There are 430 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How about that Bruce Miller

Nice! Miller will probably go down as one of our best 7th round finds ever.
I gave you a on your PFT post Marv...lol
Best FB in the league
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Best FB in the league

Just curious...how many teams in the league still use a FB, and how many of those teams are elite?
[ Edited by verb1der on Mar 20, 2014 at 3:17 PM ]
I think we would've won the nfccg if Miller was healthy... He was the third leading receiver, Gore's main lead blocker... Basically a huge part of our offense gone due to injury. Smart move to re-sign him.
There are more but I think these teams use a FB: SF, Sea, Pitt, GB, NYG, NO, NYJ, Balt, KC, Minn, OAK, Car, IND, STL, Was, etc

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000325196/article/passing-league-top-nfl-teams-utilize-powerrunning-schemes

That's why the playoffs provided a hint at a trend that's emerging in the NFL. Teams like the Patriots, Seahawks, Saints and 49ers used a variety of power-based formations to effectively move the ball.

Poring over statistics from the 2013 campaign, I found this interesting nugget: Nine of the top 12 teams in terms of rushing attempts made the postseason.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 20, 2014 at 3:35 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
There are more but I think these teams use a FB: SF, Sea, Pitt, GB, NYG, NO, NYJ, Balt, KC, Minn, OAK, Car.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000325196/article/passing-league-top-nfl-teams-utilize-powerrunning-schemes

That's why the playoffs provided a hint at a trend that's emerging in the NFL. Teams like the Patriots, Seahawks, Saints and 49ers used a variety of power-based formations to effectively move the ball.

Poring over statistics from the 2013 campaign, I found this interesting nugget: Nine of the top 12 teams in terms of rushing attempts made the postseason.

Ahh...I was just curious, cause it seems that FBs are a dying breed of players. And I wouldn't be surprised if out of all those teams above, we're the only one who has a FB in the base personnel.
It will be great to have him back! We haven't had a big time FB like Miller since Rathman and Floyd!
Originally posted by Gore_21:
There are more but I think these teams use a FB: SF, Sea, Pitt, GB, NYG, NO, NYJ, Balt, KC, Minn, OAK, Car, IND, STL, Was, etc

Makes sense. A higher # of rushing attempts usually means a few things:

1. You're playing with a lead.

2. You're controlling the LOS.

3. You're controlling TOP.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Mar 20, 2014 at 3:39 PM ]
Originally posted by verb1der:
Ahh...I was just curious, cause it seems that FBs are a dying breed of players. And I wouldn't be surprised if out of all those teams above, we're the only one who has a FB in the base personnel.

They are, went from every team in the league having one to about half. Then of those half maybe half of those use them in a base formation/most of the game. Probably us, seattle, minnesota, baltimore?, Oak?, car?, etc. Most of the teams take them out in certain passing situations. Like GB and NE when they go spread I think they lose their FB. I'm just guessing though; don't quote me on this stuff.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 20, 2014 at 3:45 PM ]
Good for Bruce. Stay on the field next year big guy, we need ya.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Just curious...how many teams in the league still use a FB, and how many of those teams are elite?
WE are elite, thus WE are one of these teams who set the mark what is elite and what is not.
i just wanna sniff his fingers.

Bruce is huge in our running game. I like him catching the ball too. We missed him after he was hurt.