LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Alex Smith Total QBR for week 6: 10.3

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by hofer36:
Smith was solid if not spectacular in the 1st half...he put perfect touch on a pass downfield along the sideline that crabtree let go through his hands....he put the ball in walker's hands in the end zone in 3rd quarter but it was dropped...he threaded the pass to crabtree along sideline that was incomplete when crabs came downwith only 1 leg (twice)..the long pass in end zone to ginn is probably a td if ted doesnt stumble

the pass rush got to smith in 2nd half, he wasnt setting his feet and his passes were sailing...but he rebounded from the pick and threw a CLUTCH winning score to hubert delanie walker...i could give a rip what his qb rating was

Thank you for this post! I was trying to compose something along these lines but can't top your post!
Originally posted by IWasWrongRubber:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by 76Razor:
haven't read through all the posts. but has anyone mentioned the one thing Alex did yesterday that does not show up on stats? KEEPING HIS TEAM POISED WHEN ON THE FIELD! Last year (and beyond), if we were to start off a game as bad as we did, this team would have been blown out. Alex kept his poise, got his team to calm down and settle in. He took what the defense gave him and correctly audible into plays that took advantage of the lion's d. No stat will ever show that, but if you watched the game, you can see that he had full command of that offense and the players in that huddle.

boom! headshot.

the QB position is about a lot more than numbers. Does Alex need to improve? Absolutely. But he's doing a lot of other things that a QB needs to do in order to help his team win, but they don't show those things on ESPN so a lot of fans don't know what to think about them.

I'm going to eat crow again here. Plenty of it to go around today.

People -- I've been the biggest Alex critic in the house. You know me (well, you used to know me as billbird2111 before I made a stupid bet with Rubberneck). But I never thought Alex would be any good. I turned against him YEARS ago.

Alex had some "Alex moments" in yesterday's game. The sack and fumble? Lack of pocket awareness? High passes -- including one that got picked? The old Alex was on full display yesterday against the Lions.

Except for one eensy, teensy thing: Games like that, in the past, would have destroyed Alex Smith. It would have destroyed his confidence from the get-go. One mistake would multiply into a highlight reel of one blunder after another. You know this to be true. We've all seen it happen before. We've seen Alex play some horrific games.

Not anymore. Not this season. Something is different with the kid -- and I'm going to put this all on Harbaugh. Quite simply? It doesn't matter if he makes a mistake. The defense picks him up. If he throws a pass destined for pickoff -- the receiver breaks it up. We've seen this time and time again this season. And Alex Smith bounces right off the field and gets right back at that line of scrimmage and keeps chuckin.

I haven't seen this out of him before. Nobody has. One killer of a mistake isn't translating into a highlight reel of blunders. It's one mistake. That's all it is. It doesn't mean we're in for a horrific afternoon of Alex Smith football. Alex moves on. And that's the big change. He couldn't "move on" before. Now he is.

Dammit! Alex Smith is pretty darn good, ladies. It's about time we backed our man the way Harbaugh is. I'm man enough to stand up and say I was flat wrong about Alex Smith.

I hope others can do the same -- because this kid is going to lead us into the playoffs -- guaranteed.

And I thought I'd never see that day.

well said, billbird.

Smith had a bad game. His first "bad" game in awhile. And he was still good enough to win. that's what good players, and good teams do--they win, even when they play poorly. Even in his worst game of the season Alex proved that he's a pretty good QB. Not elite, not great. But he's good, and we're winning, and I don't think anyone thought we'd be able to say that, six games into the season.
Originally posted by dj43:
Any post that mentions Aaron Rodgers and does not also credit the fact he has THE BEST set of receivers in the NFL is not fully accurate. Right now Rodgers is throwing to the best in the league and Alex Smith has Vernon Davis and the next best guy is Crabtree who hasn't even practiced with the team prior to the start of the season. Rodgers has a full quiver of sharpened arrows. Smith is throwing round rocks at a dead stump.

I only mentioned that because people will argue that the WCO is predicated on short passes so Alex's down field statistics are skewed. Rodgers is currently the ultimate WCO QB in the league with tremendous down field passing stats.
I decided to eat crow for hating on Alex this week, forget parts of my earlier posts.
Just shows you how much the new total QBR is worth. No rating system can tell you just how difficult that 4th down TD throw was. Some QB's are great at throwing for 400 yards in a loss and some are good for making them count when they need to. Smith made them count when they needed to. Stafford did not, its as simple as that and the reasons why the niners finished. The entire team is taking on that attitude.
i think some of you have mistaken my motives for posting this thread.... i am not bashing on alex, far from it. i just want to point out how freaking dumb this new rating system is.

it has a lot of emphasis on a QB's running ability (cam newton 0 tds, 3 ints, 1 rushing td, 80+ total QBR rating)
that is all
Well I think we can all agree.....

WHO'S GOT IT BETTER THAN US????? NNNNNOOOOOOOOBBBBOOOOOODDDDYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/09000d5d823349a3/Harbaugh-s-locker-room-speech?module=HP11_hot_topics
I have a close friend who is a huge Alex hater, and I made sure from week to week to keep tabs on his "concrete opinion" about Alex...I asked him again after yesterday's game, he said "ok, extend him a 2 year contract..."

[ Edited by verb1der on Oct 17, 2011 at 12:11 PM ]
the fact that it was good playcalling and the OL stepping up that has been almost the ENTIRE reason Smith looks way better, just makes every Niner fan who hated Smith look stupid. Ive been preaching the poor coaching and OL play was killing Smith for YEARS, and everyone wanted to pile the blame on Smith. this season has been sweet after all these years defending Smith.
Originally posted by Niners99:
the fact that it was good playcalling and the OL stepping up that has been almost the ENTIRE reason Smith looks way better, just makes every Niner fan who hated Smith look stupid. Ive been preaching the poor coaching and OL play was killing Smith for YEARS, and everyone wanted to pile the blame on Smith. this season has been sweet after all these years defending Smith.

Agree, but will include myself as an AS appreciator. There are quite a few of us and the polls were usually pro-Alex. The loud minority who seem personally insulted by Smith's existence is growing smaller...at last!

That system is wack......
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
We still haven't played a good team IMO... If he does it to the packers, or ravens or something......

Look at the records of the teams that the 49ers beat: Bengals 4-2, Bucs 4-2, Lions 5-1. While the Eagles have a losing record now, more often than not they close the season strong, so don't count them out.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Agree, but will include myself as an AS appreciator. There are quite a few of us and the polls were usually pro-Alex. The loud minority who seem personally insulted by Smith's existence is growing smaller...at last!

Very true. I just hope the 9ers can improve their WR core. Crabs and Ginn aren't going to cut it. Getting Braylon Edwards back is going to be huge BUT the WR core is still a weak skilled position in our offense. Right now I would rank it 3rd behind RBs and TEs.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I wonder how much work CK and TOLZ will get in the bye week. I see now that in a close game, (future close games) Alex might not be good enough to eek out the win.

... and you expect the rookies will do better?
  • HIMYM
  • Veteran
stats mean nothing if you dont win the game. when it meant the most, Smith came through. period.
Exactly, I thought that's how every great QB is judged. Not by stats alone, but by the last minutes of a game. He delivered more than once if you keep in mind the catch Delanie dropped in the end zone. Also, he wasn't setting his feet on a lot of his throws. The O-line wasn't holding off too long for him to set his feet to make accurate throws.
Share 49ersWebzone