There are 110 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How about that Bruce Miller

Where is a William Floyd or a mike alstott when you need them?
My guess is Carrier has been doing a lot of Millers passing game responsibilities in practice as his backup, and Dixon the same with regards to the running game. Definitely a significant blow but you have to imagine the team has contingency plans at each position/role. Just like we used 2 guys to replace Aldon (skuta and Lemonier) I think we use 2 guys to replace miller (carrier and Dixon, carrier and marecic, mcondald/celek/marecic/Dixon/carrier, etc)
[ Edited by cory4903 on Dec 16, 2013 at 1:52 PM ]
Put a call in to Fred Beasley!
or Bill Brasky!
This sucks. I didn't like him being split out wide but as a run blocker Miller was probably top 3 in the entire league at the FB position.
He's on the way

Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Jason Schepler > Owen Marecic

I want Jason Schepler! That guy is a beast! Is he on our practice squad? He just crushes people with his blocks!
Originally posted by Wrathman:

I want Jason Schepler! That guy is a beast! Is he on our practice squad? He just crushes people with his blocks!

I actually had him making the team in one of my original pre-53 picks (for this very reason).
Originally posted by ltrain:
or Bill Brasky!

He would make an awesome fullback. Or he could just beat the Falcons by himself playing both ways and special teams.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran

completely right on that. schepler would help us the most. he blocks as well as miller--even delivers a better punch on blocks in tight spaces; not as good in space, though. dixons not the answer for blocking duties. marecic can't blow up defenders like schep. gotta go with schepler.

ps, we need some chuck jacobs quickness out there, also. manningham is a little gimpy, and his quickness is not making plays.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
I think bringing back owen is not a bad thing. He's very familiar with the offense already and he's a guy that Harbaugh loves.

BUT THERE ARE TWO REPLACEMENTS ON THE TEAM WHO SHOULD GET MORE ACTION

Anthony Dixon would be very interesting to put in the offense. Let's hope that he knows the playbook enough to be the fullback. I get this feeling that Harbaugh and Company doesn't really trust Dixon for whatever reason, maybe it's warranted reason, I don't know. But it would be great to have another weapon out of the backfield, Dixon can catch and block, he's just not 250 like Miller.

The other guy that will get more work is Vance McDonald. I see him taking over more of the Miller role.

But it's a huge loss for the Niners because of the work that Miller has been doing and his timing with Gore and he's been a nice target for Colin and very surehanded.

And finally, it wasn't Colin's fault that Miller got hurt. It's just an unfortunate play.

McDonald is not a very good blocker at this point.

It puzzles me how the 49ers can move up to take McDonald, passing on Ertz and Eifert. Now both of those guys have substantial roles on their teams but McDonald has done almost nothing on the 49ers. I thought he was supposed to be the next Delanie Walker. He not only isn't another Swiss Army knife, he isn't even a finger nail trimmer at this point.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by GNS1310:
Paging Owen Marecic

Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN8m
Jim Harbaugh said FB Bruce Miller has an injury "that doesn't look good" to his scapula (shoulder blade). 49ers likely to add Owen Marecic.

Eff you Baalke/Harbaugh! I warned fans ALL year he was silently one of our best offensive players/MVP's. I said we needed to start developing a real FB behind him just in case. I got excited when we brought in Owen b/c he was a pretty pure FB. Cut. And then we risk Miller in the passing game all year. Screwed if he's out...

Gotta agree with you there. For a team that prefers/depends on power running as the core of its offense, not having a backup FB is not good player management, IMO. We kept some WRs on the roster that HaRo had no intention of actually using instead of having that backup jackhammer FB that makes the running game run.

It's a bit of hindsight now but Miller was a more critical piece than most realized. If it is a broken scapula, he is certainly out for the playoffs. That is one of those bones that does not get a high blood flow, hence it tends to heal more slowly than a clavicle. Let's hope Marecic has some magic here. I am rather skeptical. No other team has found a use for him. That does not bode well for filling such an important role.

He is CRITICAL to our running game and for whatever reason, is targeted on offense more than a guy like Mario Manningham. He suits our offensive philsophy. Period. I wonder if Owen is even in shape at all at this juncture of the season.

But Miller is a true blocker...knows all the plays, proper angles and often times blocks 2 and even 3 guys on ONE play. There is no way we can replace him with a guy like Dixon or McDonald/Celek as inline blockers for Gore. We may see more I-back formations? Either way, I bet Roman is #$%^&*() his pants right now.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran

It puzzles me how the 49ers can move up to take McDonald, passing on Ertz and Eifert. Now both of those guys have substantial roles on their teams but McDonald has done almost nothing on the 49ers. I thought he was supposed to be the next Delanie Walker. He not only isn't another Swiss Army knife, he isn't even a finger nail trimmer at this point.

mcdonald's college film did not warrant moving up for him. he's like taylor mays: great body, but who cares if it doesn't translate to athletic, on-field playmaking.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
I think bringing back owen is not a bad thing. He's very familiar with the offense already and he's a guy that Harbaugh loves.

BUT THERE ARE TWO REPLACEMENTS ON THE TEAM WHO SHOULD GET MORE ACTION

Anthony Dixon would be very interesting to put in the offense. Let's hope that he knows the playbook enough to be the fullback. I get this feeling that Harbaugh and Company doesn't really trust Dixon for whatever reason, maybe it's warranted reason, I don't know. But it would be great to have another weapon out of the backfield, Dixon can catch and block, he's just not 250 like Miller.

The other guy that will get more work is Vance McDonald. I see him taking over more of the Miller role.

But it's a huge loss for the Niners because of the work that Miller has been doing and his timing with Gore and he's been a nice target for Colin and very surehanded.

And finally, it wasn't Colin's fault that Miller got hurt. It's just an unfortunate play.

Well first of all, Ertz and Eifert were both selected well ahead of McDonald.. Second of all, those guys aren't competing with vernon davis for getting routes to run. McDonald is usually in to block
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
schelper's the guy. he'll buckle a fool's knees when it's time to take care of business.