There are 173 users in the forums

Who stays and who goes....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Offense:
Iupati: He goes. He will get huge money on his next contract. Brandon Thomas and Marcus Martin will battle for his spot (if Kilgore beats Martin out at C).
Crabtree: He goes. His subpar season will not demand huge money, but think back to his rookie contract...He wanted more than he was worth then too.
V. Davis: He goes. Trade him if possible. One of the biggest fall offs in performance (specifically run blocking) I can remember.
Gore: He stays. Hyde becomes feature back and Gore has a role.

Defense:
J. Smith: He goes (I am hoping for reverse psychology and that he won't retire).
Brooks: He goes. Trade or release he needs to go.
Culliver: He stays. He will probably get slightly overpaid but we need his size and skill set.
Cox: He stays. He misses a tackle now and then but he is very solid. If he wants Culliver money then he goes.

Assistant Coaches:
Roman: He goes. Can't get TE's the ball and couldn't teach Kaep to read the pass rush protections.
Fangio: He stays. If we get an offensive minded HC then why get rid of this scheme? If he goes be prepared to switch to a 4-3.
Tomsula: He stays. This guy has been a great coach going back to his NFL Europe days.
There are better 3-4 DC's than Fangio unemployed atm.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:

Name's, or you're talking out of your a**
was Vernon Davis the problem, or was it CK being unable to find him or GR unable to call plays to get him the ball?
Originally posted by deepniner:
was Vernon Davis the problem, or was it CK being unable to find him or GR unable to call plays to get him the ball?

that's the scary part, it could be any of the 3, no one knows

and if VD was the problem, the question becomes was it because he was hurt, checked out, or finished as a player? he's the biggest wild card for our offense next yr
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

CK found him just fine the prior years

Kap needs a security blanket TE not named Vance. Heath miller Jason Witten mold. These guys get no separation and are as much a part of the blocking scheme as the receiving. While VD is a great blocker, he has relied on separation and athletiscm his entire life. If those things aren't gone, they have diminished.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by znk916:

that's the scary part, it could be any of the 3, no one knows

and if VD was the problem, the question becomes was it because he was hurt, checked out, or finished as a player? he's the biggest wild card for our offense next yr

Not sure what the problems were but his drop off from last year to this year might be considered alarming.

I do not really know what caused this drop, but I do think it was a combination of factors.

Davis hurt his back this year and back backs are no joke. His bad back definitely had an impact.

Kaepernick was the quarterback last year and this year. Kaepernick's drop off this year has to considered a contributing factor.

His mind set cannot be ignored. His focus on his "brand" and his mini-hold out combined with the general tension on the team may have contributed.
I think he did express some displeasure with the offensive play calling. I think his mind set contributed

I maybe way off base, but artists (in my personal experience) tend to be rather sensitive, and Davis is an artist. Maybe, and this is wild speculation, this magnified the problems.

[ Edited by buck on Dec 31, 2014 at 12:35 PM ]
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Not sure what the problems were but his drop off from last year to this year might be considered alarming.

I do not really know what caused this drop, but I do think it was a combination of factors.

Davis hurt his back this year and back backs are no joke. His bad back definitely had an impact.

Kaepernick was the quarterback last year and this year. Kaepernick's drop off this year has to considered a contributing factor.

His mind set cannot be ignored. His focus on his "brand" and his mini-hold out combined with the general tension on the team may have contributed.
I think he did express some displeasure with the offensive play calling. I maybe way off base, but artists in my experience tend to be rather sensitive, and Davis is an artist. I think his mind set contributed.

Honestly, I think this is the first year Davis had to PLAY with a significant injury. That injury being in his back only compounds the issue. I have TOS, and I'll tell ya, that's worse than blowing out an ankle or dislocating a shoulder. And it never goes away. The loss of coordination alone is an adjustment that I'm still making.
[ Edited by Geeked on Dec 31, 2014 at 12:37 PM ]
Eric Mangini goes obviously. I would stop burning dollars over Johnny Morton too. Holy s**t i never will believe the lack of production at receiver for so many years, its got to end now.

Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Eric Mangini goes obviously. I would stop burning dollars over Johnny Morton too. Holy s**t i never will believe the lack of production at receiver for so many years, its got to end now.

Simplest just to say, sack all the O coaching staff with the possible exception of Tom Rathman.
Originally posted by WINiner:

LMAO

Come on.

Sorry, but Kap and Roman weren't the ones dropping easy catches. That was all VD.
I just want Gore/Iupati/Cully/Cox/Smith back. Maybe Skuta on a 1 year. Let Crabs walk
If it comes down to Cully or Cox have to go with Cully. Cox will be cheaper. If we draft another running back early it would be an indication that Frank is gone. He would fit perfectly in NE. Iupati seemed more motivated as the season wore on, maybe the big money doesn't surface and he stays at a reasonable number. I too would like more of a security blanket at tight end, Vernon has many things going on, is football still his #1 priority?
Share 49ersWebzone