green was always 15-20 pages long. The Chron, at one point, dedicated four to five writers and columnists to the team. There were multiple stories, multiple breakdowns.

That cost you 35 cents. I got a doughnut, some milk and relaxed with the Chron for an hour on Monday mornings between classes.

HBO's "Inside the NFL" and Lenny Dawson was an early fan of what was going on with Walsh and the Niners (actually started touting them in 80) and he and the show gave the Niners a lot of attention in 81. Because there were so few outlets then that show was a pretty big deal.

Nope. Media back in the day was the early, early, early edition of the SF Chronicle, delivered to the campus of Fresno State University. The Sporting Green was always 15-20 pages long. The Chron, at one point, dedicated four to five writers and columnists to the team. There were multiple stories, multiple breakdowns.

That cost you 35 cents. I got a doughnut, some milk and relaxed with the Chron for an hour on Monday mornings between classes.

I was a lucky 8th grader and went to every game that year, including the Catch. The team actually started with two losses in the first three weeks, I believe. The route against Dallas in the regular season was a real eye opener and avenged some bitter playoff losses to the Cowboys in the 70s. The score was comparable to the recent win against Tampa, but Dallas was the top team in the NFC up until that point, so it was a much more remarkable upset than Tampa. Dallas chalked it up to a fluke, but as Eddie said at the time, "They ate it once. They can eat it again." (And we obsess about Harbaugh's etiquette?) They did eat it again in a game for the ages. I would also agree that, from a fan's perspective, the Steeler win was a big confidence builder. I would put that one on par with this Lions win. The Steelers were over the hill, and we knew it, but there was still a hell of a lot of mystique in going into their house where so many Lombardi Trophies were won and pulling out the "W". Another big win that year came against the Redskins, who were probably second tier in the NFC after the Cowboys. We beat their ass pretty good at RFK Statdium and by that point the Niners were getting a lot of national notice.

The Niners offense was good in '80. We always moved the ball and scored points. What changed things was the draft of Lott, Wright, Williamson to shore up the defensive backfied and the acquisition of Hacksaw Reynolds and Fred Dean through trades. The personnel on D was totally upgraded and it made all the difference. This year is a little more perplexing because we really haven't had a huge influx of new talent.Carlos Rogers is a gamer. Aldon Smith is playing well. I have high hopes for a healthy Braylon Edwards. But most of this turnaround is on the backs of our "home grown" talent. You really have to tip your hat to Harbaugh and his staff. Smith is helping win games rather than lose them. If he can keep it up, we've got a shot. Confidence snowballs. It certainly did in '81.

Go Niners!

• Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by 190836:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by 190836:
Lets not compare Alex Smith to Montana please.

Umm...no one did Lowell.
Read the posts kid!
Please see my profile, while you might have some years on me, I am by no measure a kid anymore. I reread the earlier posts and didn't see anyone saying Smith is comparable to Montana. Only that Smith needs to play a little better if we want to make it to the promised land. To me the Smith Montana comparisons end at starting qb for the Niners.
Sorry bro, didn't mean to be rude. I apologize if I offended you. But calling me Lowell wasn't very nice of you. You should read my profile too, if I have one.
The 81 team and the subsequent teams won several SBs. for us to start comparing teams is a bit premature at this stage. Plus my comment wasn't directed at you.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

Oh, and how could I forget the George Michael Sports Machine. Terrible of me. It was must-see TV for 49er fans in the eighties.

Oh, and how could I forget the George Michael Sports Machine. Terrible of me. It was must-see TV for 49er fans in the eighties.

you'd better specify which George Michael for these kids!

At least the Sporting Green is green again. They took a long hiatus, but last time I visited my folks they had revived the green sheet and the pink section on Sundays. I tried to steer my Dad to 49erswebzone if only to get all of the writers in one location, but he's a creature of habit. He had tickets back at Kezar!
I'll say this and then I'll shut up. For the Niners to win the Super Bowl, Alex needs to take it up another notch. He's made remarkable strides this year and is playing good ball under Harbaugh. Love to see a good kid have hard earned success. Still, the playoffs will be another level and he's got to get to the point where he's more than good or competent by the end of the year. He has to be a dominant player and one of the reasons week-in and week-out that we win. We'll see. It would be such a great story if that light bulb flips on to full wattage.
Share 49ersWebzone