There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How about that Bruce Miller

  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,800
Originally posted by ptw1:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by ptw1:
I get that but 2 million on the salary cap is 10 million dollars in a signing bonus on a 5 year contract. So, 2 million isnt nothing.

WHUT?

a 10 million dollar signing bonus on a 5 year contract is a 2 million cap hit per year.

I think that you are confused.

Where did you get the notion that Miller is guaranteed 10 million over 5 years or got a 10 million signing bonus?

I have looked and have not been able to get the numbers for this contract.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 21, 2014 at 1:37 PM ]
  • ptw1
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 266
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by ptw1:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by ptw1:
I get that but 2 million on the salary cap is 10 million dollars in a signing bonus on a 5 year contract. So, 2 million isnt nothing.

WHUT?

a 10 million dollar signing bonus on a 5 year contract is a 2 million cap hit per year.

I think that you are confused.

Where did you get the notion that Miller is guaranteed 10 million over 5 years or got a 10 million signing bonus?

I have looked and have not been able to get the numbers for this contract.

i'm not confused as i was not commenting on miller's actual contract figures since they're unknown at this point. a poster previously noted that only a couple fb's make over 2 mill a year so with miller being paid with the highest is no big deal. my point was even 2 mill is significant for cap purposes.
[ Edited by ptw1 on Mar 21, 2014 at 1:50 PM ]
  • Disp
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,400
But it's not. It entirely depends on how the deal is structured, and no one knows the details yet. Anything else is just speculation. The team had an $18mil. cap hit for Willis in 2012. For 2013 thru the end it averages out to about $8.25 mil. against the cap though.
Well he has 1.389 left for this year plus you add in 3 years at 2-2.5 million it's likely 4 years 7.389-8.889 mil. Max it's probably 3 mil a year which is 4 years 10.389 mil. That is unless they gave him a raise this year which is unlikely. They could load some more onto this year so there is less cap hit in the future.

Yeah that year Disp we moved up like 8-10 million from the others years of his contract since we had extra cap room that year. Yeah we can only speculate how the contract is spread out but we can take a pretty good guess on the average he gets.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 21, 2014 at 2:50 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,800
Originally posted by ptw1:
i'm not confused as i was not commenting on miller's actual contract figures since they're unknown at this point. a poster previously noted that only a couple fb's make over 2 mill a year so with miller being paid with the highest is no big deal. my point was even 2 mill is significant for cap purposes.

OK. I did not understand where the numbers came from.

Thanks.
Bruce Miller was getting better at catching out of the backfield and then he got hurt

Look forward to more production from him and McDonald this year
Originally posted by ptw1:
a 10 million dollar signing bonus on a 5 year contract is a 2 million cap hit per year.

Except for...

A.) No, not necessarily.

and

B.) Who said anything about a $10 million signing bonus?
Originally posted by ptw1:
i'm not confused as i was not commenting on miller's actual contract figures since they're unknown at this point. a poster previously noted that only a couple fb's make over 2 mill a year so with miller being paid with the highest is no big deal. my point was even 2 mill is significant for cap purposes.

$2 million is barely 1.5% of this year's salary cap ($133 million). And next year's cap is projected to be $7 million higher than this year's.

Even if Bruce Miller is going to have a $2million per year cap hit for the next five years, which none of us know to be true at this point, it is not going to affect the team negatively in any way. $2 million is not in any way significant for cap purposes.
Originally posted by buck:
OK. I did not understand where the numbers came from.

Thanks.

These numbers...

Originally posted by ptw1:
2 million on the salary cap is 10 million dollars in a signing bonus on a 5 year contract.

...came from nowhere. Nor does that sentence (phrase?) mean anything.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,800
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by buck:
OK. I did not understand where the numbers came from.

Thanks.

These numbers...

Originally posted by ptw1:
2 million on the salary cap is 10 million dollars in a signing bonus on a 5 year contract.

...came from nowhere. Nor does that sentence (phrase?) mean anything.

