LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 235 users in the forums

Referees in Detroit game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by 9ers:
I re-watched the game last night and the way the ref "threw" penalty flag for the horse-collar was hilarious. Gore was tackled, the play was over for 5 seconds, and then the sideline judge/ref casually placed the yellow flag on the ground.

Yah I saw that as well he was way late in tossing that flag. Not sure but maybe just maybe the league wanted the Niners to win that game.
Originally posted by NCommand:
I agree but wasn't his safety the exact same thing? The only difference was that the QB was going laterally this time. It was still a tackle/wrap-up around the lower legs. If a defender is tripped up and falling down forward, to avoid a penalty, is he supposed to somehow slide to the right/left (like on a punt) and then sweep at his legs and hope he falls down? I certainly understand the purpose of the penalty, like a punter, they are exposed but the whole play needs to be kept in context and in this case, Aldon did not choose to tackle the QB low as the QB was stepping up.

The clarification specifically prohibits a defender on the ground who hasn't been blocked or fouled directly into the quarterback from lunging or diving at the quarterback's lower legs. On the play that was a penalty they are saying that Aldon was on the ground and wasn't blocked into Stafford. On the safety he was on his feet coming after Stafford which is legal. It's a highly subjective penalty to call when you have all of them bodies in the pocket.
IMO, the officiating was horrible for both sides. Perhaps the crowd noise intimidated them. But has anyone mentioned the unsportsmanlike against Ice for simply making a block and the Lion's helmet came off -- as it can during a play. The length of the game, about an extra quarter's worth, was on the refs for all their conferences.
Originally posted by susweel:
They gave us and extra five yards.

Yet, when the 49ers' offense took the field, the ball mysteriously was spotted at the 35. There was no penalty called on the play. (Thanks to Twitter follower @LRushing0718 for initially bringing this to my attention.)

The 49ers needed every yard they could get at that point in the game. It took them eight plays to go 35 yards for the go-ahead score, which came on Alex Smith's fourth-down pass for a 6-yard touchdown to Walker.

Read more: 49ers notes: Not a smooth day for refs in Detroit Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

I'd like to know if any one on the niners sideline recognized the error?. Not that I would, or they should of have, said any thing
[ Edited by highway49 on Oct 19, 2011 at 11:39 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone