There are 245 users in the forums

Referees in Detroit game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • lyer
  • Veteran
If you watch davis he false starts nearly every friggin play, he's just so quick off the snap. that was one of the early false starts and it was ticky tack. The niners did make a lot stupid penalties on their own. What should be said about this game is how they over came the 15 (17 called) penalties and two turnovers, to win against a really good team.
[ Edited by lyer on Oct 17, 2011 at 12:04 PM ]
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Seemed like detroit was screwed more so than us. Our penalties were stupid ones... Kicking the ball, False starts, encroachment, offsides, challenging a reviewed play, etc

you guys are reaching here

i disagree, some of the false starts were a given, but there is almost some form of a false start on every play. And the refs sure were trying to call it on us. The refs really were trying to keep the Lions undefeated, it was b.s.

Lions should be embarassed for losing to a team, after they paid the refs to help them win the game.

What? "almost some form of a false start on every play." ????

paid the refs? do you not remember the false start we got away with when Anthony Davis jumped... he threw the flag then withdrew it.
Calls went both ways. Some sucked against us. Some sucked for us. As fans, you get upset about bad calls obviously, but all you really want most is for the officials to not change the course of the game - a la the Dallas the game.
Loved Harbaugh's penalty because it was a great example of how over officiated the NFL has become while not making sense doing it. It was a meaningless 15 yard penalty added on to a kickoff that had absolutely no benefit to the Lions- and we got to keep our red flag. Just to piss the officials off, I would always ask for a review.
Seemed like detroit was screwed more so than us. Our penalties were stupid ones... Kicking the ball, False starts, encroachment, offsides, challenging a reviewed play, etc

i disagree, some of the false starts were a given, but there is almost some form of a false start on every play. And the refs sure were trying to call it on us. The refs really were trying to keep the Lions undefeated, it was b.s.

Lions should be embarassed for losing to a team, after they paid the refs to help them win the game.

paid the refs? do you not remember the false start we got away with when Anthony Davis jumped... he threw the flag then withdrew it.

they were trying not to make it that obvious they are one sided.. remember one false start they called on Delanie Walker? i didn't see him move, i saw the Lions DE move but they called it on Walker..
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Awful just awful

I was sooooo pissed about stupid Dashon kicking the ball!! That was just plain dumb to do something like that.

the issue i had was the lack of calls against their o-line. there were a load of holding calls they got away with. our dline was raping their oline late in the game.
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
Loved Harbaugh's penalty because it was a great example of how over officiated the NFL has become while not making sense doing it. It was a meaningless 15 yard penalty added on to a kickoff that had absolutely no benefit to the Lions- and we got to keep our red flag. Just to piss the officials off, I would always ask for a review.

I think that penalty is a bit silly. The penalty only gets assessed to the kickoff, when a lot of kickoffs end in touchbacks anyway. To be quite honest, if they really wanted that to be a REAL penalty, they would make you forfeit the challenge or something.
The calls were BS and at first I thought they were against us I later realized they had some BS calls against Detriot. All in all it evened out but they need to let these boys play.

Originally posted by lyer:
If you watch davis he false starts nearly every friggin play, he's just so quick off the snap. that was one of the early false starts and it was ticky tack. The niners did make a lot stupid penalties on their own. What should be said about this game is how they over came the 15 (17 called) penalties and two turnovers, to win against a really good team.

I'd have to disagree with this part. I think Detroit is more or less, "one-dimensional" on both sides of the ball. On offense they are always relying on big plays, usually dialing up Megatron. They can't pound the ball with the run, and Staffords accuracy (at least from what I seen) is average at best. He just throws it up and depends on C.J to bring it down. And considering the fact that C.J can't run routes very well, it makes it realistic to keep him out of the endzone if the D stays physical with him. Chris Culliver did a helluva job exploiting that. Don't get me wrong, C.J had a nice game....statistically. And most of his catches came when he was lined up against Tarrell Brown.But not a one of his plays was potential "game-changer" status. And as far as their D goes, they have a monster line and thats it. Linebackers are soft and their DBs arent amazing either. I was especially expecting a bigger game from Delmas, he went virtually unnoticed. But back to the D-line, I said they're monster cause, well, they are. But I noticed something yesterday..They don't like getting punched back!!!! Suh and Williams are used to being the bullies in the trenches so when an O-line comes in and starts bullying them around I think they get frustrated. This was evident on Gores 1-yard td when Anthony Davis stuffed Suh to allow the gap to open. #90 did not like that one bit, and he let it show. Now I don't want to say Detroit is overrated cause they are a good team with the big playmakers. But I will say that the Detroit crowd noise and **cough, the refs, cough cough* made that game as close as it was. If Lions players and fans get their wish, and we do meet them again in the playoffs, it's gonna be at the Stick and well, I have a good feeling on how thats gonna turn out. NINERS FAITHFUL FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
It seemed like the refs were a little slanted to the home team in the calls they made.

VanDem Bosch seemed offside on the first play of the game (jumping the snap) when the fumble happend.
Some of the false starts, it looked like some of the Detroit players had come across early and induced the 49er offensive linemen to move early. It looked on tv like Harbaugh was complaining about this to the refs.

Sorry I dont have the video to support. Did anybody else see it this way too?

KVB did jump early and a flag should have been thrown. We got called for the exact same thing later in the game. Detroit got a ton of calls and no-calls to go their way, and we still won! A testament to how good our team is this year. I knew they would be great! The talent has been there for multiple seasons!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
They gave us and extra five yards.

Yet, when the 49ers' offense took the field, the ball mysteriously was spotted at the 35. There was no penalty called on the play. (Thanks to Twitter follower @LRushing0718 for initially bringing this to my attention.)

The 49ers needed every yard they could get at that point in the game. It took them eight plays to go 35 yards for the go-ahead score, which came on Alex Smith's fourth-down pass for a 6-yard touchdown to Walker.

Read more: 49ers notes: Not a smooth day for refs in Detroit Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

What are you talking about man? What about the facemask on Alex that wasn't called. The refs were bad but they called way more s**t on us then the Lions. The Lions D-line was jumping way early and causing us to move. Half of the false starts were on the Lions, not us.
Originally posted by trizzil:

they were trying not to make it that obvious they are one sided.. remember one false start they called on Delanie Walker? i didn't see him move, i saw the Lions DE move but they called it on Walker..
Yea I rember that penalty..only Walker DID move. It's called a reciever going into motion. (Legal play for those that don't know)
Share 49ersWebzone