If the actual numbers are not available, it seems pointless to talk about the numbers. Not only does it seem pointless, it confuses the simple and slow ones such as me.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 21, 2014 at 6:49 PM ]
Originally posted by ptw1:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by ptw1:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by ptw1:
I get that but 2 million on the salary cap is 10 million dollars in a signing bonus on a 5 year contract. So, 2 million isnt nothing.

WHUT?

a 10 million dollar signing bonus on a 5 year contract is a 2 million cap hit per year.

I think that you are confused.

Where did you get the notion that Miller is guaranteed 10 million over 5 years or got a 10 million signing bonus?

I have looked and have not been able to get the numbers for this contract.

i'm not confused as i was not commenting on miller's actual contract figures since they're unknown at this point. a poster previously noted that only a couple fb's make over 2 mill a year so with miller being paid with the highest is no big deal. my point was even 2 mill is significant for cap purposes.

I dont argue cap numbers around here, we have AB, NC and Gore to hash all of that out for us. But let me ask this. If it would have taken 2 million to have him against SEA in the NFCCG would anyone around here batted an eye? Hell No. Bruce would have been there to take on the blocks, open the lanes for Frank, take the checkdowns.

I see what you are getting at. You see the big numbers that we have coming up in Kaep, Crabs, Aldon, Iupati, etc...and think that this matters in the slightest that it MAY BE for 2 million per year. With the numbers that important players get these days, to have a contibuter such as Miller at only 2 mil, I'll take that every day of the week. We'll be able to figure out the numbers for the big hitters when that day comes. (not to say Miller isnt a big hitter)

Whats the other side of the coin? We let him play out his deal, then take a gamble in the draft and pay that guy 570,000 and let a proven cog to our O walk away? For a sum of 1.5? That doesnt make much sense. The FB doesnt get much use in todays NFL with all of the WR sets of 4 and 5, but its needed in how we run our game, so even if it is for the 2 mil that we are discussing, which we dont know for sure, I think we got a hell of a deal.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,800
Why all the worry about the cap numbers for Miller?

My sense is that 49ers have a pretty good team working on contracts and the salary cap.

As I reported earlier, Bruce Miller lowered his 2014 base salary down to $645,000, along with new base salaries of $1.1 million in 2015, $1.25 million in 2016, and $1.45 million in 2017, he also received a $1.786 million signing bonus.

He also is eligible for $160,000 per game roster bonuses in 2015-2017, along with $40,000 workout bonuses in 2015-2017. He also has $200,000 escalators for 2015-2017, base on making the pro bowl the previous year.

The 3-year extension is worth $5.4 million.


http://ninercaphell.com/2014/03/24/full-details-bruce-millers-extension-officially/

http://ninercaphell.com/bruce-miller/
[ Edited by AB81Rules on Mar 24, 2014 at 4:25 PM ]
Wow how the heck does that make him one of the top paid FBs in the game when guys like Tolbert and Reese are making twice that. Leech, McClain, etc probably had bigger contracts than that at one point too. I guess unless they are just comparing him to the non RB type FB's unlike Tolbert.

Anyways, 1.8 average per season... 3 years 5.4 million plus he lowered his 2014 salary so it's not 1.389 mil anymore. Means he's making about 4 years 6 million which is an average of 1.5 per. That is an absolute steal they could have paid him 2.5-3 per and I would have been fine with it. He's one of our most important players.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 24, 2014 at 5:01 PM ]
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
As I reported earlier, Bruce Miller lowered his 2014 base salary down to $645,000, along with new base salaries of $1.1 million in 2015, $1.25 million in 2016, and $1.45 million in 2017, he also received a $1.786 million signing bonus.

He also is eligible for $160,000 per game roster bonuses in 2015-2017, along with $40,000 workout bonuses in 2015-2017. He also has $200,000 escalators for 2015-2017, base on making the pro bowl the previous year.

The 3-year extension is worth $5.4 million.


http://ninercaphell.com/2014/03/24/full-details-bruce-millers-extension-officially/

http://ninercaphell.com/bruce-miller/

that's a good deal for a helluva football player.