There are 181 users in the forums

Referees in Detroit game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by VaNiner540:
Yea I rember that penalty..only Walker DID move. It's called a reciever going into motion. (Legal play for those that don't know)

Yeah, that was an absolute crap call. Unbelievable the refs refused to listen to logic. But then they didn't call it the rest of the game after their mistake was pointed out!

Anthony Davis -- he might be getting unfairly criticized. He is amazingly quick off the ball, similar to Ray McDonald. Shoot, since he practices against McDonald, maybe that is why he is so quick.

I watched the game closely on NFL Rewind. You have to watch Anthony Davis - he moves right on the ball movement. I think the refs aren't used to him moving so quick and assume it must be a false start.

Watch -- the ball will move, then Davis starts to kick, then the rest of the oline is a 1/2 beat behind Davis moving. So it looks like Davis moves early, but he is legal. The rule isn't that the snap of ball has to hit the QBs hand before the oline moves! Its that the ball has to start its motion
[ Edited by HearstFan on Oct 17, 2011 at 6:58 PM ]
Originally posted by KALI-KING:
How about Carlos Rogers pass interference on 4th down.

it was 4th and short...he read the play broke on the route and made a great play on the ball...that was one of the rare occations the refs got right...

This guy is worst. Always make plainly disadvantageous call to the Niners.
Originally posted by KALI-KING:
How about Carlos Rogers pass interference on 4th down.

he was going for the ball and had his hands outstretched toward the ball, so he was just competing for it. Plus, as an added incentive, it was within 5 yards so it would be legal to say that was a press coverage by carlos rogers. not the case but just pointing that out
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Seemed like detroit was screwed more so than us. Our penalties were stupid ones... Kicking the ball, False starts, encroachment, offsides, challenging a reviewed play, etc

you guys are reaching here

I disagree. It's not all about the calls that were made, its about the calls that weren't made. It looks alot like Detroit was offsides on numerous plays that were never called. IE, First offensive play of the game...
Originally posted by NinerDieHard:
Originally posted by 9ers:
The roughing the passer call on Alden Smith in the first quarter was a horrible call.

LIES that was actually a good call Aldon Smith CAN NOT go so low like that at a quarterback who's just sitting in the pocket no matter what, rookie mistake

I agree but wasn't his safety the exact same thing? The only difference was that the QB was going laterally this time. It was still a tackle/wrap-up around the lower legs. If a defender is tripped up and falling down forward, to avoid a penalty, is he supposed to somehow slide to the right/left (like on a punt) and then sweep at his legs and hope he falls down? I certainly understand the purpose of the penalty, like a punter, they are exposed but the whole play needs to be kept in context and in this case, Aldon did not choose to tackle the QB low as the QB was stepping up.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
i disagree, some of the false starts were a given, but there is almost some form of a false start on every play. And the refs sure were trying to call it on us. The refs really were trying to keep the Lions undefeated, it was b.s.

Lions should be embarassed for losing to a team, after they paid the refs to help them win the game.

stop
I thought the refs were just terrible, for both sides.
Originally posted by VaNiner540:
I'd have to disagree with this part. I think Detroit is more or less, "one-dimensional" on both sides of the ball. On offense they are always relying on big plays, usually dialing up Megatron. They can't pound the ball with the run, and Staffords accuracy (at least from what I seen) is average at best. He just throws it up and depends on C.J to bring it down. And considering the fact that C.J can't run routes very well, it makes it realistic to keep him out of the endzone if the D stays physical with him. Chris Culliver did a helluva job exploiting that. Don't get me wrong, C.J had a nice game....statistically. And most of his catches came when he was lined up against Tarrell Brown.But not a one of his plays was potential "game-changer" status. And as far as their D goes, they have a monster line and thats it. Linebackers are soft and their DBs arent amazing either. I was especially expecting a bigger game from Delmas, he went virtually unnoticed. But back to the D-line, I said they're monster cause, well, they are. But I noticed something yesterday..They don't like getting punched back!!!! Suh and Williams are used to being the bullies in the trenches so when an O-line comes in and starts bullying them around I think they get frustrated. This was evident on Gores 1-yard td when Anthony Davis stuffed Suh to allow the gap to open. #90 did not like that one bit, and he let it show. Now I don't want to say Detroit is overrated cause they are a good team with the big playmakers. But I will say that the Detroit crowd noise and **cough, the refs, cough cough* made that game as close as it was. If Lions players and fans get their wish, and we do meet them again in the playoffs, it's gonna be at the Stick and well, I have a good feeling on how thats gonna turn out. NINERS FAITHFUL FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!

good post.......but Delmas also silenced VD

Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I thought the refs were just terrible, for both sides.

True Lions fans have valid issues with the refs as well. I mean the refs gave the Niners 5 extra yards on a drive in which they scored by a small margin. And that horse collar call on Gore was garbage. That wasn't even close to a horse collar. I think at some point the refs thought they were the stars on the game.
  • jdean
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by SportsFan:
What are you talking about man? What about the facemask on Alex that wasn't called. The refs were bad but they called way more s**t on us then the Lions. The Lions D-line was jumping way early and causing us to move. Half of the false starts were on the Lions, not us.

Some people don't like to make excuses. I on the other hand, like to call things for what they are. And yes, the Lions were able to get away with things all game that we were not. The only thing that went our way was the penalty against Gore, which hardly offset all the crap we had to put up with. I'm also reading that we got an extra five yards on a late spot, but who cares, we got about -100 yards on crap calls, including the worst PI call I've seen in my life.

This zebra crew should be eliminated from the NFL as I've never seen a worse display.

look at the penalty on davis just before the half for illegal formation, not being on the line, check out where his foot was. it was on the ? yard line. then when they ran the next play it was behind the line. so why no penalty on that play. because the first one was bogus.
With how badly that game was officiated I have to be honest..I can't believe we weren't flagged for the sack by Brooks where Stafford ducked his head and Brooks tapped him on the shoulder/helmet as he went by

We have been flagged 15 yards for an illegal blow to the head for that BS in the past.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by yoshi:

This guy is worst. Always make plainly disadvantageous call to the Niners.

yea, he fkn sux.
I re-watched the game last night and the way the ref "threw" penalty flag for the horse-collar was hilarious. Gore was tackled, the play was over for 5 seconds, and then the sideline judge/ref casually placed the yellow flag on the ground.
Share 49ersWebzone